peterr
How to hide username in 2.0.13.2 ??
  • 2006/3/10 6:24

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/8/5 9

One thing that impressed me about XOOPS 2.2.x versions was the ability to hide the username, which I consider VERY important, as it is _the_ login name.

After seeing the latest news on the "recommended" version to install, I have installed 2.0.13.2 , and now any anonymous user can do this ...

http://www.example.com/userinfo.php?uid=1

and see the username (... just great). :(

Any simple/easy hack to hide the username in this version ? Not only from the ../userinfo.php, but other places as well. I consider it a security risk.

P
NO to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard.
Sign the petition

iHackCode
Re: How to hide username in 2.0.13.2 ??

you can make it so that only registered users can view the userinfo.php file.

Can I stop guests from viewing registered user profiles?

hiding the name in the rest of the site.. i dont know.. but some modules have the option to show posts/articles authors by real name instead of login name.
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

peterr
  • 2006/3/11 0:29

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

Bandit-X wrote:
you can make it so that only registered users can view the userinfo.php file.

Can I stop guests from viewing registered user profiles?

Thanks, that one line mod did the trick, much appreciated.

Quote:

Bandit-X wrote:
hiding the name in the rest of the site.. i dont know.. but some modules have the option to show posts/articles authors by real name instead of login name.

Yes, I have seen that feature in 2.2.x, but don't know if it is also in 2.0.13.2, it may well be, I'll just have to install them and see.

Thanks a lot,

Peter
Sign the petition

m0nty
  • 2006/3/11 0:55

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

lol.. i have to laugh at this..

not becuase i think there's anything wrong with what you are asking.. personally i think it's a good idea.

b4 2.2 was even in beta stage, this was a much asked for addition.. then after 2.2 there was an influx of new users who complained quite forwardly and loudly about the feature and that it is a waste of time and not necessary and does nothing to increase security..

and now a few others like yourself have now come along and requested the exact same thing again.. i'm not getting at you here at all.. as i said i think it's a great addition. but i just have to laugh at what keeps being brought up around here by some people and then blatantly dissed by others.. just goes to show that ya can't please any1 in this game..

i think the username option maybe an optional feature in the next versions.. i don't know, a lot of the devs got a lot of slating over it and felt like their efforts were just being shunned for doing what many people wanted, but a select loud few people didn't want.. but was the loud people that made such an issue about it.. ya can understand why devs are hesitant in doing anything these days..

peterr
  • 2006/3/11 1:13

• peterr

• Just can't stay away

Coming from a background in application programming, mostly customisation, yes I found some wanted features, but others had absolutely no use for it at all.

So, .... we did the obvious make it an option, and users can decide if they want to use it or not. It is hard though, to ignore the 'protests' about additional functionality, added by a lot of hard work, ... 'sweat and tears' so to speak.

In the end we had to reply that the option was like a light switch, turn it on or turn it off.

Have requested it here , ... hoping. :)

P
Sign the petition

Login

Who's Online

273 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 273

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits