Basiatus
Upgrading from 2.0.10 to 2.2.3 possible?
  • 2006/1/7 4:45

• Basiatus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/11

Hi all

Is upgrading from V 2.0.10 to 2.2.3 possible?

And if so what are the challenges and risks?

Thanks

Rob

dickinsd
Re: Upgrading from 2.0.10 to 2.2.3 possible?
  • 2006/1/7 10:43

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/11/14

Updating from 2.0.10 is possible, it's just not a 'direct' upgrade.

Your upgrade route would look like this:

XOOPS 2.0.10 to 2.0.12a Patch
XOOPS 2.0.12a to 2.0.13 Patch
XOOPS 2.0.13 to 2.0.13.1 Patch
XOOPS 2.0.13.1 to 2.2.3 Final Upgrade Patch

So there is a little bit of work to undertake.

challenges and risks?:

As far as I am concerned there are only 2 risks/challenges:

1. MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR WORKING SITE AND DATABASE before you begin, that way, you will always have something to return to.

2. There are some older modules that do not work with the latestversion of xoops.

The best thing you can do is do a 'test' upgrade first of all.

If you have the time and either a sub-domain or a spare domain, then you should take a complete backup of your site and database, install it to your 'spare' domain then carry out the upgrades, if all goes well you can perform the upgrades to your main site.

Of course not everyone has the time or resources to do this.

At the very least you should consider the following as an upgrade path:

1. Backup your website

2. Backup your database

3. Unzip and upload XOOPS 2.0.10 to 2.0.12a Patch and then update the system in module administration. (Test modules etc are working)

4. Unzip and upload XOOPS 2.0.12a to 2.0.13 Patch and then update the system in module administration. (Test modules etc are working)

5. Unzip and upload Unzip and upload XOOPS 2.0.13 to 2.0.13.1 Patch and then update the system in module administration. (Test modules etc are working)

The next upgrade is the biggest change to your site so you should really take the time to backup your site again and also take another backup of your database.
6. Backup your database and website one more time.

7. Unzip and upload XOOPS 2.0.13.1 to 2.2.3 Final Upgrade Patch, then update the system in module administration. (Test modules etc are working)

I have upgraded several site from XOOPS 2.0.x to XOOPS 2.2.3 and I have had few problems with the upgrade process.
Excluding the time it takes to backup your site and database (as this time is dictated by your connection to the server(s)) the entire process should not take more than an hour to complete.

I wish you well for this upgrade.

Dave

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits