dean_collins
polls - who voted for what

Is there a way with polls to see who voted for what?

Cheers,
Dean
My Xoops site
www.aussienymeetup.net

gestroud
Re: polls - who voted for what
  • 2005/9/25 15:34

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Not in a free democracy!

You may be able to view the info in your phpamin, but I've never tried it. XOOPS may have another polls module with the feature, though.

dean_collins

looks like ip address only not user name in the database
My Xoops site
www.aussienymeetup.net

tedsmith
  • 2005/9/25 18:57

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

A new Polls module called XPoll is being developed by Rowdie over at dev.xoops.org, but I think it's for XOOPS 2.2 > not the 2.0 series. I have placed a suggestion of my own for the new Polls module there (click here) for it's development, and I think yours could be considered too, I'm sure. Why not submit it and see if he can do it?

Peekay
  • 2005/9/25 20:22

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I wouldn't vote in a poll if I knew my vote could be identified. As gestraud says, it is totally undemocratic. I think such a module should carry a warning if it is released for Xoops.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

dean_collins

dude take a chill pill, it's a vote for which night of the week people want to catch up for dinner at a restaurant...it's not the freaking election for the president of the world you know.

Cheers,
Dean
p.s. as ip address is logged you better stop using XOOPS polls as it's probably already possible for them to work out who you are.
My Xoops site
www.aussienymeetup.net

gestroud
  • 2005/9/26 4:38

• gestroud

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/12/22

Quote:

dean_collins wrote:
dude take a chill pill.

LOL LOL Dean, I think you've been in NY too long

Peekay
  • 2005/9/26 8:19

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

dean_collins wrote:
dude take a chill pill, it's a vote for which night of the week people want to catch up for dinner at a restaurant...

O.K. I see how that might be useful. Apologies for my over reaction.

My chill pill (medium-rare) has been ordered.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

tedsmith
  • 2005/9/26 10:40

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

To act as devils advocate here, I'm going to agree with both sides and kind of go back on what I said earlier.

While it is true that in the example of dean_collins polls, the knowing of who voted for what is not a big issue, we have to remember that XOOPS is used on many large sites (some government, corportae, and large non-profit organisations) where it would become a real concern if it was known that peoples' votes could be identified. So I'm going to go back on what I said earlier and agree that such an identification should not be built into a polls module.

Re the IP address identification...true to some degree but tricky with the common use of proxy servers, multiple hosted servers where the server is one IP address but hosting hundreds of sites on a sub-net, etc. These days, it is quite hard to just identify exactly who someone is from the IP.

Ted

Login

Who's Online

166 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 166

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits