Scutter
Shoehorning a Personal Blog
  • 2005/9/26 19:27

• Scutter

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/26

After trying Drupal, Typo3, and Mambo, I found XOOPS to be the most versatile. I'm using it for a personal site, and wanted a bit more than a blog, so XOOPS seems (hopefully) to fit.

Here's my issue:
I want my front page content to feature my personal blog. I've tried Weblog, Simple Blog and Popnup blog. As far as I've been able to tell, I can feature the blog on the front page, but can't figure out how to only show my last 5 to 10 entries in their entirety, with no headers or category lists, or links to "view other blogs", etc. I don't want just a link to my blog entry with only the title.. I want the actual blog featured.

All of these blogs seem to be geared toward multiple blogs and users. My site will have one blog and one user... me!

Thanks in advance!

tdickson
Re: Shoehorning a Personal Blog
  • 2005/9/26 19:41

• tdickson

• Just popping in

what module and or service are you using to write your blogs...
if you have an RSS or ATOM feed you can use XHLD which is a news module to display as many headers as you want.
Also, if you already have a blog published somewhere and you just want to grab the text you can use the #include command in one of the following types:

Server Side Includes (SSI):
<!--#include virtual="books.html"-->

PHP:
<?php include ('books.html'); ?>

Active Server Pages (ASP):
<!--#include virtual="books.html"-->

Cold Fusion (CF):
<cfinclude template="books.html">

it will grab the text from whatever file you put in there.

Scutter
  • 2005/10/3 18:03

• Scutter

• Just popping in

I don't currently have a blog, so will be starting one from scratch. I've tried the modules for Weblog, Simple Blog and Popnup blog from Xoops.org.

Like I said, I can pull the "headers" onto the front page, but it requires the user to click something to read the actual entry. I don't want the user to have to click anything to read my blog.. I want the last 10 or so entries to be on the front page by default.

Any ideas?

And thanks for the include syntax... I've used it on .asp sites, but this will be useful to a PHP newbie.

Jharis
  • 2005/10/3 18:22

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Scutter,

You might also check out Wordpress here.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

Login

Who's Online

259 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 259

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits