CarrieD
Moving a website
  • 2006/8/21 22:56

• CarrieD

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/19

Hi there everyone

I have a question relating to moving a website. Basically I have created a website on one domain and would like not to move to another. Is there an easy way of doing this?

Is it just a matter of moving the XOOPS files from one domain to an other and then the corresponding database with all the information?

I am sure there is more to it than this.... any help in doing this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Carrie

Swain
Re: Moving a website
  • 2006/8/21 23:05

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/6/27

Well, that won't exactly work because of the difference in domain names. The easiest way is to back up your MySql files on the old server. Then do a fresh install of XOOPS with all your models, theme customizationa, and so forth. Once that is done, import the old MySQL database into the new one. You may have to delete tables in the new database to do this.

snow77
  • 2006/8/21 23:29

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

there can be more than one option. You have domain A (with all XOOPS system working) and domain B (new clean one)

I don't understand this well though: "I have created a website on one domain and would like not to move to another"

am not sure about the not part.

1. to leave domain A as it is and make domain B work with the information setup at domain A, a redirect file in domain B redirecting to domain A, could work...but then the address bar would lose the original new domain name, if you don't mind this that would be ok, if you do mind this, there is a way to "mask" the url on the address bar but still the url wouldn't show as normally it does.

2. to make a complete migration:
A) Download to your pc ALL of your XOOPS files (everything inside htdocs) of what is in domain A.
B) Go to phpmyadmin and backup ALL structure and data of your XOOPS database contents.
C) Upload to htdocs of domain B all what was in htdocs in domain A.
D) Don't run the install
E) Upload to phpMyAdmin of domain B the backup you just did of the database in domain A in a new database. Just create a new database and go to SQL and import the file.
F) Reconfigure the database details along with the physical and virtual paths of the mainfile of domain B so it is according to what it should (since it currently has the details of domain A).

Minor problems can occur in domain B if there are links that still contain the URL of domain A inside the database. A search and overwrite would solve this.

I hope to not have missed a step, somebody else could correct me if I am wrong.
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

CarrieD
  • 2006/8/22 8:39

• CarrieD

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/19

Thank you! I will give it a go

carrie

katzaau
  • 2006/8/24 15:44

• katzaau

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/21

i have the same problem in the moment... but my database is too big to import it via mysql. i get always a timeout.

anyone an idea?

iHackCode

ive used BigDump before. you can specify how many lines of the sql file the script should run per time.
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

davidl2
  • 2006/8/24 16:57

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

snow77 wrote:
Minor problems can occur in domain B if there are links that still contain the URL of domain A inside the database. A search and overwrite would solve this.

Some modules may use direct links - such as xoopsgallery.

This may be fiddly to change.

bearcat
  • 2006/8/24 17:37

• bearcat

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/7 1

I recently did this same thing, Here is how I did it.
1. I installed a fresh install of XOOPS on the new site.
2. I installed all the modules on the new site.
3. I installed the backpack module on on both sites
4. I ran backpack on the old site and saved it to the hard drive.
5. I ran backpack on the new site and imported the old data to the new site.

Login

Who's Online

248 user(s) are online (173 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 248

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits