Steehl
Images Not Visible to Users
  • 2006/6/30 21:12

• Steehl

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/30

Hopefully this is the correct place to post this question. I tried searching but couldn't find anything that helped me.

Basically some of the future users of my site have been helping me test things out and for some reason a couple of them are unable to see any of the images used in the theme/template. I've checked folder/file permissions, all are correct. I've had them check their browsers to make sure they're configured like mine, they are. But still they can't see any of the images.

This was tested on both Firefox and IE and neither of them worked for these users.

What confuses me is that some users see everything fine but these others don't. To me it sounds like an issue on their end but I just wanted to be sure.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Bender
Re: Images Not Visible to Users
  • 2006/6/30 21:51

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Url? Can we see it?

What do they see? Missing images? Just a red x instead?
Can they rightclick the place of the missing images and copy the path to the image?
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Steehl
  • 2006/6/30 22:00

• Steehl

• Just popping in

Oops, my bad. This is the addy for the temporary host:

http://tlke.awardspace.com

Yes temporary host, I didn't want to throw this up on my normal host until I was confident using it.

The users that are having issues see only the little red X.

One of them tried to go directly to the url of the image and received the hosts 404 page.

Bender
  • 2006/6/30 22:46

• Bender

• Home away from home

Cannot reproduce with no browser.

Even with high security settings i canĀ“t.

Does it help those users if the add the url to the trusted sites in their browser?
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Bender
  • 2006/6/30 22:47

• Bender

• Home away from home

Add:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807

Steehl
  • 2006/6/30 23:00

• Steehl

• Just popping in

Still nothing. I tried to reproduce the situation on Firefox and IE on 3 different computers and couldn't do it. All I can think of is that it has to be some sort of local setting on their machines.

Thanks for the prompt assistance.

EDIT: I even tried to reproduce it on a Mac and still couldn't figure it out.

Bender
  • 2006/6/30 23:08

• Bender

• Home away from home

Can they give you exact versions of the browser they use?

Do they have firewall software installed?
(did they try switching it off?)

Stewdio
  • 2006/6/30 23:29

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I find it hard to beleive the problem is choosing random users with different configurations and not allowing them to see the images.

What I suspect is the hosting environment.

Are the affected users always seeing no images, or is it just some of the time for some of the users?

Is it possible that the images are being blocked by the server, as in remote image blocking, etc?

I don't have answers, but I do have questions. :-p
XOOPS Community Support

svaha
  • 2006/7/1 0:07

• svaha

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/8/2 2

I don't know if this problem is related to the one I had, when I copied/ftpd my site to a test server.

On the original site I use hotlinkprotection and this means that some rules are written in .htacces file down to the bottom

I saw only red crosses and 404 when I browsed to the url.

It took me a while to find out these rewrite rules because there was a lot of blank space, I removed the rules and it worked.

hth
What doesn't kill me,
makes me stronger.

http://exm.amevita.eu
http://www.amevita.eu
http://www.alohaspirit.nl

Steehl
  • 2006/7/1 22:30

• Steehl

• Just popping in

Late last night I had one of the users try it out on her other computer. Surely enough THAT machine could see the images just fine. That sealed the deal for me believing it was all a setting on their machines. Now to figure out WHAT setting it is since everything on the machine that didn't see the images was reconfigured to be as close to identical as possible to my machines.

To answer your questions Stewdio:

The affected users are always seeing no images at all.

Some users are seeing all images except the login button, which isn't a big deal at this time.

The images are not being blocked on the hosts end, however the users that couldn't see the images are all outside of the US (UK and Canada respectively). Although I don't see how that should make a difference unless their ISPs have some crazy regulations.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits