MikeOConnor
Re: Podcasting

Here's a little scoop on how I do podcasting with a XOOPS site. It's a workaround until the XOOPS software can support podcasting directly, but it works pretty well.

First, here's a link to the site -- Sex and Podcasting (be not put off by the name, it's a play on the title of a community-radio handbook written by a friend of mine -- this is definitely a "work safe" site).

Note the link to an RSS feed down on the lower left? That's an RSS feed that is actually generated by FeedBurner rather than the standard XOOPS BACKEND.PHP module.

Feedburner has a lot of cool features, but the one that's relevant to podcasting (which has been going on since November 2004 by the way) is that it will automatically build the enclosure statement in the RSS feed.

Another tool that folks may want to take a look at is BlogTorrant which is a nice-looking PHP-based gizmo to incorporate BitTorrant seeds into your podcast site to address the "holy cow, I just got really popular and my site's getting hammered" problem. I just came across this one this morning, so I haven't had time to incorporate it into my site yet.

As long as I have your attention, let me lobby for some other blogging functionality additions to the main XOOPS portfolio --
"Pings" (which alert the aggregators that your blog has changed) and "Trackbacks" (which let other blogs know when you've linked to their content) come to mind. It would be great to kinda get XOOPS up to snuff in the whole blogging area -- it's a good solid platform, but it's not up to "excellent" when it comes to blogging.

PTlooker
  • 2006/4/2 22:55

• PTlooker

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/6/15

Weel sorry but i didnt nuderstand this well... so podcasting is what really= a feature with musics and sounds that can be played on ipod am i right? maybe not, but what exactly i need to do to have this on my site...i think my 2.0.13.2 XOOPS version have rss on news module (1.44 with spotlight).
Hope someone can give a slow definition of what is that and how can i add into my site.
Thanks in advance!

PTlooker
  • 2006/4/3 20:24

• PTlooker

• Just can't stay away

anyone?

gestroud
  • 2006/4/3 21:03

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

PTLooker,

The advice MikeOconnor just gave is the best I've seen on the forum.

If you want to get a better idea about what podcasting is (and it's a lot more than "a feature with musics and sounds that can be played on ipod"), take a look here and decide if it's what you want to do first.

http://podcasts.yahoo.com/start

MikeOConnor

Thanks for the kind words.

Unfortunately, it's been a while since i made that post -- and since that time I've switched that site over to WordPress. Sorry -- I decided to use software that's a little more blog-friendly than XOOPS and forgot that I'd pointed y'all at the URL.

But the idea's still the same -- and Feedburner's still the key to making a XOOPS site into a podcasting site. The thing that makes podcasting different from just posting MP3s for people to download is in the ability to "subscribe" to an RSS feed and have the audio files automatically flow down to your computer (or MP3 player).

gestroud
  • 2006/4/5 18:48

• gestroud

• Home away from home

Looks like you jumped ship too soon, Mike. XOOPS' wordpress modules works pretty good now.

PTlooker
  • 2006/4/9 14:39

• PTlooker

• Just can't stay away

Ok so i'm trying this out:

http://podcasts.yahoo.com/publish/3

But anyone know how to autom. this? A module with this will be great.

Thanks!

MikeOConnor

No need for a module.

Here's how it would work using plain-vanilla Xoops.

- Create a podcast (MP3 file full of audio goodness)

- Upload that file to a web site somewhere (anywhere will work, not just your own server)

- Use Xoops's News module to create a great introduction to your podcast. At the end of that introduction, put a link to the URL of your uploaded podcast file (saying something like "click here to listen").

- The news story should be appearing in the default XOOPS RSS feed -- presuming it is, "burn" that feed over at Feedburner (www.feedburner.com).

- When you set it up, tell Feedburner that your RSS feed is a podcast -- Feedburner will then know to look through your RSS entries and if it finds a link to a media file (MP3, MOV, etc.) it will "enclose" it and present that enclosure to the podcasting software.

- Tell your friends to subscribe to your awesome new podcast using the Feedburner RSS feed rather than the default one from XOOPS (might want to rejigger the XOOPS pages so it points to the Feedburner feed rather than its own)

- Tell the podcast aggregators (Apple, Yahoo, etc) about your awesome new podcast -- again using the Feedburner feed, not the XOOPS one.

That's it. No module required -- just let Feedburner do all the heavy lifting.

PTlooker
  • 2006/4/9 16:21

• PTlooker

• Just can't stay away

But that will join news with podcast, and i dont want that.
I'm looking just for a simple module where i can upload the mp3 files, and qhen i do that automa. adds information to the xml file, a new <item> I mean. Then i would like to have the possibility to erase that mp3 file from the server and also the <item> info on the xml file.
So basicly its everything on admin, and on the user side only a the file with the various mp3 and the link to each one of them.

gestroud
  • 2006/4/9 17:33

• gestroud

• Home away from home

You'll probably better off with one of the downloads or links modules. They produce XML feeds and you can control things from the admin side.

Login

Who's Online

125 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 125

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits