bumperscoot
Re: Database Connection problem...

Peterr,

I'm still not able to connect.
I completely uninstalled MySQL, re-installed 4.1.18.. No go.
I checked my windows paths (i.e., system32) fora any "rogue" instances of PHP.ini, or mysql.dll, Etc.., nothing. I can use the MySQL command line client, I do have a database, Etc. I'm leaning towards a PHP issue with this one, but I'm a Newbie at PHP.

I had been previously running 5.x, without any of these issues, but was told that 4.1 was a better choice for a production site.
After a bit of google-work on this issue, I discovered a pile of links to issues between PHP-4.4.2 and MySQL 4.1.

Can anyone offer any other advice on this?
I'm ready to scrap the XOOPS efforts shortly..

Steve

m0nty
  • 2006/3/26 2:36

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

y not use xampp instead..

http://www.apachefriends.org

so simple to setup a kid could do it..

bumperscoot

Thanks for the suggestion, m0nty!

I've been looking at XAMPP, however, it looks like a beast to "lock-down" for production use.

Any suggestions on which PHP/MySQL vers I should be running? I'm having no luck with this combo. I'm about to try a dry install on another machine..

Or...

XSAS??

peterr
  • 2006/3/26 22:34

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/8/5 9

I'd agree with m0nty, I had _so_ many problems when I did try a WAMP (or a WAMPP), but if you try a XAMPP, you will definitely have less issues to sort out. The site m0nty mentioned (http://www.apachefriends.org/ ) is very good and helpful.

If you have another computer, to install the XAMPP, it will be better for many reasons, but if you don't, you can make the XP box dual boot, or I think there are other ways to do it.

Months back I got so sick of one old (win95b) computer, (incompatability problems and old programs no longer run, or refuse to run on XP), that I install SuSE Linux, ... wow if I had known about that, honestly, I would not have bothered with buying XP Pro, SuSE, Ubuntu, there are plenty of very good Linux desktops around.

In terms of PHP/MySQL, this is what we use for an XOOPS site:

Quote:

Operating system Linux
Apache version 1.3.34 (Unix)
PERL version 5.8.7
PHP version 4.4.1
MySQL version 4.1.14-standard

but that is on a (proper) web server, not a setup at home. There can be big differences, especially setting up the security side of things, and for about USD $60 per year. you would have all the bandwidth/diskspace you need.

However, you have XP and that is what you want to run the ".AMP' on, why not drop a post on apache friends, and ask a few questions, I'm sure you will be surprised at your options.

P
NO to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard.
Sign the petition

bumperscoot

Thanks for all the good advice, Peterr & M0nty..

I did send a few emails, and they were quick to reply with other great advice as well. Unfortunately, the consensus is that XAMPP should not be used for a production site..

Let me explain what my use is..
I was hoping to provide a family "community" page for friends & family and host the box at home. Nothing too fancy.. I've got a great XP machine to dump this on, and for the 20-30 users, it would work great. While this certainly will not be a "comercial" site, I do need to maintain a modicum of security..

I'm going to start fresh with PHP 4.4.1, not the 4.4.2 that I had been using. Funy thing is, I had this all working with PHP 5.1 and the newer MySQL. Unfortunately, some modules did not seem to play well with PHP 5.X...

Back to the drawing board, one more time...

peterr
  • 2006/3/27 1:58

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

Security is the biggest issue with running a web server from home, and I wouldn't trust the firewall on XP.

If your modem/router has a NAT firewall, then you are in luck. Only open up port 80 inbound, don't open up any other inbound ports, of course opening up outbound ports is okay, but only if needed. I have the router firewall set to the highest level, _plus_ run Sygate personal firewall, but I don't have any inbound ports open.

P
Sign the petition

bumperscoot

Peterr,

Yes, I am NAT'ed thru several hardware firewalls (this is a no-brainer for me, I am a network/systems engineer by trade).. my site, when running, is fairly invisible to the outside world, and I do not use port 80 at all (I actually bury my site in the ephemeral address range).

I do not run the MS firewall for various security reasons, I have a Cisco PIX box for this.

Again, my question relates to the use of XAMPP as the production environment/setup, when they explicitly DO NOT recommend its use for a production environment.

What specific measures, if any, have you or mOnty used to harden XAMPP for real, outside world traffic?

peterr
  • 2006/3/27 8:33

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

bumperscoot,

Well, you certainly have the skills and equipment to do this.

Yes, I did see on the FAQ for XAMPP that they don't recommend it for production use, ... I don't know why.

Quote:

bumperscoot wrote:
What specific measures, if any, have you or mOnty used to harden XAMPP for real, outside world traffic?

I'm sorry, I never 'opened up' a WAMP or a XAMPP to the outside world. My experience with wanting to get rid of Win95b caused me to install SuSE Linux, possibly you can consider that ? I do have it running on a seperate computer, just an old P2-350, and the 'desktop/GUI side of things' needs a bit more grunt than that, but I'm only going to use it as a local web server, a file repository, and move 'convert' applications that have a very limited life span on win95b (like MS Money is going to be replaced by KMyMoney,etc).

If you had a P3 with 512Mb ram, you don't need that much disk space, .. maybe consider SuSE Linux. The 'windows networking' works okay between the *nix box and windows, just run samba.

There are some SuSE Linux 10.0 screenshots here , plus shots of many other Linux distros.
Sign the petition

peterr
  • 2006/3/27 9:17

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

The only place I can see where XAMPP is not recomended for a production environment is ..

Quote:

The default configuration is not good from a securtiy point of view and it's not secure enough for a production environment - please don't use XAMPP in such environment.

Since LAMPP 0.9.5 you can make your XAMPP installation secure by calling »/opt/lampp/lampp security«.

So it seems to be a security issue only, which of course would be probably one of _the_ most important issues on any website.

It seems you have a very good knowledge/skillset in that area; I wonder what the particular issue is with XAMPP ??
Sign the petition

peterr
  • 2006/3/27 10:42

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

In regards to XAMPP, there doesn't seem to be detailed explanation of the security isue/s. Found a few posts:

http://www.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?t=14045&highlight=production+environment

http://www.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?t=12900&highlight=production+environment

http://www.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?t=13531&highlight=production+environment

The last post mentions a file 'readme_en.txt':

Quote:

A matter of security (A MUST READ!)

As mentioned before, XAMPP is not meant for production use but only for developers in a development environment. The way XAMPP is configured is to be open as possible and allowing the developer anything he/she wants. For development environments this is great but in a production environment it could be fatal. Here a list of missing security in XAMPP:

so, it would seem a good idea to download XAMPP, and see what these issues are.

P
Sign the petition

Login

Who's Online

136 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 136

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits