nickthrolson
Re: Torrent Module ????

i found a link to the site hope this helps everyonehttp://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=98584

eric235u
  • 2006/5/8 19:14

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/19

i'm no programer and this was my workaround, i used a bittorrent client like Azureus on my pc and used it's built in tracker. this tracker also has an rss feed. i used an rss module in xoops. now my tracker shows up on my XOOPS site. :) I also liked this combo because it's easy to limit bandwidth with Azureus.

eric235u
  • 2006/5/31 16:40

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

I like this, "...U can simply add it as IFrame to your XOOPS..." - DCrussader. But it raises another question. If I'm using bittorrent to limit bandwidth requirements, what about the bandwith for the tracker webpage being framed?

Even with the very speedy connection at my apartment I still get swamped once in a while just from people viewiing the tracker in their browser. So I'm thinking to have visitors sent to my hosted XOOPS site (which has a ton of bandwidth) and see an iframed version of my tracker (hosted at home - fedora with azureus) that's updated maybe once a minute. I want hands on control of my tracker but don't want everybody coming to whatever.dydns.org at my house.

Anbody know how to have the iframe update periodically or of a better way? I really like the iframe idea, thanks man.

Mantooth
  • 2006/5/31 17:41

• Mantooth

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/2

i think you could just cache the block that the iframe is in.

I hate Mortal Kombat

eric235u
  • 2006/6/1 21:06

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

mmmnnn... i tried to cache the block but no luck. everything else worked as you all said,

<P ALIGN=center><IFRAME SRC="http://foo.fooer.org:6969/" WIDTH=700 HEIGHT=700></IFRAME></P>

did the trick for my particular site. at the moment page bandwidth isn't a major problem, but it will be. maybe on the next version of XOOPS i'll spend more time on figuring this out. thanks for your help though. i wonder how the guy who started this thread made out?

tvepsorg
  • 2006/6/4 15:48

• tvepsorg

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

Not so well. I tried several things and after all was said and done I decided not to go along with it.

Several reasons:

1. Torrents are good, but in my experience newsgroups are waaaay faster. Especially when you use a program like newsleecher. Then all I have to do is post the .nzb for other members on my site.

2. Torrent sites are getting shut down left and right. While I don't mind hosting a few .torrent files on my site, making it a tracker just puts me out there to be shut down.

3. Bandwidth. Hosting it on your local machine where you have unlimited bandwidth probably isn't a bad idea however you won't be able to host much. Putting it on your server means you'll be eating up bandwidth left and right. I like helping the scene, but not at the cost of hundreds of dollars a month in server costs.

IMHO.

Do think it would be neat to see someone develop something though.

eric235u
  • 2006/6/4 19:36

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

"1. Torrents are good, but in my experience newsgroups are waaaay faster. Especially when you use a program like newsleecher. Then all I have to do is post the .nzb for other members on my site."

i've seen other mention such things but i'm totally ignorant of the newsgroups. i may have to do some searching around for documentation. newleeacher huh? i'll check it out.

"2. Torrent sites are getting shut down left and right. While I don't mind hosting a few .torrent files on my site, making it a tracker just puts me out there to be shut down."

i know what you're saying. a couple of days ago i tried to go to a popular bittorrent site and got a message saying the site had been closed for legal reasons. there's a martial arts tracker that keeps changing it's URL and would notify me by email but i got bored of keeping track of where he was. but early on we were told bittorrent wasn't intended for anonymous p2p so it's no surprise i guess. azureus has a distributed tracker built in but i haven't really kept up on how well it works.

"I like helping the scene, but not at the cost of hundreds of dollars a month in server costs."

i pay for my home broadband connection and USD $20 / month to my site host and that's it. my goal is to never pay more but i'll probably fail.

"Do think it would be neat to see someone develop something though."

i second that! something in module form that could support a couple transfer protocols would be freakin' awesome. if somebody gets working on one i'll play cheerleader and beta test np.

Login

Who's Online

201 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 201

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits