slabco
registration date problem?
  • 2005/11/16 3:20

• slabco

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/16

I have been using XOOPS for our gaming community for sometime now, and have been upgrading as we go, but, here with this last upgrade is what led me to post, when a new user joins the site, his/her registration date is Dec. 31, 1969 ???? this is happening with all new member registration, we run XOOPS 2.2.3 Final (Oct 30th) any help would be greatly appreciated :P thnx

p.s. if i let the new registers go (not delete the accounts) is it by any chance a security risk ???

p.s.s :P this only happens on the main site using php 4.3.11 on the test site i have setup using php 5 it does not do this ??

fosterm
Re: registration date problem?
  • 2005/12/13 2:22

• fosterm

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/7 2

I have come across a similar problem. I only have a few registered users. I have noticed in the last day or two that I now have two users with join dates of 12/31/69. The last login column is empty and the post column says they both have 1 post each.

They do not show up in the registered user Group. They do show up if you search for inactive members.

I have no post listed in the forum under those two user names, so I believe that the 1 post each list is incorrect as well as the join date.

I thought that maybe these two individuals had requested registration, but had not yet finished their registration by clicking the link in the email that was sent to them.

How ever when I tested this theory with a new account, I could not reproduce the same results as the two accounts with the 12/31/69 join date.

My test account join date was correct as well as having a 0 post count.

SO needless to say it seems to be sporadic.

Anyone have any similar results or ideas about this.

am using XOOPS 2.2.3 final and php 4.4.0

Thanks
Foz

beanstalk
  • 2005/12/19 17:57

• beanstalk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/8

same problem here. haven't been able to duplicate it. noticed that the post count is negative. for some -1, others -2, -3. not sure what's going on.

allnewtome
  • 2006/1/14 23:59

• allnewtome

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/30

I'd be interested in a solution too. I've had that problem too (ancient join-date, negative post count, and some other entries have been missing). I had to fix it with phpmadmin.

Tobias
  • 2006/1/21 21:54

• Tobias

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/13

I second this question, I have the same thing here. Some users can register, for others, they get that strange registration date and a negative post count. You others: Are you using xoopsprotector module? I somehow had the idea it might have to do with a link being sanitized along the way or something. Just an idea, probably not right.

Veeery interested in having some knowledgable person giving us a lead.
www.affvu.org

allnewtome
  • 2006/1/21 23:23

• allnewtome

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/30

Yeah for me it seems to happen randomly. Not using Protector (though will be installing it soon). The forums seem to be a load of beginners answering each other's questions, which I suppose has its advantages. I presume the experts are busy coding the next (hopefully non-buggy) version... which it seems will be out soon.

Tobias
  • 2006/1/24 0:49

• Tobias

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/9/13

Actually, these forums aren't all that bad. Or they're quite good At least that's my appreciation. May just be difficult for the devs or more savvy people to post something if the answer isn't all that obvious. Or perhaps, it's also terribly obvious and has been answered a million times already. But I didn't find it. But if we keep this thread alive, I'm sure someone will eventually enlighten us

In the meantime, we could try figuring out whether there's something our installs have in common and that might be causing the issue. XOOPS protector is not it, then, which is very good news indeed. My two other ideas: 1.) The people who're trying to register do something funny, like reloading (or double posting) a page they're not supposed to, or they have some firewall installed which strips something from the registration form (I will interview one person who's had that issue and whom I know personally). Or 2.) there might be something with particular PHP and database configurations/versions. Or perhaps also some slowness/time out/hickup in database queries, in which case we might probably just have to live with it or change the webhost.

I have PHP 5.05 on FreeBSD 4.11 and MySQL 4.1.15. What about you?
www.affvu.org

beanstalk
  • 2006/1/26 3:55

• beanstalk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/8

php 4.4.2
mysql 4.0.25

fosterm
More info
  • 2006/2/18 21:59

• fosterm

• Just popping in

I recently received an email from an individual that tried to register an account but received an error message during the process. The error message was "could not create a new user."

When I looked at my list of users this individuals information was listed in the inactive user list and it had the 1969 registration date and the -1 post.

This individual had a @leo.gov address so I can only assume he was on a very secure network when he tried to register. So maybe the 1969 date issue occurs when a user tries to register but cant complete the registration due to tight security on their network.

Just a bit more info. Maybe one of you smart guys will eventually figure this out :)

Thanks
Foz

fosterm
Re: More info
  • 2006/5/17 19:12

• fosterm

• Just popping in

Hi Guys :)

Found a bit more info on this issue. Was doing a test registration. I filled in the information on the initial registration screen. I then hit the button to move on to the next step. The page came up with all the info I had typed in the initial registration page. However on this page i noticed i had typed in my email incorrectly. I then hit the back button to correct the error. I corrected the error and tried to register. It would not allow me to register.

Trying to go back and correct an error during registration seems to cause the 1969 entry to appear under join date. I then deleted this entry manually from the DB... I could not do it through xoops.

After the manual deletion I could then register fine.

So it seems that this problem is caused by making a mistake on the initial registration screen and not realizing the mistake until the summary screen. If you then try to correct the error you can't.

Can someone duplicate this please and then someone much smarter than I am can maybe suggest a code fix?

Thanks
Foz
www.thewoodlandsmonitor.com

Login

Who's Online

172 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 172

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits