Gollum
Looking for a good forum
  • 2005/11/9 12:25

• Gollum

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/23

Hey,

I'm thinking of having a forum on my XOOPS 2.2.3 and would like to know which one of all those there's available is best. If you don't mind, also why it's the best.

It would be great if it have hacks like the phpBB forum where you can buy stuff for coins you've earned by posting.
I don't believe there's a forum like that for XOOPS but it isn't important.

It has to be easy to use, and have a mod group who can delete posts and move them.

Thank you on forehand,
Gollum

carnuke
Re: Looking for a good forum
  • 2005/11/9 13:32

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

CBB final is a good choice and probably your only choice at the moment.
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

dickinsd
  • 2005/11/9 14:13

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/11/14

Only Choice?

Is Newbb to be discontinued?

I have always wondered why XOOPS has not had an option to integrate phpBB into your site.

I never understand why people want to 're-invent' the wheel.

Granted it is good to have different versions of forum software out-there, that way it gives us choice, and of course, who's to say the phpBB or IPB way of doing things is right?

BUT why have people working on their own Forum when there is a really great Open Source forum out there in the form of phpBB?

I like Newbb it does its job very well, but I would prefer to have a XOOPS site with an integrated phpBB forum, that way I could look at using some of those great mods and hacks for phpBB on my site.

But I suppose this is not the thread to raise a question in, so back to my question; why is CBB the only choice at the moment?

Dave

EDIT: Just to clarify I know you can get something called xIPB and I think there is an xPBB or something like that as well, but they require core hacks if I remember correctly, which means you need to rely on their developers staying on top of things to keep up with the XOOPS updates etc.

Gollum
  • 2005/11/9 14:31

• Gollum

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/23

Thank you carnuke, I'll try CBB final out.

I agree with Dave. I used phpBB and loved it but want one my Xoop users can use. And it's also important for me it's in my XOOPS design. I know I'll miss the hacks and mods for phpBB.

carnuke
  • 2005/11/9 16:50

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I was replying to the question about XOOPS 2.2.3. Sure there are other alternatives for use with 2.0.13 etc 2.2.x is still awaiting compatibility tests with some modules and you need to check out specific ones.

If you want advice about integration for other third party forums I suggest you contact BBPIXEL.com and look out for IPB and phpBB forums he's integrated. Again ... cant say about 2.2.x
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

davidl2
  • 2005/11/9 17:29

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

dickinsd wrote:
Only Choice?

Is Newbb to be discontinued?.

CBB is programmed by one of the main developers of Newbb2 - effectively it is a continuation of the original Newbb1/2.

dickinsd
  • 2005/11/9 18:09

• dickinsd

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/11/14

Ok.

@Carnuke.
ok, I didn't realise newbb hadn't been tested with XOOPS 2.2.x

Although I guess I should have clicked on as the XOOPS module packs for 2.2.x only include cbb right?

@ davidl2
Why the name change then?

Is there going to be anymore work on the newbb module?

Kazumi Ono (onokazu) was one of the original XOOPS guys (right?) he moved on and I think he is now working with XOOPS Cube (??)

But XOOPS is continuing, will this be the same for newbb or are future developments planned for cbb only?

Dave

PS: Just want to know, as I haven't really seen any reason to move to cbb yet, but if newbb is a dead project, then I guess I should make the change sooner rather than later.

Login

Who's Online

106 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 106

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits