Dave_L
Re: Protector Module questions
  • 2006/8/8 22:55

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I've been upgrading Protector just like any other module: copy the new files, then upgrade the module from the Module Administration page.

This hasn't caused any problems for me.

But if you encounter problems, temporarily commenting-out the added lines in mainfile.php may be necessary.

Note that if you uninstall the old version, you'll lose your settings.

gestroud
  • 2006/8/10 19:57

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Looks like you'll also have to go into the module's preferences section to make sure nothing is changed. The preferences on my upgrades all went back to the default settings.

Peekay
  • 2006/8/10 20:39

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I know that a guide is being produced, but can anyone briefly explain what kind of exploit reports this module generates, how to interpret the messages and what action to take.

I assume it foils certain types of attack, reports the incident and you then ban the IP address associated with it?
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Peekay
  • 2006/8/14 10:32

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Tiny Bump
Read about another site hacking in the forum today. Would be nice to hear any tips from seasoned Protector users about using this module.

MadFish
  • 2006/8/14 10:49

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
I know that a guide is being produced, but can anyone briefly explain what kind of exploit reports this module generates, how to interpret the messages and what action to take.

I assume it foils certain types of attack, reports the incident and you then ban the IP address associated with it?

Banning can be done automatically when an IP trips certain preset criteria. In the module preferences you'll find a bunch of settings that control how Protector behaves when it detects certain kinds of attack (or maybe better to say 'inappropriate behaviour' as it can also react against IPs that use too many resources like some crawlers or too may page reloads).

For each kind of attack you can set a protector response behavior, from a range of choices like displaying a blank screen, or automatically banning the IP etc. You can also set the level of logging for some things, I think.

In the 'protect center' page there is a list of IPs that have been banned by Protector, together with a simple description of why such as DOS, webcrawler etc. If you want to 'unban' an IP you can simply select it and press a button.

The guide is about 3/4 written but work sent me out to the boondocks for the week, so perhaps I can finish it next weekend. Anyway, won't be *too* long!

Peekay
  • 2006/8/14 10:54

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Thx MadFish. I'll sit tight.

Login

Who's Online

394 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 394

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits