• 2005/12/11 8:52

• new_bie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

After I read all the replies I have one single request:
Is this 2 much to ask:

-A new releaseXoops core version renaming all the module names from:
https://xoops.org/modules/xoopspartners/
links to /plugins/partners (to be more discret)
like subdreamer and koobi.de:
http://www.subdreamer.com/
My apportation will be create new and fresh themes for xoops.
trying to create and out of the box design (boxy)..

/new_bie

m0nty
Re: can xoops compete with joomla?
  • 2005/12/11 8:59

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

can't see any reason for changing modules to plugins.. whats the point..

regarding xoopspartners.. sure download the module and change its name yourself by editing the files.. i think theres an faq telling you how to.. i know theres forum topics that do if you search..

Mamba
Re: Theme builder wizard
  • 2005/12/11 10:04

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

How difficult would it be to develope a visual "Theme builder Wizard", where people could select options (e.g. banner (yes/no), right blocks visible (yes/no), and then select colors for particular elements (e.g. block heading, main text, etc.), and all of this could be visible in real time on the screen.

Once done, you can save your work (for future changes), and then generate the theme.htm and the corresponding CSS files.

This would be a good start for anybody to create themes, which they could be then customized. Right building a them is somewhat too time consuming, especially for poeple who are not very good at coding.

If this would make it easier for people to create themes, I am sure that we could have a lot of new themes and thus an advantage against Joomla.

It wouldn't have to be a very complex "do it all" wizard. Just one that would generate a basic standard theme.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

davidl2
  • 2005/12/11 11:43

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

A theme builder wizard should not be too difficult to do - but it requires someone with an extensive knowledge of how XOOPS themes work, who is able to code in something capable to do it.

I think theres quite a few people who could do this, if they had time and thought about it.

It's a good idea - although perhaps it may result in some more rigid designs in some ways.

Also check www.myxoops.com for Pod's Dreamweaver utility.

Mamba
  • 2005/12/11 12:03

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
It's a good idea - although perhaps it may result in some more rigid designs in some ways.

This would be only a starting point to produce a correct, solid theme. Beginners could stop there and just use it as is, but advanced people could customize it manually.

Also, if somebody could create such a Theme builder wizard to design themes using a color theory similar tohttp://www.color-wheel-pro.com/sample-schemes.html, it would be even more appealing!

Quote:
Also check www.myxoops.com for Pod's Dreamweaver utility.

I have it, but it's more a time saver for coders, and what I am looking for is a visual tool for designers (and/or XOOPS beginners) who might have no idea about Smarty, etc.

On another note - I found this cool Website dedicated to CSS:http://www.csszengarden.com

Just choose the different style sheets and enjoy the different approaches.

It would be really cool if we would have themes like these on the XOOPS main Webiste as a show case for XOOPS.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

damaster
  • 2005/12/11 13:54

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Quote:
Hi Damaster,

if XOOPS had already this done, it's a shame that we didn't continue with this.

Could people who were involved in this let us know what has happened? What did work and what didn't, so we can learn from it?

Unfortunately, you don't provide any links, so I don't know where to see the proposed mascotte. Was the Xoopy officially decided on? If yes, what happened? Just lack of action?

Yes, it is already done.
People here will ask again - why to reinvent the wheel... again?...

When it seems things repeat over and over, you may agree, that it's better to discuss, as you've mention, about problems and how to resolve them? After what, independant teams should begin from a solid basement - where? Well, An important work was done by Jason at XOOPS Theme Forge, please, ask Herko or StudioC for a copy of that work (accessibility, usability, ergonomic, tools, tutorials, graphics and many other ideas and concepts available).
Use XOOPS Search and try to talk to Devs and Leaders...

Good Luck

P.S. Independent teams working as the local support communities but collaborating through a multi-language web interface .
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

alitan
  • 2005/12/12 3:36

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

Please take at a look into the following link:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=44595&start=0#forumpost195397
I have created some Wallpapers for XOOPS to promote this applications on the PSP handheld systems(Although I think it's a stupid Idea).
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

JMorris
  • 2005/12/12 3:55

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

THANK YOU alitan!

The only stupid ideas are the ideas that are never acted upon!

At least you are doing something and that is what is important.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

silvrhand
  • 2005/12/12 16:23

• silvrhand

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/11

Ok,

How about you POST these requests on the front page so *EVERYONE* can see them and try to contribute, right now it's buried in a 10 page thread that has gone off topic. This thread was orginally about joomla, but what the real issue for XOOPS has nothing to do about it's code or features.

It has everything to do with the lack of communication with the community. XOOPS is the most complete system front to back, but it's by far one of the worst to communicate changes and upcoming direction to it's userbase via it's website.

This needs to be fixed before it gets much worse.

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
//Disclaimer still applies!

//Begin Rant... Again.

The Core Team is awake. They do hear the community. Much of what has been mentioned here is being worked on in the background. However, there are only 12 Core Team members and only a few dozen hands actively working on XOOPS. This is a big project and we don't have nearly enough people working on it.

I agree that this site really needs freshening up. If anyone can come up with a fresh, modern, W3C compliant theme that would be appropriate for this site, PLEASE do so! I cannot say whether or not it will be approved, but at least it is a contribution! [Hint: #189DE8 would be a wise accent color!]

If anyone can implement any of the features that have been mentioned, PLEASE do so! Then submit your code to the Core Devs. They will look at it as soon as they possibly can. If it doesn't get approved, don't take it personal! Only the Core Devs know the [code-level] direction XOOPS is taking. Your suggestion may not fit into the direction that XOOPS is taking, but at least you contributed!

//End Rant.... Again.

davidl2
  • 2005/12/12 16:33

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

People are listening, and things are moving in the right direction.

Login

Who's Online

165 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 165

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits