alitan
Re: Catzwolf forking xoops?
  • 2006/1/24 0:19

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

For more info on this, please visithttps://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=46186&forum=3 or
Http://www.code-plus.org

<edit>
The link directed to xoops.org is removed by the managment team, therefore do not attempt to use it!
alitan{{<<>>}}
</edit>
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

supernix
  • 2006/1/24 2:33

• supernix

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/13

Quote:

bluenova wrote:
Quote:
I sure hope he is more stable with his fork than he was with the WF modules.

Take it easy supernix, it's comments like this, that drive all the developers away in the first place.

So what is the problem with that.
Any developer honestly should research the people and projects before they get involved so they know who they are dealing with so they don't waste any valuable coding time.

Plus this post has become somewhat of an attempt to try and hijack developers for the Codeplus group. Mighty dang shameful if you ask me.
Steve,
http://www.cutabovehost.com/

Mamba
  • 2006/1/24 2:55

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:

supernix wrote:
Plus this post has become somewhat of an attempt to try and hijack developers for the Codeplus group. Mighty dang shameful if you ask me.

The beauty of OpenSource is that you can work with whomever you want and on whatever project you want. It's up to the people to decide HOW and WHERE they want to spend their FREE TIME! Look, nobody gets paid for it, so why would you try to dictate to people what is right and what is shameful????

We have now (unfortunately!) XOOPS and XOOPScube, and it seems like we are using code from XOOPS Cube in the latest release 2.2.4, so it seems like we can benefit from each other. Let's see CodePlus as another opportunity to explore other ideas and learn from each other. May the best win!

But I wish that we would have only one XOOPS, incl. the original developers, and all work together for the better good of XOOPS. It's always unfortunate that it comes to a situation where the egos and differences are getting in the way.

Therefore my suggestion would be that we as a community get more involved in the decisions, so we won't run into situtation like this, where Catzwolf states: "Neill, also the lead developer and founder of WF-Products (formed in 2002), joined the XOOPS Core in 2004, but left XOOPS in recent months due to a difference of opinion in regard to the development of the XOOPS core.

To be honest, I would like to know what differences he is talking about, and why the only way for him was to leave? Since this seems to be similar to a situation with XoopsCube, where the other devolepers also left to create something different, what is the root-cause of this?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Catzwolf
  • 2006/1/24 3:02

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

supernix wrote:
Quote:

bluenova wrote:
Quote:
I sure hope he is more stable with his fork than he was with the WF modules.

Take it easy supernix, it's comments like this, that drive all the developers away in the first place.

So what is the problem with that.
Any developer honestly should research the people and projects before they get involved so they know who they are dealing with so they don't waste any valuable coding time.

It is people like you who put me off doing work for Xoops, I spent four years working on so many different modules, working on the core and giving my support to countless different people. The amount of hours I spent of my own free time helping to imporve the quality of the modules you use that have been written using much of my code.

WTF have you done for Xoops?

Lance_
  • 2006/1/24 3:08

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Quote:

John_N wrote:
It is people like you who put me off doing work for _______

Fill in the _blank.

You're not at the end of your rope if you think managing your own project will attract only the people you like.

j/kin'
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

supernix
  • 2006/1/24 3:10

• supernix

• Not too shy to talk

True everyone is free to do whatever after all nobody gets paid.

Regardless Herko and the others put many hours into leading this project. As well as providing bandwith and whatever logistics for the site.

It is totally shameful and disrespectful to use someone with a similar project to whom you have cloned their project to claim as your own. And announce your work. There are sites that are generic CMS sites that would have been much better suited for announcing the birth of a new CMS like www.opensourcecms.com

You wouldn't be lame enough to run into a McDonalds and try advertising for Burger King.

As to what gives me the right? HMMMMM well how about the fact that I am a loyal XOOPS fan. That should pretty much do it.
Steve,

Catzwolf
  • 2006/1/24 3:12

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

@lance_ I didn't come here to start this about code-plus and you know I didn't.

Catzwolf
  • 2006/1/24 3:13

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Read your history dude, where do you think XOOPS came from? Try one of the nuke clones. when Ono and the rest of the first team broke from them and started their own fork.

MadFish
  • 2006/1/24 3:16

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I think this the second or third time we've had the forking discussion...maybe more...and the sun still rises in the morning. So take a chill pill and don't worry about it, it really isn't worth starting a war over.

Good luck with your new project John.

supernix
  • 2006/1/24 3:17

• supernix

• Not too shy to talk

Catzwolf I have not forgotten about your on again and off again nature with XOOPS.

Actually I would not be suprised if they banned you permanently this time.

Yes I know all about the history and them comming from PHP-Nuke at one point.
Steve,

Login

Who's Online

202 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 202

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits