RRice
Very Serious Display Issues
  • 2006/4/30 18:34

• RRice

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/28

I have a major issue going on. It seems that Fire Fox display my site the way it supposed to be displayed. However, IE6 won't. The colors are messed up, the tables are off, i am not sure whats happening.

This is the second site i built with xoops. The first one, my gaming group... 187platoon.clanservers.com looks great in both IE6 and FF. However here are two screen shots of my current project. I can't find out what is causing the major difference in display. IE6 is supposed to display it like FF is, but it's not.

Fire Fox View

IE6 View

Both of these are reading from the exact same files, so why won't IE6 change the background color to the off grey like it's supposed to, and why wontit fill in the right side like FF does?

I'm in dyer need, anyone have any idea's? So until i can figure this out, i changes the sites colors back to the original.

Thank you in advanced.

seventhseal
Re: Very Serious Display Issues

More than likely it is the css and color definitions for the block display. IE is not fully CSS compliant. So, when using a lot of cutomization through CSS, you have to do a lot of tweaking to get it just right. Also, if color names are used opposed to color hex values, you can have trouble there as well. Rest assured, it has nothing to do with XOOPS and has everything to do with IE.

As an example, go look at the XOOPS devteam website in Firefox, then with IE. In Firefox, it looks prety normal. In IE, the XOOPS graphic is not diplayed correctly (color issues and transparency issues) and the text in the main portion of the page is about a 1/3 the way down the page.
John Horne - a.k.a. - VelocityWebDev, Seventhseal, CreepingDeath
VelocityWebDev Tech BLOG
VelocityWebHost Hosting and Design

hyperpod
  • 2006/5/1 0:09

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

Quote:

More than likely it is the css and color definitions for the block display. IE is not fully CSS compliant. So, when using a lot of cutomization through CSS, you have to do a lot of tweaking to get it just right. Also, if color names are used opposed to color hex values, you can have trouble there as well. Rest assured, it has nothing to do with XOOPS and has everything to do with IE.

Very true.

And just to second that, keep in mind; IE has many problems with CSS.

Just doing a google search about IE CSS issues, and you can find many problems that IE has with CSS that are very hard to fix.

I wish IE was more standards compliant, since so many people choose to use it.

Please spread the word to everyone. Use FireFox.

Best reagrds,
Daniel Hall / XOOPS Module Development & Theme Design
Free XOOPS Support > My Wish List

RRice
  • 2006/5/1 12:00

• RRice

• Just popping in

I use hex code when doing colors. But even the width of the tables is off, which isn't CSS. For example, if you view the site in it's original state, in FF, the top right column text fits the width of the table, where as in IE6 it doesn't. Nothing special about the text, just typed into the block and saved it.

Would it be safe to say that when making blocks, always use full html in them? IE: making tables at 100% width, etc?

The guy really liked the look of the new layout, from FF.. but if IE isn't going to read the css properly, i don't know what else to do.

Sophie2
  • 2006/5/1 12:07

• Sophie2

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/21

I can rewrite you whole theme and it will look same in FF and IE if you are ready to pay a little.

RRice
  • 2006/5/3 11:25

• RRice

• Just popping in

Quote:

Sophie2 wrote:
I can rewrite you whole theme and it will look same in FF and IE if you are ready to pay a little.

I could, but then i wouldn't know what to do in the future to prevent it from happening again.

Login

Who's Online

247 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 247

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits