silverpug
newby, help with main menu
  • 2005/9/29 7:51

• silverpug

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/8 7

hello there.. i am not new at using xoops, but I am still inexperienced since i haven't been playing around with it enough to learn how to put themes and new version of it ... anyway.. is there a way to upgrade without loosing everything in my database?

also (and this is what i am really interested in knowing) is there a way for me to add a category on the main menu on the left with my title on it... not to be a module, but just to be a link to lead to a custom block that i will make...for example to have a link an the main menu that said "FOR SALE"

Thanks guys, any help will be much appreciated...

netsroht
Re: newby, help with main menu
  • 2005/9/29 7:56

• netsroht

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/2/11

First question:
Use the existing update-packages to update your site. Anyway backup your database first! Errors could always occure

Second question:
Why don't you try MultiMenu. I think this is exactly what you're looking for.
Or look here:https://xoops.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=261
Greets, netsroht

Sorry for my bad english. I'm german.

silverpug
  • 2005/9/29 9:40

• silverpug

• Just popping in

hey there.. i will try this .. i am already thinking of how to go about it.. only problem for me now, is that my frontpage extension to the server i have the website on, isn't working for some reason... so i don't think i can edit the file system_block_mainmenu.html file through the internet.. i have to go directly on the file on the server and make the modification (i think), so i am waiting to see what happens now with my frontpage extension rights on the server to be able to settle that issue.. thanks anyways

silverpug
  • 2005/10/4 10:34

• silverpug

• Just popping in

please help me.. i have a big big problem... the web links and downloads section isn't displayed properly... i tried to update but it sais that it is
"unable to write to main menu"

and the problem is not fixed. any ideas anyone?

JMorris
  • 2005/10/4 10:57

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

First things first, don't use Frontpage to edit a XOOPS site. Certain versions Frontpage are notorious for inserting proprietary Microsoft code into files. This could cause a problem with a XOOPS site. Your best bet is to manually edit the files using a text editor or a WYSIWYG editor that doesn't insert proprietary code, like TSW WebCoder.

Secondly, we need a little more information before we can help you. Please provide as much of the following information as possible...

XOOPS Version:
PHP Version:
MySQL Version:
PHP Debug Messages:
MySQL Debug Messages:
Smarty Debug Messages:

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

silverpug
  • 2005/10/4 12:59

• silverpug

• Just popping in

james, thanks for answering and sorry for double posting.

I am not using frontpage to edit the /modules/system/templates/blocks/system_block_mainmenu.html file. I edited it with notepad. Its just that i don't have ftp access on the server that my hosting is on. I only have frontpage extension access.So u see i can only edit, by opening the server by frontpage, and then editing the file by notepad.

regarding my question, is there any way to fix the problem now that its there? because the weblinks and downloads section doesn't work...

you can see for yourself by going to www.pug-club.com
and entering the website with username:testuser and password:testuser and see that neither the weblinks nor the downloads work

and yes i have tried to update it but it sais that it can't open the mainmenu file

silverpug
  • 2005/10/4 13:17

• silverpug

• Just popping in

now since my downloads section is almost empty, i have unistalled it and installed it again.. now it doesn't even show it on the main menu although its activated! don't know what is going on.. some help please

can someone copy paste the system_block_mainmenu.html file.

please so i can put it there hopefully it will work...thanks

silverpug
  • 2005/10/4 20:08

• silverpug

• Just popping in

can anyone help me plz? i am stuck... don't know what i going on...

davidl2
  • 2005/10/4 20:45

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

The main menu is very corrupted - although the forum appears to work fine when I used:http://www.pug-club.com/portal/modules/newbb/

The file you are looking for will be in the download of XOOPS you originally installed - i'm not sure which version you are using, so it would be best to replace with the original one.

I can't see how the menu links are corrupted however... as its quite a strange url indeed.

Login

Who's Online

180 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 180

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits