Grover
Editing & Cloning Blocks
  • 2005/11/5 23:05

• Grover

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/13

How easy is it to edit a block? Can I just download the block template, make changes, upload and overwrite the existing template? Then refresh the site? Or do I have to update the module? Is that all there is to it?

Also how easy is it to clone a block? Download, rename upload, refresh/update? Would that give me two of the same block?
www.whisky-jack.com
www.neko.ca
www.hima-ari.com

gestroud
Re: Editing & Cloning Blocks
  • 2005/11/6 1:53

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Updating the module doesn't always seem to work.

1. You have to make sure that "Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory?" is set to Yes in your admin section's General Preferences.

2. What usually works every time is temporarily setting your site to the Default theme (I usually do this through the Themes Block) and refreshing the page.

Goober
  • 2005/11/6 2:00

• Goober

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/3/30

I believe you'd have to make sure it also reflected in the xoops_version.php of that module. That's what i do when i want to clone/make custom blocks and have smarty and all the goodies that are lacking in the normal custom blocks.

I'm prolly doing it the hard way too.
Dispelling the Mystical belief of Web Standards and tableless CSS.
Nobody gets excited about the tools used to build a house, people get excited about how the house looks and performs

CCV_Pinto
  • 2005/11/6 3:28

• CCV_Pinto

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/6

oh... thats its exaclty what i want

cause i want to show the Recent News Block at the center (in home page) and at the left menu in the others modules

can someone tell me exactly what i have to do?

thx

[]´s

gestroud
  • 2005/11/6 3:51

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

You shouldn't have to clone anything to do that. I do it with all of my sites without a problem.

If you're using XOOPS 2.2.x just go into blocks admin and put a recent news block in the center and another in whatever column you want.

Example:http://weholdthesetruths.org

If you're using XOOPS 2.0.x, then he top news module can be used to display recent news. Just go into your blocks administration and set it to display the headlines by date:

Example:http://bpdplanet.com

No editing, no cloning for either of them.

CCV_Pinto
  • 2005/11/6 4:25

• CCV_Pinto

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/6

yeah... you are right... i didnt know that the "top news" could be used like the recent news, but there is a problem:

i already use the top news like the top news.. lol
doing what u said i lost my top news.. but its better to have the recent news at too diferent places than have a top news...

but, if i dnt want to lost the top news, then, how can i make it?

Grover
  • 2005/11/6 4:56

• Grover

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/13

I didn't really understand the part about xoops_version.php, Goober.

Other than that, how badly can one screw up a site by incorrectly cloning a block. I want to know maximum damage before I try this out as I know I'll probably reach the max as likely as not. What I want to do is clone a couple blocks from Edito. Any ideas how bad it can get?
www.whisky-jack.com
www.neko.ca
www.hima-ari.com

Login

Who's Online

134 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 134

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits