tgotch
Re: Mx-directory - input welcome
  • 2006/1/19 15:52

• tgotch

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/31

Tripman,
Glad to see you back
I would be interested in donating to this cause.

I like the image upload.
Also is there a way to have admin select premium listings options (right now they all show). I would like to just have maybe 2-3 options to choose from.

This is an awesome module with great potential!

bjbtexas
  • 2006/1/20 18:34

• bjbtexas

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/3 2

It sounds like everything is back on the fast track!

One thing I would like to see, but don't know if it is possible. My directory is nationwide - I would like a user to be able to sort listings within a category / subcategory by city, state or even country.

Seems like it could be a big bonus for suburban / metro directories where cities begin to sprawl.

Maybe the admin could set up mini directories within the main directory for the cities included.

Example: A directory for metro Los Angeles with the ability to isolate mexican resturants in just Pasedena, Burbank or Hollywood.

tripmon
  • 2006/1/20 19:37

• tripmon

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/2/28

FRAGGO,
There is not a quick fix after looking around... I will however add it as an option (appear across category) in the admin for the next rev.

I don't want it to auto populate across pages... what if you were successful and had 20 mexican food sponsers and 10 pages of mexi eateries...

Each of the 10 pages would have the 20 sponsered listings on top and your users would have to scroll through them... Just sounds like it could get pretty messy.

Alternative is to have the sponsors show up accordian style.. but coding that may really suck.

I'll look deeper and get back to you.

-----------------------

danMAN,
The reporting can all be done pretty easily via PHPMA and would take alot of coding to do what you can do in myadmin in 10 seconds with a single SQL querry... hows abouts I write you some nice querries and leave this out of the module?

The formatting form for singlelink.php... again way more effort than I can possibly see return for. Once again I would rather help you customize than spend 15 hours building into the module what I can do in 2 minutes vis css.

Rest sounds fine.

Summarizing; you would be able to get the results you intended , via a method other than including this functionality in the module itself.

whatchathink?
------------------------
bjb,
Sort sounds doable, added to list. Lemme look at the dB struct again to see what the easiest solution is. (mini-directories just sounds painful).
------------------------

tgotch,
wasssssup

Will add define (and I'll look at adding 'activate' and get back to you) to each premium level for next rev.

Re: contrib's
Thanks, I'm shooting any loot/booty/donated farm animals, etc. straight to XOOPS and accepting nothing but karma units for my works on this.
------------------------

l8r

Fraggo
  • 2006/1/20 21:14

• Fraggo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/12/21

Hey Tripmon,

From an advertising standpoint, it wouldn't be worth it for an advertiser to pay to advertise on a page that is 5 pages deep into a category. They want to be first to catch the eye of someone browsing their restaurant category.

From a publisher standpoint, it would make sense to limit the number of sponsored listings per category (3 or 4 per month). If it got successful, then prices would increase to meet demand until that demand falls off and it reaches equilibrium.

Another option.. long down the road.. is to have the sponsored listings be pay per click rather than a flat rate. The 3 listings would run on a bidding system, and the advertisers would bid for positions......

Can you tell I work in advertising?

danMAN
  • 2006/1/20 21:49

• danMAN

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/13

Quote:

tripmon wrote:
danMAN,
The reporting can all be done pretty easily via PHPMA and would take alot of coding to do what you can do in myadmin in 10 seconds with a single SQL querry... hows abouts I write you some nice querries and leave this out of the module?

That's good enough for me. But I think that the expanded listing of listings in the back end, especially the modified listings, is not the way to go. Just with the test site we had like thirty of modified listing submissions in one day, and going through them trying to locate one single listing by scrolling down was a bit awkward. Vastly better I think to at least have a colapsed listing (one line each) like this:
id159..Business one..date of submit..premium change NO
id232..Business two..date of submit..premium change YES
id22..Business three..date of submit..premium change NO
and so on
Of course, when the admin opens one and approves or not-aproves, the listing then dissappears from the list.
Do you think at least this bit can be done? It would make back-end management of listings so much easier!
Quote:

The formatting form for singlelink.php... again way more effort than I can possibly see return for. Once again I would rather help you customize than spend 15 hours building into the module what I can do in 2 minutes vis css.

That's cool. If you could do that (and perhaps comment in the file where you change things) that would do me :)

Quote:

Summarizing; you would be able to get the results you intended , via a method other than including this functionality in the module itself.

whatchathink?

methinks that's ok, too, though it would be a nice functionality for later versions perhaps?

A warning: One of the things which you would have some fun with is cleaning up the stuff which my coder left me with.

Now, would you like cpanel and admin access to the test site (that way you can judge what you need to download etc as it is a mess), or do you want the whole thing emailed to you as an attachment?

Many thanks

danMAN
  • 2006/1/20 21:52

• danMAN

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/13

Quote:

Thanks, I'm shooting any loot/booty/donated farm animals, etc. straight to XOOPS and accepting nothing but karma units for my works on this.
------------------------

l8r

This sounds to me like guild wars or something. Any of you guys play WoW?

tripmon
  • 2006/1/20 22:45

• tripmon

• Module Developer

danMAN,

I don't have a problem with refining the backend for approval/modifications, I think it's a good idea.

Can you post the zip (the whole module directory) & pm me the url? If not pm me & I'll give you my e-m. I'll want to run a diff on it before I do anything and having the entire module is really the only way I can tell what's going on.

re: animals/karma.... no WoW here, just encroaching lunacy.

-----------------------
Fraggo,
You ad(d?) people....

Quote:
From an advertising standpoint, it wouldn't be worth it for an advertiser to pay to advertise on a page that is 5 pages deep into a category. They want to be first to catch the eye of someone browsing their restaurant category.

Already (before you wrote the preceeding quote) considering the statement above to be self evident and irrefutable, I had previously offered:

Quote:
I will however add it as an option (appear across category) in the admin for the next rev.

What that means is that I will do EITHER (haven't figured this out yet):

1- a specific, pre-defined (hard coded), premium service level to cascade the 'sponsored listings' across all applicable pages.

2- same as 1 with an admin option (in the module config section) as to which premium levels have this feature.

3 - a radio button in the record admin to allow a specific entry to cascade across category.

leaning toward 2 as I'm going to rework the premium clu-fu anyway.

Go ahead, say what one more time....

vimana
  • 2006/1/23 2:07

• vimana

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/26

A great thanx for this fantastic module.

Any chance to sort alpha only a category, the option "search only this category" (i know if write the title of a category + what i want to search it will search only the category but the users don't know)and display link title & category title in search and ORDER BY l.premium DESC not by date.

i added this to singlelink.php
$xoopsTpl->assign('xoops_pagetitle', $ltitle);
to display business name in page title

cheers

tripmon
  • 2006/1/23 18:07

• tripmon

• Module Developer

Good ideas vimana,

will include titles, this cat. only box, & take a look at the search results... may just do premium, then by date... not sure.

Tx.

Fraggo
  • 2006/1/24 3:18

• Fraggo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/12/21

Does anyone here have any experience in doing a mod rewrite on mx-directory?

I'm about to take this task on and am looking for a little guidance...

I want

/modules/restaurants/singlelink.php?cid=32&lid=4343
to read
/restaurants/CategoryName+Restaurants/RestaurantName

Also, same goes for URLS like

/modules/restaurants/viewcat.php?cid=27
should be...
/restaurants/CategoryName+Restaurants

Things I have seen are rewriting them to be link-4343.html, whereas I want the actual business name in the URL...

Any input?

Login

Who's Online

197 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 197

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits