DMarvelus
Integrating GIS and CMS
  • 2006/6/9 12:51

• DMarvelus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

Hello All!

I am doing some research on integrating Geographic Information Systems and Content Management Systems. I would like to make it easier for any one to use GIS on a website with a variety of web applications (web links, forums, News, RSS Aggregators, later: photo albums, Wordpress).

I am testing out a site on the web.

Disclaimers:
- Sorry but I couldn't get the international dataset to work :( That will be at a later date.
- I hope to release it open-source later, right now, the code is not in very good shape.

Here is the site:
http://www.thedailynation.us/

Some Features:
- Enter a location with your news, link, or other item and it shows up on on map.
- Notifications can now be set up to inform you of things within a certain number of miles from a given location
- GeoRSS feeds that tell you where an item is.
- Show items nearby any city or point.
- Location Based Search

Any comments appreciated.

Bassman
Re: Integrating GIS and CMS
  • 2006/6/9 13:11

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Now that is VERY cool!

jdseymour

I agree, very nice work, and interesting concept.

abrizan
  • 2006/6/9 15:07

• abrizan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/14

Great stuff! I think you have a killer app on your hands.

Herko
  • 2006/6/9 17:46

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Very nice indeed! If you could link the map to user profiles, you could see where everyone is from! Could this work in Europe too?

And how can anyone else implement this?

Herko

DMarvelus
  • 2006/6/9 18:13

• DMarvelus

• Just popping in

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
Very nice indeed! If you could link the map to user profiles, you could see where everyone is from! Could this work in Europe too?

And how can anyone else implement this?

Herko

thanks.

It can work in Europe, one problem is, i don't have the European names of cities in there now, so you would have to put in the latitude and longitude of the city (kind of inconvenient)

I have a file with the names of all of the cities in the world. the issue is making the system work with those. there are massive amounts of data involved. It's not as easy as i thought it would be. Also, I am not as familiar with I18n issues as I should be... There are many things that need to be worked out.

like i said, i would like to release it open source... i need to fix up some things in the code now that are in bad shape and difficult to use and understand. Hopefully by summers end i will release it.

another issue is that it's all running on 2.2. It takes a fair amount of kernel hacks. I don't know if i want to do a port now to 2.3 (when it comes out), then possibly have to make a lot of changes to make it work with 2.4 again.

I'm not really sure where i want to go with it right now... It's a concept that i think could be useful though.

Herko
  • 2006/6/9 19:03

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I agree with what you say. Therefore it may be best to implement the concept into 2.3 (or earlier versions what have the necessary features for this to work such as the dynamic userprofile), rather then the code itself. Your experience and knowledge of the concept probably exceeds your experience with 2.3 codem so this could bring the best of both worlds together

Herko

script_fu

That is very nice indeed. I can think of a few ways to use it automotive wise...

DMarvelus
  • 2006/6/12 15:05

• DMarvelus

• Just popping in

another issue i forgot to mention...

PostgreSQL has many more integrated features when it comes to GIS than MySQL. So, I'm kind of limited as far as what I can do with MySQL... There's another group working on something similar using Drupal and since Drupal has Postgres support, i suspect that they will probably be able to do more with it....

I am trying to stretch MySql as far as possible though.

sailjapan

Wheredigo?

Sounds cool...
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

Login

Who's Online

203 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 203

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits