Rickb
Need a Good CMS for Xoops any advice?
  • 2005/10/3 23:16

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/24

I would appreciate very much if someone can point me to a CMS for XOOPS. Here is the requirements:

1 Able to utilize existing XOOPS groups

2 Includes a text editor that will work with both IE and Firefox

3 Can upload media files like SWF

4 Provides paid technical support

Again, this would be of great help to our project building if we could stay within the framework of XOOPS for development.

Kind regards,

Rick

Jharis
Re: Need a Good CMS for Xoops any advice?
  • 2005/10/4 0:07

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Rick,

Xoops is a CMS. Are you asking which modules you should use for writing, editing and posting articles and media?

You could use the latest news module by Herve or Smartsection from Smartfactory. Both are extensive and use permissioning. Also both are actively being developed. Paid support is available for both I do believe.

Smartmedia and Debaser are two popular media players.

Could you post a little more detail on what you are trying to do?

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

JMorris
  • 2005/10/4 0:08

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Are you requesting a custom CMS module or are you asking if one already exists?

The three best CMS modules I know of are News 1.4, AMS 2.41, and WF-Sections 2.01. All three offer free support. However, if you contact the authors, you *may* be able to arrange for commercial support.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Rickb
  • 2005/10/4 1:00

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

Oops, I though XOOPS is the framework and not the actual CMS.

Thank you for your attention on this matter,

Rick

Rickb
  • 2005/10/4 1:28

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

We are creating online exhbits for the distant learning show, and want to allow each exhbitor to be able to post content. The CMS of choice would need to work with groups created with XOOPS.

The reason I am placing importance on a CMS is because (besides the XOOPS framework) is the most important of modules. It would allow media files to be embedded. I understand that News_fileup does that now and I am using it. But the new version of WS or News 1.4 will allow the embedding of media objects.

We are launching this show in November and need to get on with it. I feel that I am responsible for leading our group into XOOPS and hope this will work for us.

In spite of the large usergroup of XOOPS users, there seems to be little good or available contractors. They either do not speak English, are ready to work but then are "Missing in Action" or are not available to work. I am not talking about "For Free" I am talking about paid contract work.

So staying relevant to the topic, I will try to see if the author of the CMS are available to customize or give support.

Functions needed

A - A good performing text editor
B - Able to create tables
C - Drop or embed media objects like SWF and MOV files
D - Create rights for each user (up to 50 users) I would need to create then 50 groups?
E - Be able to create and place news pages at any specific page not just in the news page. This would be the same as having a "my page"
F - Create different templates for each "my page."

Ok - you've got it now

Rick

Jharis
  • 2005/10/4 4:43

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Rick,
I think XOOPS will work just fine. The only problem I can detect would be embedding mp3/mpeg directly into news. However Using news and smartmedia together might get you what your looking for.

a. Koivo, or Tinyeditor.
b. Again the editors should allow this.... I think?
c. Smartmedia allows for uploads based on categories.
d. Handling users and groups is pretty easy to do in Xoops.
e. XOOPS already allows you to do this. XOOPS has 5 blocks for each page plus a weight system. Use the news module and assign location.
f. You could edit the templates of each module, edit css in the style sheet for each block (not sure if I said that right). Not sure about a different MYPAGE unless... wordpress module for XOOPS would allow this.

Someone else with more knowledge than me can correct or fill you in better than I can. Anyway I hope we are helping you.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

phppp
  • 2005/10/6 15:25

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

Rickb wrote:

In spite of the large usergroup of XOOPS users, there seems to be little good or available contractors. They either do not speak English, are ready to work but then are "Missing in Action" or are not available to work. I am not talking about "For Free" I am talking about paid contract work.

Rick

I was trying to be a good contractor but could not reach your requirement and was rejected, unfortunately.

However, I am still offering paid technical support for my modules.

Login

Who's Online

248 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 248

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits