turnerrw
VPS Hosting Recommendation Needed
  • 2004/10/8 1:01

• turnerrw

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/1

Hi Folks,

I have a news site that is run on XOOPS 2.x that is reaching the limit of my shared hosting provider.

I will need to move to a Virtual Private Server provider by the end of the year. My content size is less than 500Mb but I'm using >1Gb per day of bandwidth which is my biggest need. I'm getting 5,000 unique visitors per day with 40k to 50k page views per day.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a hosting provider? There seem to be many options out there and it's hard to tell who's any good. I'm hoping to find a good one straight away and not learn through misery.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Cheers,
-Robert

upsadaz
Re: VPS Hosting Recommendation Needed
  • 2005/11/30 15:55

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/26

Hi everyone.

I also need a recommendation. Has any one heard of midPhase.com? It seems they have an excellent product and price. Has any one had experiences with this hosting company.

I'd like a virtual private server hosting with at least 20G of disk space and Cpanel. It is a must to have shell access and that it be Linux.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
~*~*~*~*~
The fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose.

Hada Bejar

seventhseal

We don't use cPanel, we are a PLESK shop. However, midphase may be good - but with any provider that offers "unmetered" anything, you better read the use agreements close. Especially if the cost is cheap. You usually get what you pay for. How and what is measured on the "unmetered" service is important to you. I also noticed that they have CPU capping. Not a bad idea, but that may send up warnings if you get stuck on a highly populated shared server. I had a friend who was hosing with a well known company out of Florida. His site had very little traffic, but was bandwidth choked all of the time. It's because the server had over 50 sites on it, each needing at least 4% CPU. 4*50=200%!

Just my opinion...

You are both asking for Virtual Private Servers - which is shared virtual hosting by most companies definitions.

turnerrw - if you are really getting what you say, VPS probably isn't what you need. You probably need dedicated hosting. And there are cheap solutions out there. But going that direction...I wouldn't use cPanel.

upsadaz - 20GB disk? Hmm, eitehr it's a really huge site, or you have a lot of graphics. Also, you want to always look for companies that provide proactive monitoring of your mySQL or Postgres databases engines. These are usually what kill a server on high traffic sites. Not the actual traffic themselves.

Good Luck!
John Horne - a.k.a. - VelocityWebDev, Seventhseal, CreepingDeath
VelocityWebDev Tech BLOG
VelocityWebHost Hosting and Design

turnerrw
  • 2005/11/30 18:59

• turnerrw

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/1

How interesting that this thread took 2 years to get any interest :)

When I posted my query back in 12/2003, I needed to move my site (news portal) from shared hosting to something with more capacity. VPS seemed like the next step.

I moved to a Virtuozzo-based hosting solution at Rackforce.com. They're pretty good, reasonable prices, and only the occasional outage (mostly network-based).

I'm now on my own dedicated dual-processor XEON machine with 2Gb's RAM - monthly cost is $200.00. The control panel is PLESK (which takes some getting used to after growing up with CPANEL), but I have SSH and root access, so I can do whatever I need to do.

Bandwidth is unmetered at Rackforce, which has worked out pretty well. My constraint so far has not been bandwidth but CPU. Getting my own dedicated box + php acceleration + implementing caching is what helped improve my site's performance.

Be glad to answer any questions about this setup for those that are interested.

Cheers,
-Robert

jdseymour

I use Tektonic VPS servers. UM2 plan is a 20GB space unmanaged plan, at 28 dollars per month. Cpanel is 7 dollars per month extra and you need to install it yourself. Tektonic provides the cPanel download and license. I have been very pleased with them so far. I am using CentOS for the OS and it seems to run great. You can see all their plans at this link:

http://www.tektonic.net/vds.php?op=budget_plans

PS. They do have fully managed plans for slightly more per month.

seventhseal

That's exactly one of the setups we offer - $200/month is a good street price! Glad to see you did go with PLESK - it's definately cream-of-the-crop. It's got a few limitations with things like alias email and sub-domain setup. Not as straight forward as cPanel (low end) and Ensim (Mid range), but it's not a pig either!

As far as other companies go, it's all about service...if someone nickels you for cPanel - that's a bit extreme, but if your happy with the service - who cares?!
John Horne - a.k.a. - VelocityWebDev, Seventhseal, CreepingDeath
VelocityWebDev Tech BLOG
VelocityWebHost Hosting and Design

upsadaz
  • 2005/12/9 16:52

• upsadaz

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/2/26

Thanks to all for this very excellent information.

In addition to the information here I am also looking at spry.com VPS. Has any one used spry?

Thanks again for your great, helpful support!
~*~*~*~*~
The fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose.

Hada Bejar

Login

Who's Online

246 user(s) are online (171 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 246

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits