herkalees
Skinning the phpbb/newbb module
  • 2006/8/3 14:38

• herkalees

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/8/3 1

Hello all; I'm a longtime skinner of IPB, but I've never used XOOPS or what seems to be a module for phpbb inserted into Xoops.

I'm a designer/developer for a Massachusetts based dev firm, and I've been asked to skin a clients forum (which is a module within his Xoops) and while it's normally no problem, I'm having the following issues that are probably simple to most:

I had starting changing some of the files, sticking with a simple CSS background color for starters, to be sure I had control and was changing the proper files. I uploaded my files to his server, hit refresh in the browser... nothing.

So then I thought about republishing in the template area of Xoops, as this has allowed me to make skin changes quite successfully to the XOOPS home page, and still nothing.

Can anybody tell my what directory I should be working in, and/or, what method of upload/publish I should be utilizing?

Thanks!

Mantooth
Re: Skinning the phpbb/newbb module
  • 2006/8/3 15:08

• Mantooth

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/2

you might need to clear out all the files in the templates_c directory and then refresh the page before you see the changes

I hate Mortal Kombat

herkalees
  • 2006/8/3 15:38

• herkalees

• Just popping in

Quote:

Mantooth wrote:
you might need to clear out all the files in the templates_c directory and then refresh the page before you see the changes

Thank you kindly for your response. To follow up, I just now deleted the entire contents of /templates_c/ (but backed them up locally) and refreshed my browser (cleared out all cache and cookies too). By these two steps alone, I didn't see my CSS edits. Is there a third step I should do in addition to the above?

Thanks!

Djiman
  • 2006/8/3 15:59

• Djiman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/26

They are hiding the templates on the DB. so you needa update your module on the db maybe.

herkalees
  • 2006/8/4 16:25

• herkalees

• Just popping in

Thank you Djiman for your information; sadly, I'm not sure how to do that (or some of the none xhtml/css things in Xoops). Is there a simply explanation to this step, or an alternate way I can see my edits on the site?

Thanks again!

Peekay
  • 2006/8/4 16:43

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

When you are doing any work on the theme, ensure that in:

Admin Control Panel/System/Preferences/General Settings

The option:

Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory?

is set to: [x] Yes

Remember to turn this option off when finished.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

herkalees
  • 2006/8/4 17:36

• herkalees

• Just popping in

I found the following setting in that area of the admin panel (but not the exact one you mentioned): "Check templates for modifications ?". I set this to "Yes" and I was able to see my CSS changes.

My goal is to add some id's and classes to the xhtml of the forum files, and I've added an id to the header area div in newbb_index.html. I then uploaded the file, created a new template, and "built" the necessary pieces, etc. (all the same things I successfully did to edit the XOOPS home page), but after all this, nothing is showing my my xhtml edits.

Am I working on the right file, am I doing all this right?

Thanks everyone!

Oh, ps, I've got version 2.0.14

Login

Who's Online

149 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 149

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits