tzvook
Re: Open or not to open source !?
  • 2005/12/10 7:11

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

Quote:

JMorris wrote:

Anymore, it upsets me to visit this site. I visit several times a day, every day so I can keep up with my responsibilities here, but anymore, I choose to do so anonymously.

During my visits, I see the same basic threads, the same basic complaints, the same, the same, the same. It's like a bad broken record that justs keeps skipping.

Can XOOPS do this or that?
Can XOOPS compete with this or that?
How do I do this or that with XOOPS?
Why doesn't this or that work in XOOPS?
The Core Team needs to do this or that!

After so many years in here I just see those (this) thread ... I start to imagin a bunch of old ladies with no teeths mambling and gagling.
"No teeth" is no teeth ... as my long expirience tought me the one who complain is not the one who do the work
(work in the community is not just coding, as said many times).

Do you all paid something for this product? do you think you deserve more for your money ?

Take it like it is or halp make it better, don't like it, sorry to say that ... but ... a simple "hit the road" is needed here, though sound bad !!!!!!
Help make it better is not just a real help, but also being here, be productive thinking and not complain all the time.
your'e waisting everybody's energy as little kids....

Quote:
I actually got so upset at one point that I started evaluating other systems again. Do you know what I found???

I found that XOOPS still provides the best combination of themes, modules, flexibility, and ease of use of ANY free content management system available. PERIOD! NO other product can match XOOPS as a whole!

Sure, there are CMSs that look better.
There are CMSs that have a stronger community.
There are CMSs that have better ____ features.

But NONE have the total package like XOOPS! Not Joomla, not Drupal, not Xaraya, not Postnuke, not Typo3, not CPGDragonfly, not Modx (Etomite), etc, etc, etc...

So I'll share my expirience with CMS too......
My company deals with CMS since 1996. in those early days I was the one who had to decide if we'll go to the php way or the asp/perl way (php was so new) .... and no one even promised us that php will continue to be supported in the future ....
since then we worked with nonerous CMS's .... which each has it's bad and it's good sides....

These days we work with about 4 CMS's Joomls is an option too, websiteBaker is the definately the best choice for small to medium sites ...

Whenever I has to choose between XOOPS and Joomla/Mambo I find myself choose XOOPS with all my heart.
Joomla is just too hard to work with (Admin side) and our customers hates it !!!! it's admin side is confusing for the novice and even sometimes to an expirienced user too ....
The 4 last time we had to choose between Joomla and Xoops, XOOPS won by far !!!!!

and about FUTURE of CMS and the NET future ... as said, I'm here for a long time, headr those nonsense so many time, with each technology that met the market ....
Since then FLASH was supposed to be the only technology to work with websites and so on .....

I see the future @ XOOPS due to it's simplicity in the admin side, it's stability and some users in the community that for our luck is has a lot of patiance for all you complainers....
Who don't see the future can sign out of here and learn the hard way that XOOPS is the best of it's kind.
again: each CMS has it's ups and downs and to compare XOOPS and Joomla is a mistake, XOOPS is so much "lighter in use" and easy to start with....

Now a bit about XOOPS design: with a bit of creativity and imagination so much can be done !!!!! so stop complainings start designing

Mamba
  • 2005/12/10 10:00

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
I think he is the little yellow guy on This Page..

Personally, I was not impressed with it. Too complicated for my taste. If it was democratically voted on and it won, I would have to live with it. Otherwise, it would be nice to have something simpler, which would scale better.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

davidl2
Re: can xoops compete with joomla?
  • 2005/12/10 10:25

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Much as I hate short posts:

Totally agree with you JM.

Mamba
  • 2005/12/10 10:44

• Mamba

Hi JMorris,

Quote:
Anymore, it upsets me to visit this site.

No reason to get upset. I think, all the questions are legit and normal.

Quote:
Can XOOPS do this or that?
How do I do this or that with XOOPS?

This is good - people are actually interested, probably new to XOOPS, and having new people joining XOOPS is always good

If this concerns you, it means that our FAQ and tutorials are not sufficient, or people are not aware of them. In cases when people are just too lazy to read FAQ or documentation, we should just gently point them to it

Quote:
Can XOOPS compete with this or that?

These questions show concern and curiosity of the people. I want XOOPS to be the leader, so if I see a new development, I am curious if we still can compete with this, or if we should do something about it.

Quote:
Why doesn't this or that work in XOOPS?
The Core Team needs to do this or that!

These are good questions and a good source for ideas for things to improve. If this question was already asked, and decided negatively, let's answer it in FAQ, otherwise let's put this ToDo list, and prioritize it.

I believe that being concerned, wanting to make XOOPS better, is healthy. Yes, XOOPS is not perfect, so recognizing some of the issues is the first step to resolve them. Therefore we should be able to talk about it.

What upsets me, are those destructive messages - something like XOOPS will die, you people suck, this and that developer suck, XOOPS has no future.

But still, answering those type of questions or comments, we should stay as professional as possible. I've been in the OpenSource area for a quite some time (my SourceForge ID <1000 ) and one of my learning was that people who want to provide leadership have to be patient and can't allow themselves to be defensive to newcomers. You can argue privately with other members of the Core Team, but don't bash people in public if they ask aggressive questions. Your answers will, whether you like it or not, reflect on XOOPS, and not only on you as a person. So if somebody is on the Core Team, they should think twice before answering in a defensive manner.

Quote:
There is so much energy wasted around here with hot air, griping, complaining and comparing that could be much better spent improving! If you don't like something around here, get off your duff, put together a proposal, patch, theme, logo, etc and submit it to the Core Team! If it's too big of a job for just you, partner up with a few people and call yourself a team! I don't care how you do it, JUST DO IT!

Couldn't agree more with you. But one comment: we also have to create an environment where those teams can succeed, i.e. where we support them, provide them the right tools, coaching, and mentoring. And we have to listen to them.

What concerns me is the fact that you said that many of these things are coming up again and again. If this is the case, then it seems like:

- they are important to the people
- they haven't been properly resolved or explained why it doesn't make sense to do them

It comes down to the right communication back to people.

Quote:
The Core Team is awake. They do hear the community. Much of what has been mentioned here is being worked on in the background. However, there are only 12 Core Team members and only a few dozen hands actively working on XOOPS. This is a big project and we don't have nearly enough people working on it.

If it is being worked in the background, then people should know about it. Let's not keep things in secret!

Quote:
If anyone can implement any of the features that have been mentioned, PLEASE do so! Then submit your code to the Core Devs. They will look at it as soon as they possibly can. If it doesn't get approved, don't take it personal! Only the Core Devs know the [code-level] direction XOOPS is taking. Your suggestion may not fit into the direction that XOOPS is taking, but at least you contributed!

It concerns me that only Core Devs know the direction XOOPS is taking. This should be public, so people know if something will fit or not. Otherwise they would be wasting their time doing something, and then learning that it doesn't fit.

We should have a different process where people can submit code to a specific location (a sandbox), and the community can discuss it there, and provide feedback. Core Devs should also provide feedback, i.e. telling if it fits or not, and if not, then why.

Quote:
If you are a newcomer, PLEASE use the search box at the top right corner of this site and read the FAQ BEFORE you post a support request! The time you spend looking for answers yourself will be less than the time you spend waiting for someone else to spoon feed you and you will be a more competent XOOPS user for it!

Couldn't agree more with you on this!!!!!

In summary, I think that the Dev Team does an awesome job. They do it in their free time, and therefore we are very thankful But to be successful it's not enough to be a good coder. The XOOPS leadership team has to be also a good communicator, good team builder, a good mentor/coach, so we can build and mobilize the community. If we say that Joomla is doing a good job, let's not see it as a critique of the XOOPS team, but as an opportunity to learn from them and get better!
Support XOOPS => DONATE

alitan
  • 2005/12/10 14:25

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

I fully agree with Mamba.
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

JMorris
  • 2005/12/10 15:17

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

VERY good points Mamba!
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Lance_
  • 2005/12/10 17:36

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Excellent points Mamba.

Since we've prided ourselves on our community, I also am perplexed at the little info coming from the devs. I really think info should be a bit more transparent in order to strenghten the community feel.

In our case, no news, is not always good news.

Cheers.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

Mamba
  • 2005/12/10 19:04

• Mamba

Quote:
Since we've prided ourselves on our community, I also am perplexed at the little info coming from the devs. I really think info should be a bit more transparent in order to strenghten the community feel.

I think, monthly or quarterly "Update reports" from the Dev teams would be nice. Something along the lines:

This our vision for XOOPS (read details here...), and that's how we getting closer to it:

Areas of focus for us since the last report was: xxx

Areas where we were successful are: xxx

Areas where we need help: xxx

Individual Team Reports:

- Team A (overview of recent activities, successes, and setbacks)
- Team B ...

I would also like to learn more about the developer team. On SourceForge I see that there are 109 members:

http://sourceforge.net/project/memberlist.php?group_id=41586

but I would like to know more about the structure. Who is on which team, what are the teams responsible for, who is the team leader, etc. Having this info on the Web would make it more "human", thus more accessible and engaging.

Each team should also have some goals and timeframes for them. And then report back to the community on the progress.

Let's make the structure and interaction with the community more transparent and more engaging. After all, we all want XOOPS to be the best!!!
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Jurgen
  • 2005/12/10 19:07

• Jurgen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/14

Well, since I registered, there is no completed Development guide to explain the core, the modules. You need to read the modules to have a clue. First priority should always be, to have a good dev guide.

Dona_Brasil

Quote:
What upsets me, are those destructive messages - something like XOOPS will die, you people suck, this and that developer suck, XOOPS has no future.

These messages belong to a few people only. The only way these messages could become destructive is when they are selffulfilling prophecies. That would require a large amount of people thinking this way within the XOOPS community. That would not be logical: if there would be a substantial amount of people who think this way most would leave the community.

Login

Who's Online

171 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 171

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits