phppp
Re: Revival of the docs section ... going wiki
  • 2006/4/23 14:46

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Concerning wiki scripts/programs, I prefer DokuWiki for personal usage which is light but offers most features a Wiki should have.

Mediawiki from the other side is community usage oriented, heavy but robust, more close to a product, especially for non-latin languages like East Asian.

In my opinion, both are stable enough and with all the features we need. Which to use? IMHO, should be the one that attracts users to contribute: user friendly, easy for manipulation.

Keep in mind, dokuwiki uses plain-text file for storage while mediawiki uses database which requires different strategy for "backup".

JMorris
  • 2006/4/23 14:59

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Just to give the server admin perspective on the choice...

Currently, XOOPS.org is utilizing a tremendous amount of resources because of MySQL queries, therefore, anything that adds to this load is going to slow every site on this server down. Until we can get the resource usage on this site down, I would be more in favor of flat text files.

Brian has more of a say on this than I do, but just to give my opinion.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

irmtfan
  • 2006/4/23 15:05

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

yes media wiki has many fantastic features.
but about the stablity i have failed to work with it in XOOPS 2.2.4

and IMHO it will be more user friendly than any other wiki XOOPS modules

phppp
  • 2006/4/23 15:08

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Yeah, it'd better let brain determine how much difference file/db storage can make.

Just another point comes up: mediawiki would have advantages over dokuwiki if the wiki contents are to be shared by all local communities, or if we in the future have a central wiki for all local languages.

Anyway, let's get back to the wiki content not the wiki tool.

bluenova

Rowd, I'm really impressed with your report. What u are working on, is just what I had in mind for what was needed. Great job well done!

With regards to which wiki, I don't think it's really open to debate now, as rowd has been working on DokuWiki already since Feb.

Bender
  • 2006/4/23 17:35

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Yes no need to discuss which wiki since the decision has been made months ago. I was just asking out of curiosity and not to start a debate.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Login

Who's Online

216 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 216

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits