n01un0
Custom Fonts?
  • 2006/7/25 12:46

• n01un0

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/10/9

This may be a silly question but can I use a custom font for all of my site (ie....stencil font)? Would I just edit the css file? Do I have to upload that font somewhere so that it can be displayed?

Curious....

christian
Re: Custom Fonts?
  • 2006/7/25 13:02

• christian

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/2/24

Well on you can do that.
But if your visitor does not have this font on his computer, a font of substitution will be used .

carnuke
  • 2006/7/25 15:17

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

take a look here about sIFR. This needs ome experimentaion, but its al alternative to be constrained by browser fonts.

Here's a CSS idea discussed by STOPDESIGN
hhttp://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

davidl2
  • 2006/7/25 15:59

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

It would be safer to use these as images instead.

carnuke
  • 2006/7/25 17:23

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Quote:
It would be safer to use these as images instead.

Really? is this search engine suitable? I know we can use ALT tag for an image, but that's not the same as text content. The whole point of the stopdesign concept is that the text is actually there, but replaced by an image.

Quote:
The Concept
In principle, the concept is very simple. We write a short string of text (eg. “Hello world!”) and surround it with two sets of basic HTML tags. Then we use CSS to hide the HTML text and display a background image containing the exact same words instead of the original text.

David, maybe you were referring to the sIFR method?
hhttp://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

jegelstaff

I'm not sure you'd want to do this for the whole site, but for headings there are image creation functions in PHP that can work beautifully with TTF fonts. A discussion of that approach can be found here:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dynatext/

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

n01un0
  • 2006/7/25 18:49

• n01un0

• Quite a regular

Wow, I'm lost.....................

Went to sIFR and got lost in lingo halfway through, hahaha.

Man I hate being a n00b. ARGHHHHHH!

Thanks for the advice though.

n01un0
  • 2006/7/25 18:57

• n01un0

• Quite a regular

Quote:

jegelstaff wrote:
I'm not sure you'd want to do this for the whole site, but for headings there are image creation functions in PHP that can work beautifully with TTF fonts. A discussion of that approach can be found here:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dynatext/

--Julian

I think this is more in line of what I was looking for. I really just want the menu's and headlines to have the custom font, not so much the whole site. I guess I could create buttons and replace the text but was too lazy to do that, lol. Just trying to add a little to tie a whole theme into place.

I think your right about using for the whole site, it would be unreadable and probably unbearable on the eyes.

Thanks for the link and advice!!

snow77
  • 2006/7/25 19:54

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

doing the font > image conversion would be pretty neat, it sounds a little complicated to set up though.

In a book I once read had to do this but I haven't got the opportunity to try it out yet, but from an artistic view I find it really interesting, although I don't know how advisable it can be technically.

SEE HERE screenshot of how to add downloadable fonts to a web page

If you manage to do it, it would be nice if you could share your experience with us

n01un0
  • 2006/7/26 12:30

• n01un0

• Quite a regular

Hmmm.....well I tinkered with this yesterday and I cant seem to get it to work.

I got the portion of the hack to work on the heading.php custom script after uploading the font
Quote:

For example, loading the URL heading.php?text=URLs%20Are%20Fun will produce a graphic that reads “URLs Are Fun.”

This Part Worked Perfect..................

After I edited the .js file and uploaded it, I cant seem to get it to swith anything on the site itself.

I have a feeling I am putting the wrong variables or something.

Quote:

Weighing in at a hefty eight kilobytes, there’s a lot of stuff going on in this corner of the ring, but there are only two lines that need to be customized before the script will work.

replaceSelector("h2","heading.php",true);
var testURL = "test.png";

The replaceSelector function accepts three parameters: The first is the CSS-style selector that indicates which elements should be replaced. This selector may be almost any valid CSS selector, including id, class, element and attribute selectors.

.......Once these lines are set correctly, you can upload the JavaScript file to your web server, and apply it to your web pages by adding the following line to their tags.

< script
type="text/JavaScript"
src="replacement.js">
< /script>

Make sure the src attribute in that line points to the location that you uploaded the JavaScript file to.

I made and uploaded a test.png file. I changed "h2" to one of the classes and elements variables and nothing changes.

I am assumming that I need to change the .html file of the theme that I am using right?

Login

Who's Online

484 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 484

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits