snow77
Re: [XOOPS] Designing a default module pack for Xoops Core
  • 2006/8/11 17:01

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

Thank you so much jensclas for opening this space for the document, I will surely use this as the home place for the doc, I am very happy about this. I already saw the place where I can start editing the page. I might need to learn a bit in how to manage the wiki syntaxis but I'll test that at the playground page, I'll let you know if I need any help.

(about some other recent comments about the subject: a little reading and comprehension can come in useful sometimes, a decision is usually followed by an action, the question to be would rather be: how many of us are willing to act?, fortunately actions have the benefit of not needing so many preliminary literature to get started into something)
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

Lance_
  • 2006/8/18 17:51

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Quote:

snow77 wrote:

lance said:
Quote:
I can take half the ball and roll with it.

I'd love to get a couple of packs done, setup and manage demo sites with the packages.

Would you like to manage the demo links(at least of the main feautured modules)?

Does anyone have a suggestion or would like to complement more information to this document?

I just noticed this making an unrelated search. LOL

Please PM me any needs that requires to be filled.

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

snow77
  • 2006/8/20 3:20

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

Lance, well, I was thinking about the demo sites you had in mind. You can see the document I started here:
http://xoopsdocs.net/modules/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:module:manuals

There's a place where to add a demo link.

There's this sitehttp://xoopsmods.mmwebsites.com/ with demos of lots of modules and access to the system admin, I haven't looked at it in detail but some things seem a little out of date. I like alot the reset option there.

It would be nice something that could be up to date, I got a chance to see the site you setup with the 2.3 (http://www.gdl-web.com/xoops230/) version with a quick translation to the news: XOOPS Core development news: This month in svn.

Maybe it would be nice to setup the demo site with this version? What do you think about it?
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

deram
  • 2006/8/30 12:55

• deram

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/10

Quote:

jensclas wrote:
Gosh Solo...this depends so much on what people want to do with their sites and their target audience it could be really difficult...

but I have an idea...at least a 'basic concepts pack' useful for new xoopsers containing some basic and commonly used modules like
-news - because it is the most basic of 'content' we could use
-forum- it's a popular communication tool and a good one to learn the issues of site management, securitym groups and permissions
-downloads - good for learning to use your ftp program well
-faq's - a nice simple module suited to almost any topic - either on how to use a site as a registered user or on the content of the site
-image manger/album in a simple version.
-back up module (can't recall the name right now) - but because we keep reminding ourselves to 'backup' this is an 'essential' tool.

But if you were to package a beginners pack you would also need to have read me files that address the needs of beginers, directs them to the documentation and tutorials etc.

Once a new user got the hang of these modules they would then be better prepared for more complex modules...some of which I use and some I don't. I read about a lot more modules than I actually use!

So much of creating a good site is about discovering which modules best suit your needs. It would be a hard task to choose one module over another for a package unless maybe you 'themed' the pack somehow...

I don't know...just running ideas off the top of my head here now...
Gamers pack
Multimedia pack
Community organisation pack
Ecommerce pack
Information/resource pack

But then again I would be really careful that these modules had appropriate review files because the process of download, install, try, discover it does or doesn't do what i think has been very time consuming....but great learning see....i can't make up my mind on this one! I learned so much doing this even though it took heaps of time that in the end it has been a worthwhile process....

Themed packs sound like a great idea (i haven't read the rest of this tread yet... but unless something speaks against it, I like that idea).

Lance_
  • 2006/8/30 13:11

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Quote:

snow77 wrote:
Lance, well, I was thinking about the demo sites you had in mind. You can see the document I started here:
http://xoopsdocs.net/modules/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:module:manuals

There's a place where to add a demo link.

There's this sitehttp://xoopsmods.mmwebsites.com/ with demos of lots of modules and access to the system admin, I haven't looked at it in detail but some things seem a little out of date. I like alot the reset option there.

It would be nice something that could be up to date, I got a chance to see the site you setup with the 2.3 (http://www.gdl-web.com/xoops230/) version with a quick translation to the news: XOOPS Core development news: This month in svn.

Maybe it would be nice to setup the demo site with this version? What do you think about it?

Sounds good, I can put up a demo site from the xoopslance site. I will look into the db reset aspects.

The module list is good.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

solo71
  • 2006/8/30 13:15

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

Here is my Top 30. Sorry, it's in french, but I think you have the general idea...

giba
  • 2006/8/30 18:05

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

Quote:

solo71 wrote:
Here is my Top 30. Sorry, it's in french, but I think you have the general idea...

Yes, Mix moduels top 30 solo is 90% all modules use in media

Look voted result partial

Quote:

Expirará em 10/09/2006 22:09
news 4 % 4 % (96)
article 2 % 2 % (50)
edito 1 % 1 % (27)
WF-Downloads 3 % 3 % (63)
MyDownloads 1 % 1 % (38)
PdDownloads 0 % 0 % (18)
Rmdp 1 % 1 % (23)
XoopsPoll 3 % 3 % (71)
Survey 1 % 1 % (23)
WF-Faq 1 % 1 % (22)
SmartFaq 1 % 1 % (39)
WF-Sections 1 % 1 % (39)
SmartSection 2 % 2 % (41)
WF-Chanell 1 % 1 % (35)
MyLinks 2 % 2 % (40)
SmartLinks 1 % 1 % (34)
PdLinks 0 % 0 % (17)
Cbb 2 % 2 % (44)
newbb 2 % 2 % (48)
XoopsProtector 3 % 3 % (72)
MyPage 1 % 1 % (35)
MultiMenu 3 % 3 % (71)
XoopsEditor 2 % 2 % (47)
XoopsPartner 1 % 1 % (37)
SmartPartner 1 % 1 % (37)
MediaWiki 1 % 1 % (24)
DokuWiki 0 % 0 % (19)
Wiwimod 1 % 1 % (26)
Planet 0 % 0 % (18)
XT-Conteudo 2 % 2 % (59)
Content 1 % 1 % (24)
Xmail 2 % 2 % (52)
Members On-Line 2 % 2 % (58)
RW-Banner 2 % 2 % (42)
XoopsGallery 1 % 1 % (34)
MyGallery 1 % 1 % (29)
XcGal 2 % 2 % (46)
Marquee 2 % 2 % (43)
Profile Extend 1 % 1 % (24)
Xlanguage 1 % 1 % (37)
Multilanguage 2 % 2 % (52)
XmLine 0 % 0 % (19)
xhld 1 % 1 % (31)
Pical 2 % 2 % (47)
Extcal 1 % 1 % (34)
RMGS - Gallery 1 % 1 % (30)
XoopsFaq 1 % 1 % (25)
UserPage 1 % 1 % (37)
Outhers 1 % 1 % (23)
What's new 0 % 0 % (9)
XT-Temas 0 % 0 % (16)
Liaise 0 % 0 % (15)
MyAlbum-P 0 % 0 % (12)
WF-Links 0 % 0 % (11)
Formulaire 0 % 0 % (6)
newBBex 0 % 0 % (1)
BlocksAdmin 0 % 0 % (5)
iStats 0 % 0 % (1)
Quizz 0 % 0 % (1)
SiteMap 0 % 0 % (5)

snow77
  • 2006/8/31 5:59

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

lance: that sounds great

...have several ideas about the demo site, haven't got any written plan yet, but it be nice if we could manage keeping everything to the latest versions, including the XOOPS core, with access I would help out keeping things updated. Yeah the reset thing is cool, but we could go on without it meanwhile if it's too complicated.

...about hosting a demo site like this ...it could consume your machine if too many people are there ...also all the security issues that could arouse giving freedom to people to configure and do things in the admin side. I know of a place that gives free x amount of hosting (there's a chat I got running there cause it was killing the machine of a server we have), and well so far it's been working ok. Being it a demo site that handles no critical information that must be constantly backed up I think this (the free hosting) could be a good resource to make use of (you and your machine would feel more relieved :)). We can have some sort of structure / data backup at hand to restore the system again and leave it with blank content or demo content or whatever occurs to us during the process.

solo: I like your list alot. If you don't mind I'd like to adopt some things of it, I'll translate them myself and add this to the document that's being built in the docs section, with credits to you. thanks.

Giba: some modules there I had never seen, will take a look at those
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

davidl2
  • 2006/8/31 6:22

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Hi Snow - i've sent you a message via PM .. I think it'd be a good idea to perhaps work with Bluenova and update his very clever demo site perhaps with some of these modules (and i'm sure you can do a great job with the theme as well )

giba
  • 2006/8/31 13:51

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

Quote:

snow77 wrote:
Giba: some modules there I had never seen, will take a look at those

rss , I had never seen, ok

Quote:

by davidl2 on 2006/8/31 4:22:03

Hi Snow - i've sent you a message via PM .. I think it'd be a good idea to perhaps work with Bluenova and update his very clever demo site perhaps with some of these modules (and i'm sure you can do a great job with the theme as well )

I agree with David.

Site Bluenov is the Best demostration modules

My sugestion is:

Equal bluenova, but sub-sites versions include.

x2015.xoopsmods.com - demo site version 2.0.15 and módules compatibles.

x230.xoopsmods.com - Demo stie version 2.30 alfa and módules compatibles.

This is one great work

Login

Who's Online

215 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 215

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits