carnuke
Ok, XOOP theme sucks big time, it's drab, I'm through with waiting since 2003
  • 2006/10/18 18:22

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I've respectfully restrained this post since the first time I first saw XOOPS in 2003 and almost passed on because the look of XOOPS left me cold. It's 2006 and I've heard numerous promises and expectations that have not materialised. 3 years is enough time to get a decent theme for xoops! In case programmers have not 'got it' yet, most people are 'VISUALLY ORIENTATED' that means that what they see in the first 3 seconds counts for more intellectual understanding of hours of code innovations. Good code is essential, but there is no point in Rolls Royce engine without some style.

The XOOPS theme is the most ameaturish and unprofessional pile of crap that exists in the CMS world. It is the most un-stylish, unatractive featureless look of all all CMS pages, bar none. This is not only embarrassing, but totally unnecessary, given our vast resources.

I have realised this long ago, but really seen the truth of this when browsing the news thread Launch of the XOOPS portfolio (https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3436) ALL of the site in this portfolio express the skill and originatilty of XOOPS in a far more imaginative way that the this old, drab dinosaur theme at xoops.org. And yet the flagship of xoops.org is still languishing in the dark ages. We occasionally change a colour here and there and make small changes to keep the populus happy, but where is the art, where is the flair, where is the innovation?!

It appears to me that the webmasters of this site are afraid of taking the step of change, not because there is nowhere to go, but because they are afraid the site (xoops.org) might break or, that they will upset some status quo with some old farts.
"So make one that really rocks Carnuke". I hear the retort. Actually I did, and so have many others that are clearly demonstareted on the Portfolio site. and also the numerous theme submission on this site. 'Do one better' is no longer a valid excuse folks. We even have an XHTML standard appearing, but my guess is that it will never happen here on XOOPS because of yet more inertia that will hold it back. Either that, or the next theme tweak will still be plagued with dreary 'fieldset' attributes, bold type and poor graphics that look like 'my first theme' .

Come on... take a risk... be daring creative and imaginative! OK, DON'T,... simply choose one of the 1000 themes that already exist from creative users which have character, style and originality and represent the power of this software. Let this fabulous CMS get a new 'dress' and represent the true potential of it's versatility and strength.

Let's not start a new discussion, or a XOOPS theme site (yawn ... been there before) let's do it, let's actually PRESS THE SUBMIT BUTTON to give XOOPS a new theme that is new, fresh and dazzeling and representative of it's awesome power in today's CMS world !

Ok, that's my rant for the last 3 years. It's been well edited, but really we are un-selling this CMS big time. If no-one has the balls to do this thing, let' be honest and let those that 'can, do the action' so that we can all move forwards.
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

davidl2
Re: Ok, XOOP theme sucks big time, it
  • 2006/10/18 18:46

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

If you mean the one on this site... agreed.. which is why its changed on the forthcoming (and I mean weeks, rather than years!) new sites.

If you mean XOOPS themes in general... well - over the last few months, I think we've seen that's not the case

gestroud
  • 2006/10/18 18:52

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

I'm glad to see this expressed by someone on the XOOPSS team. It'll obviously ruffle some feathers and raise the old argument from when the theme was purchased, but I really agree that XOOPS' site should look as impressive as the CMS itself. XOOPs is the best package going; the site should reflect that. I'm also kind of surprised that your post wasn't censored or deleted like two others were today.

Mithrandir

Agreeing with Carnuke - although I also know that many "exciting" themes are either in use (in which case xoops.org looks like a silly rip-off) or not suited (I tend to like a full-width theme so I don't have a lot of white space on each side).

The theme on devteam.xoops.org is ok'ish, although the navigation and content is much simpler on that site.

Navigation on xoopsdocs.net is nice, but the vast whites make me sleepy.

Could you give some hints as to what it'll look like on the forthcoming sites?
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

carnuke
Re: Ok, XOOPS theme sucks big time, it
  • 2006/10/18 19:03

• carnuke

• Home away from home

Quote:
f you mean the one on this site... agreed.. which is why its changed on the forthcoming (and I mean weeks, rather than years!) new sites.

If you mean XOOPS themes in general... well - over the last few months, I think we've seen that's not the case

I meanhttps://xoops.org main website. I personaly know nothing of any changes ahead. If you refer to a 'wax and polish', that's no good we need a new body altogether.

Quote:
I'm glad to see this expressed by someone on the XOOPSS team. It'll obviously ruffle some feathers and raise the old argument from when the theme was purchased, but I really agree that XOOPS' site should look as impressive as the CMS itself. XOOPs is the best package going; the site should reflect that. I'm also kind of surprised that your post wasn't censored or deleted like two others were today.

OK ... Im not here to ruffle feathers, but maybe to stimulate some action that is positive and creative, I hope!. Let's keep this real simple and procative. It takes about $150 onhttp://www.xoopsdesign.com to get a theme design maybe more for some special features. I personnaly think this company has the skill and credentials to do the job.

Small price to pay for some professional input?
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

nekro
  • 2006/10/18 19:18

• nekro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/11/9

I agree totally with your idea... the xoops.org page have many organization problems... one of theme that looks very old...

I allways use any ocation to protest about the same as allways...

We are really specting the new xoops.org site to make the project go further!... and the next lines is a desperate scream:

Make the modules repository up to date, change the official theme, make the avatars be changed by the users, make the hole site be up to date and be working allright!!!
Finish the new site please!!!

Just like a comment... in the university where i works... we use XOOPS ... but now we are looking ( really my boss ) some other new modules, but is very dificult to find the last version, for the version of XOOPS we are using (2.0.15) easyly and that maked my boss get a little angry with the project... that kind of problems with others too ... makes the people go away from (in my opinion) the BEST CMS project...

Something is true... if somenone can go on with the site administration... let' be honest and let those that 'can, do the action' so that we can all move forwards

Thanks ... Luck ... and dont make it go down...

Mod Note - Do not shout at us please - your post formatting has been editied to be more polite to those who are giving up their free time and goodwill to achieve what you ask for - shouting at us simply makes us want to turn away. You are lucky that you get this free service in the first place. Please be a bit more gracious and polite. We do know what needs to be done but most of us also have families and jobs to consider.

carnuke
  • 2006/10/18 19:36

• carnuke

• Home away from home

OK, here's a proposition: We need to approach a theme designer like xoopsdesign.com and ask them to design a new theme for xoops.org websiste. PLEASE, Let's keep this simple and uncomplicated.

Now there's already a problem. I feel I should be democatic about this whole thing. Throw the issue open to everyone to make a choice of designer, then a selection of themes, then a short list, maybe a competition! Then there's a voting issue ........... Before we know it the whole impulse is lost and we are back to square one again with nothing done. We complicate things so much and we get 'analysis paralysis'

Democracy is great, but it can really complicate and impede the process of change when everyone needs a voice .

I need 5 things here

1- A mandate for change from the webmasters of xoops.org
2- A voice of approval or rejection from users here
3- Some money from xoops.org funds to employ a website designer. (I suggest xoopsdesign.com)
4- Agreement to upload a new theme to xoops.org server.
5- I can... and will press the 'submit' button given the above conditions!

If this degrades into yet more discussion, argument, or difference of opinion, we run the risk of yet another procrastination issue where nothing gets done.

Comments?
search xoops

Marco
  • 2006/10/18 19:54

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

hello friends,

i'm already with others currently working (since last week) on the new module/theme download area. This will be the first subsite to be reniewed, and this area will make use of the new "xoops.org & co" themes.
stay tuned
marco

nb :fyi, this theme (and derivatives) has been made by xoopsdesign
nb2 : fyi, xoops.org will be split into several subsites
nb3 : a clean and professional portfolio will be installed, based on our working area (from www.mdxprod.com)
nb4 : top quality is our aim
Do synergy or die.

Cuidiu
  • 2006/10/18 20:01

• Cuidiu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/4/23

Maybe I missed something and if so, please forgive me as everything's a blur these days (including my vision) but doesn't this thread include something about the xoops.org theme redesign or is that addressing a different issue? Granted, I haven't been in there in a while so maybe something has happened since I first ventured in there.
[size=x-small]Working sites:
XOOPS 2.0.16 PHP 5.2.2, MySQL 5.0.24a-standard-log, Apache/2.0.54 (Unix)
XOOPS 2.2.4, PHP 4.3.10, MySQL 3.23.58, Apache/1.3.33 (Unix)[/size]

[suspendTempri[suspended]

Ok, let's be honest ... XOOPS is not the best CMS around here ... it's kinda old and very PHP-Nukeish. But it's good, I agree.

I have some crazy ideas for theme creation of xoops.org but I will create it only if I get the "Yes" from XOOPS team.

Login

Who's Online

231 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 231

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits