banned
Re: newbb vs. Invision Power Board
  • 2006/2/11 0:22

• banned

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/16

In my opinion CBB needs more and more code/mysql optimization before you can compare it with IPB.

This is not only a CBB flaw, some things come directly from the XOOPS framework.. but hey, that framework is not made for 'only a forum' script

Note: I have not looked at CBB3, not right now

banned,

JamesSAEP
  • 2006/2/11 3:44

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/28

Is the full featured IPB a paid serivce? I was just looking at the IPB website and one of the users was having a problem using the private forum are and the response was "that is a paid feature of v2."

m0nty
  • 2006/2/11 4:37

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

Quote:

PortDream wrote:
Is the full featured IPB a paid serivce? I was just looking at the IPB website and one of the users was having a problem using the private forum are and the response was "that is a paid feature of v2."

guess you don't know much about IPB then.. lol

http://www.invisionboard.com for info

as regards to X-IPB, then both versions are full featured.

1.4/1.5 versions are based on invisionboard 1.3.1 which was and always will be FREE

2.x Versions and onwards require a license from invision to use, which means you need to buy the standalone version from invision, and then also purchase the plugin from bbpixel if you want to use it with xoops.

the post on bbpixel what you saw, was not a problem as such.. that feature is just not present in version 1.3.1 of invisionboard.. it was added in version 2 and invision so annoyingly decided that they were no longer going to offer it free of charge..

but either way, both versions are available for xoops.. 1 is free, and the other isn't.. if you want the v2 features, it'll cost ya..

JamesSAEP
  • 2006/2/11 23:46

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/28

Quote:
guess you don't know much about IPB then..

No, I don't know much about it

Thanks for the clarification, m0nty. This thread has made me think about using the IPB in a few sites. I'm going to download the 1.5 version and play around with it.

Cuidiu
  • 2006/5/12 17:51

• Cuidiu

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/4/23

Okay... obviously I'm trying to get a forum up and working but am having trouble with some NewBB2 issues. Here's the thing. The client wants a forum that will send daily or weekly digests of forum posts to their members if the member so chooses. I have tried in vain to get the digest feature to work. My question is - should I try CBB instead? Does CBB offer a working digest? Also, will I be able to edit a forum without an error with CBB? (I can't edit a forum with NewBB and after searching on the [/quote]Dev site I see this is not uncommon.)

If CBB does not offer a working digest and editable forums from the Admin, should I try Invision Power Board 1.5 for XOOPS 2.2.4? I really don't want to go with something that hacks the core files but frankly, I'm beginning to think it's something I'll be forced into due to the client's requirements. I really need to make a decision asap. Can someone please advise which way I should go?

Currently using XOOPS 2.2.4, NewBB 2.0.2, PHP 4.4.2, MySQL 5.0.18-standard-log, Apache/1.3.33 (Unix).

[quote]
davidl2 wrote:
IPB is a stand-alone forum, which requires hacks to work with each XOOPS revision.

CBB is designed to work natively with Xoops.
[size=x-small]Working sites:
XOOPS 2.0.16 PHP 5.2.2, MySQL 5.0.24a-standard-log, Apache/2.0.54 (Unix)
XOOPS 2.2.4, PHP 4.3.10, MySQL 3.23.58, Apache/1.3.33 (Unix)[/size]

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits