Bounty
CBB and new/read posts
  • 2005/5/31 8:38

• Bounty

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/24

After upgrading from NewBB 2 to latest CBB the new posts/No New Posts is acting weird.

After reading a post the post still shows as unread when reloading the forums.

The "Mark all Forums as read" does only work for the session aswell. Closing Browser and reloading Forums shows all Topics again as unread.

xoops 2.0.10
CBB 1.3

phppp
Re: CBB and new/read posts
  • 2005/6/1 16:56

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

Bounty wrote:

The "Mark all Forums as read" does only work for the session aswell. Closing Browser and reloading Forums shows all Topics again as unread.

xoops 2.0.10
CBB 1.3

It is designed to work in this way, a tradeoff between cookie consumption and infomation

davidthomas1

After the update, I'm having trouble with new/read posts too.

Marking "all forums read" from the "main options" drop down does nothing.

When I view a topic, it remains as unread.

do you have any advice?

//EDIT: I renamed the include/plugin.dist.php to plugin.php, cleared the templates_c folder and updated the module but the problem persists.

//EDIT: OK, It's working. I had to set the line in plugin.php to store the read info in a cookie, not the database.

It seems the database method doesn't work with XOOPS 2.0.13.2
みんなちがってみんないい。

XOOPS 2.0.13.2

xephon
  • 2006/7/11 1:35

• xephon

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/12/31

Quote:
It is designed to work in this way, a tradeoff between cookie consumption and infomation

why in the world would you design it to work that way? My forums are basically useless now because all topics keep showing up as unread...

and yes i changed it to cookie based since DB based does not work either.

phppp
  • 2006/7/11 2:13

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

perhaps I am too silly to find a reasonable manner for cookie-based method.
Could you help design it?

xephon
  • 2006/7/12 0:24

• xephon

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/12/31

Not really meant to be an insult. I just dont see why most other forums work with the cookie based unread/read feature, and cbb does not.

I mean it does not make much sense to reload a session and it auto shows all the read posts as unread again. Or when I make a post myself and it shows up as unread no matter what I do (except manually mark ALL forums as read).

Maybe it is just a weird bug in this version, or maybe a combination bug between the 2 versions (xoops and cbb), I really dont know. I just know that my forums are halfway useless now, becuase all the forums/posts keep showing up as unread.

I'm guessing you have it coded to show new posts since your last login/session. So even if i read a post (even on your forum) It will still show up as unread. What I beleive other forum software does is tag each froum/topic you have actually viewed in the cookie. So that way it can decide which topics/forums to show as read or unread.

Sublime
  • 2006/8/12 22:18

• Sublime

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/5/23

Sorry to bring back a month old post but i find it necessary considering this problem seems to be happening everywhere yet its really not being resolved
Quote:

phppp wrote:
perhaps I am too silly to find a reasonable manner for cookie-based method.

Em, perhaps you should have a look at another forums read/unread method to see how its done properly...maybe it could help you to fix CBB...i dont mean that rudely i'm just sayin it wouldnt hurt

Ive tried db and cookie and they both seem to function the same way...The problem with db version seems to arise with the fact that it updates to 2 tables, read_forum and read_posts so in order for your forums AND posts to be both marked read you have to go into both the forum and the posts directly, not just via the "Last Post" link or various other ways of viewing the posts without actually entering the forum first (which is also what happens with the cookie version)...in the db version you need to set the function so that read_forum doesnt update until all read_posts in that forum are read and trigger it to update read_forum after all posts in it are marked read. Im sure the cookie problem could be solved in a similar method considering it has a similar problem, although ive never looked into it.

Will_H
  • 2006/8/13 2:27

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

hmmmmm

Login

Who's Online

235 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 235

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits