Herko
Re: Catzwolf forking xoops?
  • 2006/1/13 10:25

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

But it would have been proper of him doing more then just a search-and-replace XOOPS=CodePlus and making that a new project. Even the project description is XOOPS's. That's not just forking, that's copying everything and pretending you made it (even tho the credits in the code is still there).

What surprises me is that Catzwolf asked me to find a new home for his wf-projects on the phone, because he was just too busy with work to do any coding on the popular modules. He felt they deserved more attention. But apparently he now has enough time to code a whole new CMS and create and support a new community.
The wf-modules have found a new home with the SmartFactory, so they are now getting the attention they deserve. And I wish John all the best for his CodePlus adventures. It would be nice to say somewhere that 99% of the work he's presenting as CodePlus is made by this community tho.

Herko

m0nty
  • 2006/1/13 10:52

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

the commits in the cvs were 6 weeks ago tho. i think b4 wf-projects merged?? not too sure on timeframe.. so maybe he ain't bothering with it..

does seem strange tho how a new user registered just to mention that. tho. seems some1 tryin to rock the boat in my opinion.

kaotik
  • 2006/1/13 11:47

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

He does have some interesting new classes in there such as a cpanel controller. Might be worth considering also for xoops.
www.kaotik.biz

Herko
  • 2006/1/13 12:14

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

I am checking it out now, but the package in the CVS is incomplete to say the least. He even included the mainfile fully written from his localhost.

edit
I tried to get it to work on my localhost, but the CVS checkout shows only a few files so that isn't a complete system. Then I tried overwriting a default 2.0.13.2 set of files and install it. But that failed during the install. Then I tried to overwrite an installed 2.0.13.2 site, but that fails too, as I can't even log in then. Plus the register link now points to a (missing) html file, not the registration php file.

I failed to get this working. I would have loved to see what he has done tho.

Herko

Sophie2
  • 2006/1/13 15:57

• Sophie2

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/21

girlydevgirl is probably catzwolf

Catzwolf
  • 2006/1/13 20:02

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

I would just like to say thanks to Ana at XOOPS design for emailing me regarding this topic or I wouldn' thave known about it otherwise.

No, I am not the orginal poster and I was a tad surprised to hear that someone had found it. I was hoping to do this in my time and not someone else's time. But never mind now.

Yes, I am forking Xoops, simple and as straight as that. I have my reasons for doing so and do not wish to discuss it further in these forums. Please feel free to PM or email if you wish to know my reasons why.

@Herko:
Yes I did tell you that I know longer had the time to continue working on my modules, and that was correct. I don't have the time now and I did what I believed was best for WF-Project users and the modules. Marcan is a #OOPS# good developer and he is building a good strong team over there and I feel they are in better hands now and the community will get better and more solid modules.

As for just doing a grep on XOOPS => codeplus, you assume too much without actually even seeing my code, and then you tell everyone that the code on sourceforge doesn't work. Of course it won't, I only did that to actually test CVS and its an older version and even then, code-plus and XOOPS are so different in many ways and it would be impossible to overwrite any version of XOOPS and expect it just to work.

You will see code-plus at the end of march when the first beta is released to the public.

@Monty:
Thank you for your continued support over the years and I will you well over at smart modules :)

:@Nova:
Again I would like to thank you for your support and kind words.

m0nty
  • 2006/1/13 21:00

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

thanks john, and i wish you well too, can't say i'm thrilled about you leaving.. but times change and we must go with our hearts.. if your heart isn't in it anymore then you have to do whats right for you. i hope everything works out for you :)

smart modules has a great team, and i'm really enjoying the new challenge and learning curve. i'm learning quite a lot already, so i'm glad i took the advice and joined.

alitan
  • 2006/1/13 21:43

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

I wish this would be a great project and hopefully it wil be! I have seen some parts of it, and I loved it. As I said before, I will try to help John! Nevertheless, most likely I will be here as well. So hopefully I'll be working on both projects
Alitan{{<<>>}}

P.S.--> I don't think there is a problem with forking as the GNU lisence explains! So please don't complain!
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

davidl2
  • 2006/1/13 21:54

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

And perhaps some good ideas can cross both directions?

Herko
  • 2006/1/13 22:20

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

John_N wrote:
@Herko:
As for just doing a grep on XOOPS => codeplus, you assume too much without actually even seeing my code, and then you tell everyone that the code on sourceforge doesn't work. Of course it won't, I only did that to actually test CVS and its an older version and even then, code-plus and XOOPS are so different in many ways and it would be impossible to overwrite any version of XOOPS and expect it just to work.

You will see code-plus at the end of march when the first beta is released to the public.

John, thanks for this clarification. I didn't mean to imply all you did was take the XOOPS code and claim it is your own. All I said is that it looks as if you're doing that, because of the project description which is a direct copy from XOOPS's with nothing but the name of the project changed.
As for the code not working, in my edit addition I said that I was unable to get it to work, so I couldn't check it out. I didn't blame your code, I blame myself. I didn't expect much, but was (and still am) very curious as to what you have done to it.

I wish you all the best with your project

Herko

Login

Who's Online

197 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 197

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits