Mithrandir
Re: SMF bridge - ETA 1 Month

Quote:
I've suddenly seen a change in Mith which is always welcome and shows his wisdom. Kudos and my hat's off to you Mith... otherwise you're dedicating too much time to make posts about "how you're not going to waste your time" and prefer to waste your time by telling us all that lol.

Thanks.
I've always said that I can be swayed by good arguments - I just haven't had many chances to show it as I generally don't get those good arguments.

And when I've sat for hours trying to work on a problem, I think I can afford spending 5 minutes telling you about it. Also due to the fact that people seem to expect me to waste my time on investigating everything.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

pegasus00321
Re: SMF bridge

Wow, this sounds great, a SMF Bridge.

I'd love to see something that is better than NewBB or CBB (with all due respect).
This sounds like something that will really help XOOPS.
Pegasus00321

I would appricate it if you click this link
TuFat.com PHP Scripts and etc

pegasus00321

Just wondering, it this in the works? or just an idea?
Pegasus00321

daragor
  • 2005/9/12 22:28

• daragor

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/8 7

yes please i need this. any news?

finnerss
  • 2005/10/3 6:05

• finnerss

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/1/8 2

Seems to me that more people are looking forward to using SMF than xoops. Being a XOOPS loyal user it is sad to see that so many people are interested in SMF and that Modders and all are too busy making releases to a still unstable 2.2.2 release.

I wonder if some of us should gather in SMF to ask them instead to help us make a XOOPS bridge, their community in such little time has surpassed the overall users that XOOPS seems to have. Are we looking at the first Forum to become a full Portal system? Mambo seems to be working towards some synergy with them, it is a shame that XOOPS is not taking an active step to it.

the calendar feature in the last SMF release is by far better than any calendar mod that I have seen for xoops. :( I would love to see XOOPS to wake up and try to make something users are crying for instead of something that they insist will be good. I, for one, am not looking forward to their 2.2.2 release, have tried it and it seems like a Mambo wanna-be, it's lost the XOOPS essence totally.

any news on SMF and XOOPS would be appreciated.

Oldiesmann
  • 2005/10/3 22:29

• Oldiesmann

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/27

The only problem Finner is that nobody at SMF (that I'm aware of) knows enough about XOOPS to develop such a bridge. I am wondering what happened now. I thought it was a sure thing after I mentioned all the great built-in integration stuff in 1.1, but haven't heard anything about the project since then...

JMorris
  • 2005/10/3 23:58

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

@Finners,

Please read the following article by skalpa...

Link: The light at the end...

Whether you realize it or not, the Core Developers, the Beta Testing Team, the Quality Assurance Team and a whole slew of people have been very hard at work trying to get a stable 2.2.x release out. Given that every person who is working on this does so for free, in their spare time, you cannot expect it to be out yesterday.

Also, I am quite puzzled by your "Mambo wanna-be" comment. I've used Mambo extensively, and MyWebResource is running on the 2.2.x branch of XOOPS, plus I'm a Beta Tester. XOOPS 2.2.x and Mambo have very little in common.

If an SMF port is so important to you, you could pay a module developer to make a bridge for you. It is not the responsibility of the XOOPS Core Team to make such things. So your comment...

Quote:
...it is sad to see that so many people are interested in SMF and that Modders and all are too busy making releases to a still unstable 2.2.2 release.

...has absolutely no basis.

I hope that you will understand that I'm not trying to be critical of you. I am just trying to enlighten you to facts that you may not have been aware of.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

m0nty
  • 2005/10/4 0:53

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

koudanshi has nearly finished an SMF bridge.. it will be released soon.

see HERE

it would help if people didn't go round asking practically everyone to do this, because nobody knows who is doing what & koudanshi did actually say a month or 2 ago if not more that he is working on it.

pegasus00321

JMorris, I think part of what your saying is right, but the other part just simple isnt.

I seriously think that if someone can port a decent forum (phpBB, SMF, punBB, myBB) to XOOPS, it will really help boost XOOPS up a notch. Why? Simply to say that XOOPS doesnt have any forum software thats well "industry standard."

NewBB 2 is a very big improvement over Newbb 1, but its to complex and isnt as well known and easy to use as phpBB or SMF. CBB tries to fix some of these problems and it does, but its just not good enough.

So yes, its not necessarily the job the core dev to port a forum over, but it would be nice if it was done by people familiar with the XOOPS Core so it can be done correctly.
Pegasus00321

JMorris
  • 2005/10/4 10:16

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:
So yes, its not necessarily the job the core dev to port a forum over, but it would be nice if it was done by people familiar with the XOOPS Core so it can be done correctly.

I agree, and that's why the XOOPS API documented. The whole point behind trying to make XOOPS more modular is so that the Core Team can focus on building a better Core, while modules developers focus building better modules.

I was unaware that koudanshi was working on a SMF bridge. koudanshi is quite skilled and I'm sure his bridge will be just what you are looking for.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Login

Who's Online

136 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 136

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits