david123
Strange character appearing at top of some pages
  • 2006/10/4 18:40

• david123

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/10/4

At the top of certain pages I'm getting a single character (the letter "f") that shouldn't be there. Module pages display correctly, it's just user login, view profile and edit profile that have this problem. When I view the source for the affected pages, I get the following:

f
wizanda
Re: Strange character appearing at top of some pages
  • 2006/10/4 19:10

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Ok do us a favour where is the site?...so can check something that appered like this on mine....?

david123
  • 2006/10/4 23:42

• david123

• Just popping in

The site isn't open for business yet, but you can see it at:

http://www.neosoftware.com/neobook

Click "Login" in the upper right corner and you will see the problem. You do not need to register.

Thanks for your help!

gestroud
  • 2006/10/5 0:46

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

david,

Quick question: I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem, but the script that's in your theme.html file - is it supposed to be before the < head > tag or within the < head > tags?

david123
  • 2006/10/5 1:32

• david123

• Just popping in

Quote:
Quick question: I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem, but the script that's in your theme.html file - is it supposed to be before the < head > tag or within the < head > tags?

That's a good suggestion. I tried removing that script just now and it didn't make any difference. The HTML source (obtained by right clicking on IE and selecting view source) now looks like:

f

It doesn't seem to be related to the theme since the problem also appears in the default XOOPS theme.

wizanda
  • 2006/10/5 7:05

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Well thankfully it's not the same as mine...
yet your page source is a mess...
a good way to check this is Tidy Pluggin for Firefox; which gives you all problems and causes in any page...plus repairs...
sorry maybe should have mentioned this was my plan last night to check everything....
Just wanted to see if you had an extra frame added anywhere which I have seen happening more across the net.

Sorting them

Quest
  • 2006/10/5 11:44

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

I had this same type of problem several months ago. I posted a question on it and didn't get any help but I finally found the problem and posted it somewhere on here.

I will try to find it.

Quest

Quest
  • 2006/10/5 12:18

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

I just can't seem to find the post that included what I did to get rid of it however I now remember it had to do with the multiblock hack and a php echo being in the code twice.

What version of XOOPS are you running? Have you made any hacks recently just before you noticed this mysterious "f". (mine was a 1, btw) ?

Did you add any new module(s) just before this started happening? If so-try deactivating them one at a time and check to see if the "f" still shows.

If that doesn't do it then I would download a fresh version of the XOOPS from a different location than I got it from the first time and re-upload the modules/SYSTEM folder overiding the one that is there and check to see if that solves the problem.

The reason I suggest the Systerm folder is because it apprears the "f" is showing up in all of the system functions. It is in your Register Here too.

"Always backup your site and database first"

HTHs
Quest

david123
  • 2006/10/5 21:46

• david123

• Just popping in

Thanks for the suggestions! I had been editing some of the language files recently. After scanning the language folder I found the following at the top of the user.php file:

f
Removing the "f" solved the problem. I must have inadvertantly typed the "f" during a recent edit. Dumb mistake.

Thanks very much for your help!

Quest
  • 2006/10/6 13:38

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

Dumb mistakes are those you make while knowing you shouldn't do it in the first place. Otherwise-"to error is human".

U R welcome and glad to see you got it solved.

Quest

Login

Who's Online

327 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 327

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits