n01un0
Re: What BLOG to use?
  • 2006/8/15 12:35

• n01un0

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/10/9

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, WeBLog has not been maintained for quite some time. A real shame. It has a lot of promise for a community oriented Blog module.

It appears there has been some upkeep on this module. There is now a 1.45 version. Found it and an article at xoops-magazine.com

New weBLog version
The ultimate weblog is available as a XOOPS module. You have to try it. The Wordpress weblog is too powerful and big for me, so I am excited about weBLog version 1.42. There were a few drawbacks but we improved them. We took severel improvements available on the internet and combined them to version 1.45.

Improvements:
- anti-trackback-spam from Hodaka:
http://www.kuri3.net/modules/weblog/details.php?blog_id=68

- we included the uploads folder due to error messages when this folder is missing

- We added the file "post.php": You can add weBLog posts with the XOOPS DHTML editor. We added another file, "post.php.KOIVI". Just change that file's name to "post.php" and backup your original post.php to use the Koivi-editor. Then install Koivi-editor and you can easily write posts with this editor.

- some bugfixes

You just have to register first before downloading.

Also of interest, they have a new TinyD with FCKEditor. Just wondering if it will work with 2.2.4:

Some news from Japan. Author "sino" from www.takanashi-it-factory.com changed the module tinyD to be used not only with SPAW-Editor but also with FCKEditor (version 2.3 Build 1054)! Right, with FCKEditor! As usual you can write static text pages, HTML pages, PHP code pages or PEAR wiki pages with tinyD (version 2.22). Just choose your favorite editor on the upper side (see picture). All XOOPS magazine users can download the module including FCKEditor (combined version 0.3 in English and German)

toddherrold

Quote:

metropolis wrote:
Quote:

phppp wrote:
Quote:

metropolis wrote:

And don't expect any support when you write bug reports.

As the author of the module and other modules you also complained, I expect your respect for my past in-time contribution and helpful help.

I am sorry, but I will write down my point of view whenever somebody asks for certain modules.

Your modules are brilliant, but my bugreports are not the only ones you simply don't answer.

I think this is an important point when it comes to the question "do I install this or that module" and support should be taken into consideration.

Whatever the reason is: It's a fact, you don't answer bug reports. Sorry to say that.

I have used all the blog modules and by far and away XPress is the best, most fully functional for a site that wants each member to be able to blog. True, there are some very minor bugs or features in regular Wordpress that do not work on XPress for XOOPS but these are very minor issues. I haven't tried the blog by email thing so I can't say, but be sure that I will. There are plenty of plugins that can avert most spam issues.

Anyway, I have followed phppp's work over the last year and use most of his modules with great success. It really bothers me to see him singled out here for "not answering bug reports." For one thing, phppp has been very active over the last year, has released numerous updates and bug fixes for all his modules, and has basically been singlehandedly keeping XOOPS module development alive over the last year, in my view (my apologies to the other module developers out there that have been also continuing work on their modules but I am unaware of).

The point is that in my view, everyone should be thanking phppp for his consistent efforts. If he's missed some bug reports in the past or recently, well that's just the way it goes in open-source land. . people do this on their own free time and of their own volition and sometimes they don't have as much time as at other times.

As far as the "concern" by the original poster about where XOOPS is going and the level of activity generally by programmers. . well, that is definitely something to consider when deciding to use XOOPS at this time and it is something that all of us who use XOOPS now are equally concerned with. But phppp is the man, and has been one of the few shining lights around here, and comments like metropolis' just serve to drive good, high-integrity programmers, like phppp, away.

metropolis

Quote:

toddherrold wrote:
The point is that in my view, everyone should be thanking phppp for his consistent efforts.

And the point in my view is that everybody should know he will be installing a module with virtually no support.

There are numerous other bugs that I have detected, but I stopped reporting them because phppp doesn't react anyway.

No matter what he has done for the community in the past, I don't think it's a good way to work - and I am simply expressing my opinion about it. I am sorry that I can not be enthusiastic about ignoring bug reports.

wcrwcr
  • 2006/9/2 14:17

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/12/12

@ n01un0

Well, already registered but can?t find the weblog 142 for download.
I only found the files regarding the antispam feature.

Can you point the correct link for us?

Thank you,
Wilson

n01un0
  • 2006/9/2 15:01

• n01un0

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/10/9

Quote:

wcrwcr wrote:
@ n01un0

Well, already registered but canĀ“t find the weblog 142 for download.
I only found the files regarding the antispam feature.

Can you point the correct link for us?

Thank you,
Wilson

http://www.xoops-magazine.com/modules/weblog/details.php?blog_id=9

Peekay
  • 2006/9/2 16:07

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

metropolis wrote:

I am sorry that I can not be enthusiastic about ignoring bug reports.

I don't know if you have ever reported bugs via the bug-tracker in the Module Dev Forge, but I think it would be great if more people used this resource.

The advantage of the tracker is that the developer can confirm that a report is indeed a bug and users can see the resolution e.g. 'Fixed' or 'Next version' or 'None'. For example, as toddherrold says, the CBB tracker shows a large number of bugs that have been fixed. Yet I have seen several posts reporting problems with CBB in the forums that are not listed.

I confess that if I built modules, I wouldn't want to have to keep my eye on all the forums *and* every comment to see if anyone had a problem. Conversely, I don't think users should have to register on a different website to get support. I thought centralising support was the principal aim of Xoops.org.

Making the dev forge trackers more accessible and user-friendly would resolve issues from both perspectives - IMHO
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

phppp
  • 2006/9/2 16:16

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

Peekay wrote:

Making the dev forge trackers more accessible and user-friendly would resolve issues from both perspectives - IMHO

Thanks. This is what is being taken care of.

Developers are also human being.
They would for sure like to see assistance from users and would absolutely be defeated by continuous unreasonable blame -- not stop developing but stop responding.

metropolis
  • 2006/9/4 12:11

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/15

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
Quote:

metropolis wrote:

I am sorry that I can not be enthusiastic about ignoring bug reports.

I don't know if you have ever reported bugs via the bug-tracker in the Module Dev Forge, but I think it would be great if more people used this resource.

Yes, I did. But if you take a look at the wordpress page on dev.xoops.org, you will see, I am the only one who entered a bug there and there never was a reply.

Peekay
  • 2006/9/4 12:47

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

metropolis wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I did. But if you take a look at the wordpress page on dev.xoops.org, you will see, I am the only one who entered a bug there and there never was a reply.

Then the ball is in phppp court!

To be honest, I didn't realise there was a Wordpress page. The search facility is useless (no matches for wordpress, xpress, or CBB) and to manually locate a project you have guess which one of 15 folders it might be in.

I believe there will be some changes soon to improve accessibility.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Defkon1
  • 2006/9/4 12:56

• Defkon1

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/1/27

Quote:

n01un0 wrote:

Improvements:
- anti-trackback-spam from Hodaka:
http://www.kuri3.net/modules/weblog/details.php?blog_id=68

ehm... the linked page seems to be largely attacked by trackback spammers...

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits