mrjimbo
How to change the contents of the main menu and user menu?
  • 2006/6/14 9:04

• mrjimbo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/9 1

Hello!

I am a new newbie to Xoops. Although, I find XOOPS very easy to set-up. However, I am not finding a way to change the contents of the main menu and user menu. I know that I can deactivate the modules to afect the main menu. But id there another way without deactivating them? And what about the user menu?

Thanks!

Jim

jensclas
Re: How to change the contents of the main menu and user menu?

Do you mean something like renaming modules from 'wfdownloads' to downloads and 'xcgallery' to albums?
You to this in your general admin of modules. You will see you can give them a name all of your own. I suggest you go to the docs site and get the administration manual. Cheers

mrjimbo
  • 2006/6/14 20:53

• mrjimbo

• Just popping in

No... I mean the list of menu items.

For example, right now my menu has a list that says:

Home
Contact Us
Downlaods
Web Links
Forum
News
Sections
FAQ
Headlines
Members
Partners
Polls
Net 2 FTP

The User menu has the following items in the list:

View Account
Edit Account
Notifications
Logout
Inbox
Administration Menu

So, how can I modify these lists? I know that if I deactivate some of the modules, then it will get removed from the menu lists. However, is there a way to modify the lists without deactivating them?

How can I modify the user list?

I'm just a little confused. Thanks!

Jim

msdana
  • 2006/6/14 20:57

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

If you set the weight of the module to 0 (zero), it won't show up in the main menu, but it will still be activated.

Exactly, how do you wish to "modify" the main menu? You can change the name of the module in Modules Administration too.

As for the user menu, you will need to give more information on what you want to "modify"... that has alot of meanings and can be hard to explain unless you are specific in your needs.

HTH
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

jensclas

Exactly how do you want to modify them?

new names? the order? the visibility for some not others?
New module name is as I said above

visibility will also come from your permissions set - eg registered and anonymous users

As for the user menu leave it be unless you do not wish users to register at all. ...but you can change where it lives on your page through your blocks admin.

Like I said - get the admin manual from the docs site. Use the link in my sig below to 'find help doc here' to find other useful docs and tools for newbies.

Your alternative for menus is the multimenu module but I don't recomend you go to that till you understand how all the rest works first.

mrjimbo
  • 2006/6/15 1:12

• mrjimbo

• Just popping in

I apologize!

Yes... I mean visibility. I think I know how to adjust the visibility of the different user menu items for the different groups of users.

But, I'm not sure how to change the visibility of the individuals menu items on the main menu. Is it the same way as for the user menu?

I will definitely read up on the admin functions in the documentation. Thank you for all of your replies!

Thanks!
Jim

Quest
  • 2006/6/15 2:02

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

Like msdana said: Don't deactivate them, unless you want to.
To hide them from view in the main menu set them to 0.
Go to administration/system/modules and scroll to the module you don't want a title/link to show up in the main menu. Where you see a 1 change it to 0 then submit. You can keep it activate with the check mark but the 0 will hide it from the main menu.

Until you become a little more familiar with XOOPS and the documentation/F.A.Q.s I wouldn't mess with the User Menu. Depending on what it is you want to do it could be as easy as changing a few names in the language files or it could be more difficult by altering a template file.

Quest

Login

Who's Online

506 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 506

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits