tzvook
Re: Mx-directory - input welcome
  • 2006/1/17 9:15

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Quote:

Mamba wrote:
I absolutely appreciate your efforts and your willingness to move with the code to the next level.

Yep, I think that a lot of users here will be glad to see a "biz directory" project starting to move again and will be happy to Beta test and bug crush ....

I must say "phpmydirectory.com" is a great model to folow - it has a lot of interesting features, especially this advanced search ( usiness: , Product, Image, Document ......... by location and so on .... ) - essentail for a "big" biz directory.

Ability to add fields is great too ...

danMAN
  • 2006/1/17 9:29

• danMAN

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/13

Quote:

It's not that way you think. He is the author of the xdirectory, so actually you're using his code that he donated to the community. If he decided to move into a different direction with the code, we need to respect it. It's up to us to improve on his original code. I absolutely appreciate your efforts and your willingness to move with the code to the next level.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, and indeed respect the decisions of coders to 'move on'. I didn't mean it like you understood it :) It was simply a statement of fact. He gave, he used the community for testing, then he (unfortunately for us) left it at that and modified the directory for his own use. Nothing wrong with that - as I said previously I am inspired by his excellent set-up, and wish he shared more of his talent with us - I hope this doesn't come accross as disrespectful, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone.

Mamba
  • 2006/1/17 16:26

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:

danMAN wrote:
He gave, he used the community for testing, then he (unfortunately for us) left it at that and modified the directory for his own use. Nothing wrong with that - as I said previously I am inspired by his excellent set-up, and wish he shared more of his talent with us - I hope this doesn't come accross as disrespectful, and I certainly don't want to offend anyone.

I was objecting to the "he used the community for testing".

"Using somebody for something" has a very negative meaning and that's NOT what was happening here.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

danMAN
  • 2006/1/17 22:16

• danMAN

• Just popping in

Quote:

"Using somebody for something" has a very negative meaning and that's NOT what was happening here.

Now, I am starting to find this offensive. I have just spent hundreds of dollars on this module, and I am beginning to think that I ought to go elsewhere.

Let me explain for the last time: That's exactly what happened! Again, it is YOUR interpretation of it. In my book (and most other people's) using somoene for something does not necessarily have negative, let alone VERY negative, connotations. For example, your employer uses you to make a profit, when he or she or they sack you because your position has become redundant, that is unfortunate for you and a good decision for them. Just because someone gives something to this community, it doesn't mean that they don't want something back - indeed, this is one of the roles which this community serves as I see it: to give coders an opportunity to test, and use their skills in a multitude of applications testing scenario. Thus, it benefits THEM as well as the community. That they then leave and go on using their improved/tested coding (and usually the code generated by others) as a core to further development and enhancement of what they want is ok as far as I am concerned. However, it is also ok for the community's members to simply state what has happened and lament the fact that the coder has chosen to not share the code built on what a multitude of others tested for him/her. So please rethink your inappropriate moralistic statements before posting them. If this continues I am simply going to leave as I don't need this bull right now.

msdana
  • 2006/1/17 22:53

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Agreed.

Example: I use my son and friends for testing and design purposes; I do not feel that has negative meaning, I need feedback, they provide it.

I, for one, am glad someone has shown an interest in reviving/completing mx-directory. Daniel, as I told you in the PM, I'm available to help out any way I can.

Now, can we please just get back to the initial topic -- creating a directory the whole community can use?

Dana
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

bjbtexas
  • 2006/1/17 23:20

• bjbtexas

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/3 2

I have to agree with danMAN.

The developer at folsomliving.com (buliderb) built the module around an existing module mylinks, and used this community to work out the bugs. Then after careful consideration he stopped open source development on the project.

His efforts are widely used and greatly appreciated.

Lets don’t argue semantics; I use mxdirectory and xdirectory before that.

Thanks for your gallantry Mamba, but I don’t believe builderb would take offense.

I think we all use this site for our own purposes and that’s what keeps everything fresh and interesting.

Thanks Mamba for your sense of egalitarianism and thanks to danMAN for the continued development of a great module.

I’ll be glad to help out anyway I can.

Mamba
  • 2006/1/17 23:33

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:

danMAN wrote:
Now, I am starting to find this offensive.

Why offensive? Gee, if I don't agree with you on something, why does it have to be offensive? But I hope that we can focus on making the mxdirectory a better module instead of finding offense in stuff that we say here.
Quote:

I have just spent hundreds of dollars on this module, and I am beginning to think that I ought to go elsewhere.

That's your decision. Nobody can force you to do anything one way or the other.
Quote:

Let me explain for the last time: That's exactly what happened! Again, it is YOUR interpretation of it. In my book (and most other people's) using somoene for something does not necessarily have negative, let alone VERY negative, connotations.

According to Webster one of the meaning of the word "use" is "to take unfair advantage of" and that's how it sound it to me. If you didn't mean it, then we are all cool.
Quote:

That they then leave and go on using their improved/tested coding (and usually the code generated by others) as a core to further development and enhancement of what they want is ok as far as I am concerned. However, it is also ok for the community's members to simply state what has happened and lament the fact that the coder has chosen to not share the code built on what a multitude of others tested for him/her. So please rethink your inappropriate moralistic statements before posting them.

It seems to me that the moralistic statements are coming from you, i.e. it seems that you believe that because the community tested the module he should continue to share all his improvements with the XOOPS community. Since he didn't take the module away and since we can improve on this as a community, I am perfectly OK with what he did, so if you feel differently, let's agree to disagree on that. No offense!
Quote:

If this continues I am simply going to leave as I don't need this bull right now.

That's your decision. Nobody can force you to do anything one way or the other. But as I said earlier in this thread, I do appreciate your willingness to move the module to the next level, and I hope, we can move there together as a community...
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

tripmon
  • 2006/1/18 9:57

• tripmon

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/2/28

Here's my 2cents.

I have a revised version that has bug fixes (paging, premium listings, etc.) and additional search features along with an option for Kovi support & some minor additions.

While I could get this package together pretty quickly, I would be interested in making this next release as full featured as possible (I only plan on 1 more iteration of code).

It's been so long since I put the rest of the code together I might as well revisit Pandora's box... I'm open to feature requests from now until the end of Jan. At the end of Jan, I will create a feature list and begin coding a definitive version.

Please submit your feature suggestions, code corrections, etc in this thread (makes it easier for me not to mention after the crash I never rebuilt the dev site).

I'll be active in here over the coming weeks so Speak Up if you want to be heard.

danMAN, sounds as though you have made some nice additions... if you want to donate the code you have to this project, let me know.

danMAN
  • 2006/1/18 10:23

• danMAN

• Just popping in

I am sorry but I am not prepared to put up with this nonsense. Mamba you continue to misinterpret what I have to say, and I do find this offensive. I would like an apology, please.

FAO_Day
  • 2006/1/18 16:35

• FAO_Day

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/15

Tripmon, I never got a response to the problem I encountered:

Insert data from textfile into table.

Using this command in PHPMyAdmin for MxDirectory inserts the data, but the listings do not appear on the site(are not visible) The listings all had to be approved via the admin interface, but still are not visible on the site, although they are visible when browsing the table in in the database. Does this function not work in MxDirectory? Oh, the site shows the correct number of listings and the listings are even in their correct category, just not visible. Any ideas?

If I needed to restore the listings due to a crash,I assumed that would be the course to follow, but it doesn't appear to work, unless I'm overlookin something?

Login

Who's Online

207 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 207

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits