jdseymour
Re: cannot connect to database on new install wizzard...

Kind of sounds to me like a lack of interface between php and MySQL on windows. Are you sure the proper files are set up on your windows php install to be able to talk to mysql?

like for example this excerpt from this Article.

Quote:
Let's grab the Windows binary and uncompress it using our favorite Zip decompression tool into a directory on your C drive called php3. The supplied README file deals with the installation in some detail, but here's the Reader's Digest version: If you want to install PHP to a folder other than C:\php3, you'll need to edit the .inf file that comes with PHP.

In the php3 directory, you'll find a lot of .dll files. Take all the .dll files that don't begin with php_ and move them into your \windows\system directory. Then rename php.ini-dist to php3.ini and move it into your \windows directory. If you open up that file, you'll see there are lots of interesting things to change. For now just "uncomment" the line:

extension=php3_mysql.dll

If you're using Apache for Win32, set up Apache to recognize and parse PHP files. Depending on the version of Apache you're using, you'll need to add the following to either the httpd.conf or srm.conf file:

ScriptAlias /php3/"c:/path-to-php-dir/"
AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
Action application/x-httpd-php3"/php3/php.exe"

Or if you're using IIS or PWS, right-click on php_iis_reg.inf and select 'Install'. You'll need to reboot for IIS to see this change.

HTH.

rsfeller
  • 2006/6/4 2:43

• rsfeller

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/3 1

i have fixed it but not the way i want. wish i had some more input on the validity of what versions of mySQL work with xoops.

I when back to mySQL version 3.23.xx as stated in the requirments. it wasn't as flexible as the PHP version saying 4.0.5 or high...it stated mySQL 3.23.xx, so that is what i went with. Not thilled as this old school version of mySQL doesn't have a great mySQL Admin interface. EVERYTHING is command line (boo!) and this version is very quiry with syntax errors. I have a couple great books on mySQL and syntax they recommend gets many errors at times.

Anyways, it appears to be working. Go through the entire setup, now i just need to figure out modules and "stuff".

If any other IIS geeks find this thread in attempt to trouble shoot you may want to zip me and email and see if i can be of assistance.

Anonymous
  • 2006/6/4 3:32

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:

rsfeller wrote:
wish i had some more input on the validity of what versions of mySQL work with xoops.

All versions of MySQL work with XOOPS. The only problems I've heard of are if MySQL 5 is in strict mode... and I think that was with modules, not the core.

For the problems you were having I think JDSeymour was probably on the right track, it sounded like your mySQL database wasn't registered with PHP.

A post where someone else had a similar problem.

rsfeller
  • 2006/6/4 22:08

• rsfeller

• Just popping in

hmm. This gets a bit to techie for me then. I've tried about 4-5 different content managment systems over the last 6 months and nothing seams very easy with IIS. Need to get an apache server running but i'm sure there are still many tweaks that are not very "out of the box" there too!

These programs are great but there is to much PHP and mySQL tweaking at times. I'm rather weary of playing with PHP settings as I had a hell of a time getting GALLERY to work correctly a year back, now that it runs great my PHP are golden!

I consider myself a strong 'average joe' tech and this stuff gets very time consuming just to install!

thanks for you help.
Shawn

m0nty
  • 2006/6/4 22:14

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

hhttp://www.iis-resources.com

they have a full section on setting up XOOPS with iis.

as for apache & php etc.. try http://www.apachefriends.org

or search for WAMPP

wampp is easy to install, setup & use, right out of the box. it's free too.

rsfeller
  • 2006/6/5 0:49

• rsfeller

• Just popping in

thanks. I just get frustrated with all the configuring...

For not developers it would be best if things ran more out of the box with straight forward processes. Install PHP, set permissions, install mySQL, config permissions. Small tweaks and go! Instead the procedures start using mumbo jumbo and starting asking for decisions to be made which have no mean to non developers! but it is there world (developers!)...

I just tried to get Apache running and even that was more complicated then IIS, and I know all no MS guys love to trash IIS and such! Now I have Apache running on another box and the PHP config is way more complicated and over my head then getting it going on IIS!

I'll check out your links and become and expert tonight! Thanks again I'm now done venting!

rsfeller
  • 2006/6/5 0:56

• rsfeller

• Just popping in

this is what I found in the PHP.ini files, which negates the help above:

;Windows Extensions
;Note that MySQL and ODBC support is now built in, so no dll is needed for it.

siric
  • 2006/6/7 1:21

• siric

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/7 1

Hi rfseller,

I think that the problem you were getting was due to a change in MySQLs password scheme. If you try to use a client (Xoops for example) that uses the old password scheme with MySql 5 or some versions of 4, you will experience problems.

The answer is to login in to the MySQL command line.

C:> cd\mysql\bin
C:\mysql\bin> MySQL -u username -p

You will then be prompted for the password.

Once logged in, you run the following command

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'username'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('newpwd');

This will convert the password to the old password style and solve your problem.

SiRiC

rsfeller
  • 2006/6/9 5:54

• rsfeller

• Just popping in

thank you very much for this support. I was really thinking this may be it after much reading but I'm still unclear. Obviously if I'm getting 3.x to work then it has to be related to this differnt password scheme.

So if i'm understanding correctly I should:

install 4.x or 5.x
run the command you mentioned
then try to install XOOPS again?

Will changing this password config affect mySQL and other advanced visual managment tools from accessing the database?

Now that I have a 3.x database going and XOOPS will it be a problem to upgrade to 4.x/5.x? and run this command or should I just do a fresh install since there isn't much in that database?

I'm a average DIY tech for our business but have no coding skills nor expereince beyond PHP or mySQL for dummies books! So every decision I make tends to create more questions that I stuggle to find! I've got my website working (see: http://www.carboncow.net) but I would love to still upgrade mySQL so I can use the great interface for admin!

Thanks.

Shawn

Login

Who's Online

477 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 477

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits