devnet
Forum Confusion?
  • 2006/7/24 23:12

• devnet

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/22

Not being an active member of the XOOPS community and having just started working with XOOPS (I tried previously but the project died out so I don't webmaster there anymore) again as a fill in administrator forhttp://lobby4linux.com I've got to ask the question

What is up with the bulletin board systems? CBB or NewBB2? It's my understanding that CBB is supposed to be newer/shinier but it seems to me that newbb2 is much much better than CBB 1.16 (the version I'm currently running)...I guess I'm a bit confused as to why the steps back with newer versions...it seems that CBB is missing quite a few niceties that newbb2 has....but I'm not even sure if newbb is compatible with 2.0.14...

Can anyone shed light on this subject...and BTW, why isn't this subject covered in the FAQ? I'll bet everyone is tired of answering it...

Thanks much..
Devnet

Lance_
Re: Forum Confusion?
  • 2006/7/24 23:38

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

The latest release of CBB is 3.05. Maybe take a look at that version.

You'll have to describe why you say newwbb2 is so much better. CBB being just the continuating developement of newbb2, I don't see what would have been taken out to make it less.

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

msdana
  • 2006/7/24 23:42

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

CBB has replaced Newbb and it's current version is 3.05.

Perhaps if you explain in more detail why Newbb is much better and what features are missing in CBB 1.16, someone will come along and answer your questions with a more thorough answer. Of course, you can always look at the change log to see what features have been improved/added in CBB.

Newbb isn't actively supported or updated, it has since been replaced with CBB, which in my opinion is an excellent and actively updated/supported module. Phppp has done an excellent job with this module and I find it much better and faster and includes additional features you will not find in Newbb.

Take some time to learn what the newer modules offer and I'm sure you will be pleased with their performance.

HTH

EDIT: Ahhh, Lance_ your fingers were quicker than mine
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

devnet
  • 2006/7/25 0:40

• devnet

• Just popping in

Quote:

Lance_ wrote:
The latest release of CBB is 3.05. Maybe take a look at that version.

You'll have to describe why you say newwbb2 is so much better. CBB being just the continuating developement of newbb2, I don't see what would have been taken out to make it less.

Cheers.

is 3.05 installable on 2.0.14? There's no platform noted on its release?

BTW, I only see CBB 2.32 and it doesn't have a platform listed. In the notes it states that it is for XOOPS 2.2 branch...so it's out for my install.

msdana
  • 2006/7/25 0:50

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

CBB 3.05 works for 2.0 and 2.2 versions. I have it installed on both versions and it works fine.

There is a Frameworks folder that comes with the module. IF you are using 2.2 you need to remove a folder within the Frameworks. Since you are NOT using 2.2 you will need to upload the entire Frameworks folder to your root directory, along with the CBB folder to your modules directory.

EDIT: You can find CBB 3.05 here.
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]

snow77
  • 2006/7/25 0:50

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

Yes, CBB 3.05 is compatible with XOOPS 2.0.14, you find it HERE
www.polymorphee.com
www.xoopsdesign.com

devnet
  • 2006/7/25 1:02

• devnet

• Just popping in

Giving it a whirl as we speak...

devnet
  • 2006/7/25 1:33

• devnet

• Just popping in

Lots more options than what I was using Thanks much.

Still doesn't have the feel of newbb2 though...I guess I'll need to mess with the overlay CSS for hover.

msdana
  • 2006/7/25 1:43

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

It's not supposed to have the feel of newbb, it's supposed to have a new look and feel....hence, CBB

Look at your preferences, you don't have to do hover.

metropolis
  • 2006/7/25 8:24

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/15

Well, I can understand devnet's opinion here.

Newbb2 really looks better with all the dropdown menus. The "thread vote" is more 'graphical' (showing the options with a different number of stars) whereas CBB only shows simple text.

Also, as an admin, I liked all the possible functions when hovering over the author of a post. I saw his IP address making it easier to block some idiots away.

I currently use NewBB2 one of my sites, CBB on the other. But NewBB2 has never shown any errors and I don't really see the point, why using CBB should be better as I can hardly recognize any new functions in CBB that NewBB2 doesn't have.

Oh: @CBB-Devs: Why can't you rename your module folder to "cbb"?

And can anybody explain, what the "Digest mode" in CBB is?

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits