defwind77
can xoops compete with joomla?
  • 2005/12/5 10:10

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/11

Try visiting:http://vietnamtourism.designformambo.com/

This is a site made with joomla - if you scroll down, you can see that each news item - even those in lists is able to display a small icon picture next to the title.

Is this at all possible in XOOPS or would I need to move to joomla to do this?

defwind77
Re: can xoops compete with joomla?
  • 2005/12/5 11:57

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

well there appears to be many other CMS's doing this, but for some reason XOOPS can't do it? Is this just a glaring weakness or is there some technical reason it can't cope with images?

Here's some other links that people have PM'ed to me with other CMS's that can show an image:

http://ezinedemo.designformambo.com/

This is an updated mambo site by the looks of things - looks really useful.

www.interhaber.com
www.yuksekovahaber.com

Some very good ideas there.

Does anyone know if any of the various mod developers are planning such a feature? There appears to be a massive requirement for it - judging by the number of requests in these forums for it and the number of PMs I've got in a matter of hours!

P.S Can you folk just post links here rather than PM'ing them to me?!

wtravel

With all respect, your question has not much to do with XOOPS being able to compete with Joomla. Both XOOPS and Joomla have their own set of benefits and features and there are quite a few posts on the comparison between XOOPS and Mambo.

Basically you are asking for one feature in a module, and I am sure that it will be possible to do a bit of customization on one of the news or articles modules.

Best wishes

davidl2
  • 2005/12/5 14:44

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

This seems a fairly straightforward hack - I dont see why something like this couldnt be done if required.

defwind77
  • 2005/12/5 15:11

• defwind77

• Not too shy to talk

Heh! Well I've heard that a lot - likewise with the tons of questions asking 'how to make news like the front page of xoops.org' with an image - again 'it's a simple hack' is the response, but nobody actually has explained it!

It'd be great if this could be explained or even integrated into Article or News - however it doesn't appear to be 'that easy' as I assume, given the requests, someone would have done it by now!

Does anyone have any ideas how to integrate such a feature - or have a XOOPS site where it has been done? (apart from xoops.org which apparently advertises features that can't actually be done with itself without recoding it!)

jegelstaff

It's a module issue. For anyone who knows PHP and Smarty, it would be fairly easy to add in such a feature to a module, such as News or AMS. Just add a field to the article submission form where you can browse to the image, add a space in the DB to store the image name and pass the image name to the template. Then layout the news items however you want in the template, complete with image.

The issue is not XOOPS, it's the modules that are available, and the ability of your web master to work with the technology.

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

FusionKid
  • 2005/12/5 16:51

• FusionKid

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/27

Not sure about News / Article, but I use AMS and it is possible to add images to news items to get the same look/feel of the sites that you have referenced without the use of any sort of hacks.

LazyBadger

Quote:

jegelstaff wrote:
It's a module issue. For anyone who knows PHP and Smarty, it would be fairly easy to add in such a feature to a module, such as News or AMS.

I think, you miss a point. Question (in "cleaned" form) was not "how to do it", but "Why Mambo from a box (with additinal component) can do it, and why nobody in XOOPS-world think about impementing this 'modern-fashion' thing"
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

LazyBadger

Quote:

FusionKid wrote:
Not sure about News / Article, but I use AMS and it is possible to add images to news items to get the same look/feel of the sites that you have referenced without the use of any sort of hacks.

You made (partially common) mistake...
Images inside News|AMS articles are part of contents and can't be used separately in template.
Single module, which have article's image as object is SmartSection, but even SS must ne slightly modified in oder to use article's image inside module's blocks
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

wtravel

Indeed it would not be hard to program a hack. Probably if you would contact the module developer(s) of any of the modules you had in mind, and would ask if this feature could be implemented (optional or not) probably it would not be a hard job for them.

My suggestion would be to contact them first.

Login

Who's Online

224 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 224

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits