Steakman
What is the easiest way to build a XOOPS Server?
  • 2006/4/29 10:59

• Steakman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/3 0

I have been using XOOPS for a few months now and love it :) - So much so I now want to build my Company Intranet using it, but I want to host it in-house.

Can anyone tell me what is the easiest way for me to build a dedicated server for this.

Should it be on a Linux Server or Windows Box, and are there any packages available to make it easier, as my Linux \ PHP \ MySQL knowledge is very limited.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
XOOPS 2.0.18/ PHP 5.0 / MySQL 4.1.21-standard

jdseymour
Re: What is the easiest way to build a XOOPS Server?

You may want to look at this Faq Page for minimum requirements.

I currently use PHP version 4.4.2, apache 1.3.34, MySQL 4.1.11 on CentOS Linux and it runs fine. Windows IIS will also work.

Steakman
  • 2006/4/29 11:33

• Steakman

• Just popping in

Thanks for your reply.

My main problem is lack of knowledge on how to setup PHP and MySQL.

I was looking at the product on this website:

http://www.devside.net/web/server/free/suite

But was unsure if this was my easiest option?

MadFish
  • 2006/4/29 12:09

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I suggest you take a look at Appserv. A Thai guy has put together a convenient installer package that sets up i) Apache webserver, ii) PHP and iii) MySQL. Takes about 30 seconds and you don't have to compile anything yourself. (See Ye On the Almighty Google )

There is also a 'XOOPS Standalone Server' package that does similar things, I think (I have never used that one). If I remember rightly it is somewhere in the downloads section of this site.

Bender
  • 2006/4/29 12:14

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

If you want to think about using xampp check this thread:

http://www.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?t=4228&highlight=production

As far as it goes about linux vs. windows. If you are comfortable with linux and have the knowledge of course i would use that. If you are a linux newbie i´d stick with windows.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

web-M
  • 2006/4/29 12:39

• web-M

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/2 2

Well I use two different local servers

The fist one is: WAMP this is a complete package witch include MySQL and PHP5 youcan easily download and intergrate PHP 4.

They have a very active forum where you can get the answers to all your questions. Follow THIS LINK to see the home page of WAMP (in Englisch or French)

The second one is XSAS (XoopsStandAloneServer)this is also a complete package with XOOPS already included. Follow THIS LINK to see it's homepage (sourceforge)and get to the fora etc.

At this moment I prever WAMP because it uses a newer MySQL version in witch it's possible to dump your file into a previous version. I need this because mij host uses an older version)

For you when you don't need it as a testserver but as a local server it doesn't matter I think.

Steakman
  • 2006/4/29 12:50

• Steakman

• Just popping in

Thanks to everyone who replied

I thought I would try the setup offered in
http://www.devside.net/web/server/free/suite

And in less in 45 minutes, I had my XOOPS Intranet running on an Windows XP Pro PC!

I know nothing about Apache, MySql etc and this installation was fully automatic. - I would highly recommended it, for a novice like me.

I am one happy bunny

wizanda
  • 2006/5/5 19:40

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

The www.devside.net is the most secure, it says about its self.

Yet I couldn't find an uninstaller with it or way to switch it off?

Yet for ease of use I preferhttp://www.wmcreation.it/index.php?action=wmservertools
, even over xsas for testing.

As it installs into the :c and is an actual server you can test fully on with multiple site running.
xsas I had trouble when I started messing trying to update it to a more modern version.
Also when I wanted to run Test sites for module dev, so found Wmserver is easiest.

Not sure on security?

Also I was trying to find a way to get a WAMP with a debugging System built as in, as is there anyway....So that you can make the phpadmin check your system core from within for errors you may not see?

Herko
  • 2006/5/5 20:27

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I use www.uniformserver.com, which is what the XSAS is based on (but XSAS has old versions). This is a WAMP package that doesn't require ANY installation, so you can even put it on a memory key and carry it with you everywhere you go. Portable localhost, always your own development server with you.. nice

Herko[

wizanda
  • 2006/5/6 6:20

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Thxz Herko, I did look at that yet forgot to try it, also that is proberbly easier, as then I can have that on my firewire hard drive.....if it is is as easy as you and they say....will try now and get back.

Still looking for a built in debugging system, there are a few debugging scripts that run with the severs php.ini, any one had any luck with this or anything that can be used to debug fully?

Login

Who's Online

145 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 145

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits