steviespin
how to start bloggin'?
  • 2006/7/26 0:22

• steviespin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/26

Hey there.

I'm a Flash Design and have managed to set up XOOPS on my server.

My question might end up embarassing me, but how do I actual produce a page of content? I am hoping to start a blog to drive some traffic to my site but have no idea how or where to begin to generate pages!

help!

thanks for any input!
SS

snow77
Re: how to start bloggin'?
  • 2006/7/26 1:49

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

well first you need to have some modules installed like:

Article (to create articles or content pages)
WordPress (a blog)
CBB (a forum)

News

some more modules at

XProjects.co.uk

and at SmartFactory.ca

those are more or less the sites of the main developers of modules for XOOPS where you will find the most up to date versions, these sites are usually kept bookmarked (I may be missing some in the list though)

if you don't know how to install a module you can visit the documentation section, there are some nice tutorials there

and last, have patience and don't be afraid to test everything out or making mistakes, there's always a way to fix things.

Swain
Re: how to start bloggin'?
  • 2006/7/26 2:33

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/6/27

I have to agree with snow77. You can also generate ordinary html pages and then create a module to do a wrap around. There are modules that do this, but I have found it better to do on my own. To create a module to do a wrap around, copy the files xoops_version.php, index.php, and header. php to another folder aptly named (say if you have a page on flash design call the folder flash_design. Using a php editor or notebook open xoops_version.php. Change the name to Flash Design, do the same with description, and then enter flash_design in the dirname spot. Save that file. Then open index.php. Here you want to edit fopen (right near the top of the file), put the URL pointing to your html page. You can then put in the following:

print '';

Do nothing to header.php.

Upload the files, and install like any other module.

This will place your page on the Main Menu, and folks can open it from there.

I would also recommend MYMenu. My Main Menu was growing quite large so I download the module MyMenu to augment it on the other side of my front page. It did wonders for my site. Other handy modules are Cjay Content 3, C-HTML 1.01, and Content. All these allow you to use static html pages, or for that matter any sort of web media.

Swain

Login

Who's Online

481 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 481

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits