ivandr
dynamically expanding/colapsing blocks?
  • 2005/9/26 3:33

• ivandr

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/2 7

i want to be able to expand and colapse all the blocks on both the left and right hand side of the page but dont really know where to start.

My overall intentions are to have Search, Who's Online, New Members etc blocks minimised by default (where only the banner at the top of the module is visible) but be able to provide the option for users to view these options.

I dont mind if i have to edit the core files, so long as i can get some guidance on how to do it.

But dont get me wrong, i hope that a theme can do it because i believe that this type of feature should be included in every theme as it makes it just that much nicer.

I think i will have to edit it manually becuase it wont know what i set to show/hide on load unless:
a: i create a new column in the database where the block info is displayed - not ideal as lack of experience
b: use themes to display all the modules statically and when i add a new module, have to add it manually - defeats the purpose of using XOOPS as it takes away the self maintenance part away from it.

Any help appreciated. If the above texts are not understandable, please let me know and ill reword it :)

Thanks in advance,
Ivan

LazyBadger
Re: dynamically expanding/colapsing blocks?

Quote:

i want to be able to expand and colapse all the blocks on both the left and right hand side of the page but dont really know where to start.
Ivan

If you said about collapsing|restoring the whole side columns, not individual blocks only in any location, you can see at best implementation of this technique in theme is_urbanize from Webloom site ("best" - becuse it uses cookies for storing column state, thus - doesn't lost state on refresh-page change)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

ivandr
  • 2005/9/26 4:59

• ivandr

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/2 7

Quote:

LazyBadger wrote:
If you said about collapsing|restoring the whole side columns, not individual blocks only in any location, you can see at best implementation of this technique in theme is_urbanize from Webloom site ("best" - becuse it uses cookies for storing column state, thus - doesn't lost state on refresh-page change)

Hi,
Thank you for the quick reply.
Unfortunantly i am after the individaul blocks. I must admit i like the idea of it remembering the status of what it is set at with cookies.

Using this approach, (providing it can be done to the individual blocks), am i able to preset which ones are automatically hidden or would that not be possible because its dynamically generated depending on what modules are installed?

What would be nice is if i can by set which modules i would like minimised, be be as a standard and will stay like that unless a setting in the cockie is set, and then ofcourse it would take the predecense of the cookie setting. Also any new modules that are not predefined in the code are automatically visible.

Regards,
Ivan

*edited gramatical errors.

marook
  • 2005/9/26 6:15

• marook

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/9 1

Individual blocks should not be a problem. It's just a matter of what DIV you change via CSS.

I guess CBB (former NewBB) does this on each forum section, so you should be able to get some code there as well.
Marook,

Want to go on a Safari with me?
(Yes, it is me in that avatar.. )

Login

Who's Online

119 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 119

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits