surfinsaxman
Extended Profiles - I do not understand the concept

When I search just 'number of post' in descending or ascending order there ist no member found.
When I search 'number of post' in descending order, Number of Posts is greater than 0, I do not know how the order is, but it is defenitly not descending and not alphabetical.

I think this module has some major bugs. Is there a reason why it is not in use on the XOOPS-site?

dickinsd
Re: Extended Profiles - I do not understand the concept
  • 2006/1/10 23:14

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/11/14

Extended Profiles is not in use on xoops.org - it is a module for XOOPS version 2.2.x (Xoops.org is still running on XOOPS 2.0.x)

I have this module on 2 of my sites, both of which are upgrades from XOOPS 2.0.x, ordering my members by their usernames, posts, joined date etc works fine in both cases.

However I have just noticed whilst checking thath this does work for me, I also still have xoopsmembers installed on the sites in question, perhaps you should try installing this module also?

Dave

surfinsaxman

Hi,
I do not see either xoopsmembers or extended profiles onhttp://www.linuxjourney.com/. Do you edit the fields with extended profiles and search the datebase with xoopsmembers?

I am a little confused about the concept. Are there no problems to install both modules?

dickinsd
  • 2006/1/10 23:51

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/11/14

Ok.

I use the extended profiles module is something you have to install with XOOPS 2.2.x (as far as I know)

I use the module admin and group permissions to restrict access to both extended profiles and xoopsmember, I don't really see why people need access to a list of another sites members. (just a personal privacy based thing)

My registered users can click on a members name if they see a post that they like, from there they see the users profile, send a PM or visit another users web site.
That is the only way registered users can access another users profile on most of the sites I am behind.

As the webmaster I have an extra link for XOOPS members which allows me to search for various options such as joined date, username, number of posts etc.

Xoopsmembers gives me the same options to search the user list as those available at this site.
At xoops.org clicking on a members name will take you to something like this: /userinfo.php?uid=26840
At LinuxJourney I would be taken to a link like this: /modules/profile/userinfo.php?uid=50

Having both modules installed is fine, as I said before I have both modules at 2 sites where xoopsmembers functionality is needed.

I suggest you try to install the module and see if this solves your problem.

Dave

surfinsaxman

Quote:

dickinsd wrote:
At xoops.org clicking on a members name will take you to something like this: /userinfo.php?uid=26840
At LinuxJourney I would be taken to a link like this: /modules/profile/userinfo.php?uid=50

Dave, this will work fine.

But I would like to provide some useful information for my users like zipcode and what kind of saxophones they are playing.

DefJef
  • 2006/7/25 22:57

• DefJef

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/8 2

"I don't really see why people need access to a list of another sites members."

Oh you must be kidding. How do people network if they are unable to search the users on the site? Browse a list of users with thier picture to see what interests them....

There are MANY reasons for such functionality and I find it a complete JOKE that it is not implemented in XOOPS above 2.0 since xoopsmembers was not updated for 2.2+

XenMike
  • 2006/7/26 13:50

• XenMike

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/4 1

The lack of customiseable profiles is a real issue in CMS systems... I am either stuck with a shoddy, ugly CMS like Joomla! or I have to wait for XOOPS to implement it, every site is different, therefore every site will want user's profiles to be different...

I'm running a Gay Youth support website.... yet I can't document members sexualities or "outness" because XOOPS doesn't allow me to customise the user's profiles...

*crosses fingers* HOPEFULLY this will come with 2.4

Swain
  • 2006/7/26 14:52

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/6/27

XenMike, the Friends Finder module allows you to add custom fields to the Extended Profiles so it can be done. If you do not want to use Friends Finder you could always have it not viable to users, but utilize this function to add fields. Or if you know php you could see how they did it and make a module. Come to think of it, a module that allows modification of the fields might make a good module to begin with!

davidl2
  • 2006/7/26 15:00

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

XenMike wrote:
*crosses fingers* HOPEFULLY this will come with 2.4

I believe you'll see this again, as 2.4 will incorporate the better parts of 2.2 - except with rewrites on the code to take the 2.3 improvements into account

XenMike
  • 2006/7/26 15:40

• XenMike

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/7/4 1

I've always found the FriendFinder module to be clumsy... not sure why... I just never got on with it... maybe I should try it again

Login

Who's Online

221 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 221

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits