toddherrold
Re: donations not logging ipn transactions

it hadn't occurred to me that it was a compatability issue with XOOPS versions and the module. But, as I think about it, the problems with both modules probably started at the time I upgraded XOOPS version.

adrock
  • 2005/6/13 5:09

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

ok...here's the latest in my diggings...

Monty's version works.
The version I posted works.
The difference between the two is in table stucture...with the Monty posted version being a bit 'better'...either way, not an issue.

I will say that for some reason when uninstalling my first one, and re-installing the 'newer' one, that I had to manually remove a couple of entries from the database.

Next...your paypal account needs to be 'Verified' for this to work now... waaaay back in the beginning it didn't. I've spoken to Paypal about it, and that is their response.
(I also noticed that I did not have to have the IPN reporting turned on in my paypal account for it to work, but have turned it on anyway, just to be compliant with the modules instructions)

Anyway... at this point I have the module working, and reporting... but ONLY with verified accounts at PayPal.

Hope this helps!

barryc
  • 2005/6/18 2:20

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

Well, my frustrations with this module continue, and boy am I frustrated. I have used both versions of 1.9 (the one pointed to by Monty and the one posted by Adroc. Both behave the same for me in the sense that checking IPN via the link in the module admin gives me a clean bill of health. No errors. However, when I make a donation, I am taken to the Paypal page and I confirm the donation. It is correctly credited to my account. However, I am not returned to the page designated in the module admin, but rather back to my home page. Furthermore, the donation isn't logged. Apparently the Paypal IPN is not coming back to my server.

I am using a valid POP account as my Paypal master email address. I get a notification there of the donation. I also get a notification at the donor email address. The donor email is a verified account on Paypal. The URL set up on the Paypal site for IPN is correct. Paypal is simply not talking to my server.

Has anyone any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot this? It's driving me nuts! Could this be a server issue? My site is on a shared (virtual) server, but that is such a common thing that I am reluctant to believe it's a problem, unless there are issues of exactly how the server is set up.

Barry

jdseymour

I would suggest using your sites e-mail address for the default IPN address. This is what I did and it works all the time.

barryc
  • 2005/6/18 3:23

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:
I would suggest using your sites e-mail address for the default IPN address. This is what I did and it works all the time.

Do you mean the XOOPS admin email address? If so, that is what I use, webmaster@aka.org. That is set as my site admin address in XOOPS prefs and as the master email address at Paypal. It is a valid POP account set up on my server. Or am I not understanding what you mean?

Barry

jdseymour

In otherwords an e-mail address that uses your sites webmail interface. With a valid account entered in the Web site control panel. I do not use my webmaster account e-mail, but a valid e-mail address on my server.

Hope I am making some sense. Getting late.

barryc
  • 2005/6/18 4:33

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:
In otherwords an e-mail address that uses your sites webmail interface. With a valid account entered in the Web site control panel. I do not use my webmaster account e-mail, but a valid e-mail address on my server.

Hope I am making some sense. Getting late.

Not to me, but that is probably me. I need the "Setup for Dummies" version. I do agree that, reading the docs for xdonations, what is happening is what is described if the email address is not set up correctly.

webmaster@aka.org is my primary email address on Paypal and shows up at the top of my Paypal account. That is the address that the xdonations modules says you should use. It is set up on my server as a POP account. I receive the mail here on my home computer using an account set up in my mail client.

I also tried setting up a new POP email account, services@aka.org, and set that as my primary mail account on Paypal. It showed, as expected, at the top of the page on my account. I set that as the email address in xdonations, but still have exactly the same results. The donation is recorded on Paypal but not logged on the server.

I would appreciate it if you could try to help me understand what you are getting at re email setup, but take your time. Another day of frustration won't hurt me. Perhaps examples of how you have it set up would help.

Barry

barryc
  • 2005/6/19 2:40

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

OK. Here's the deal from one frustrated user. The problems I have been seeing are not with the xdonations 1.9 module, or with the server. However, there is a problem with my live installation of XOOPS 2.0.10. I have a test installation of XOOPS in a subfolder on my server and finally decided to try the module there, with a real donation. It works! Donations are correctly logged and show up in Recent Donors, etc.

Now the issue is to figure out how to fix the problem with my live site. Originally the site was in a subfolder providing some features of a site that was otherwise static. I eventually wanted the whole site to be XOOPS driven, so I moved all the files and folders in that subfolder to the server root. I edited mainfile.php to reflect the new path. Everything seemed to work. However, I have seen one other instance in which the behavior between the live server and the test installation differs. Specifically that was that a field in the membership module would not accept a value with the field name that was originally assigned to it. The test site did not have that problem. We fixed that by changing the name of the field. Thus, there is something different between the two installations of Xoops.

My concern is that I overlooked something when moving the site files. Any suggestions as to what would be welcome. I will post a question about that on a more appropriate forum, as well.

Thanks for the help that you all have offered.

Barry

adrock
  • 2005/6/19 6:42

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

I thought that was my problem at first too...
the site that I can't get it working with is on a shared server...has a couple of domains and the mainfile has been changed many times to accomodate the fickle customer that keeps changing his mind about what domain name he wants to use etc.

however...I was able to prove that the install of xoops, the module, and their configurations are not the problem, because I entered my personal paypal e-mail into the customers module, submitted a donation, and it went through and logged just fine... as soon as I changed the e-mail address back to the customers e-mail, it stops logging.

My personal e-mail with my paypal account have nothing in common with anything at the site in question....and the customers e-mail is a standard pop e-mail provided with his ISP (soandso@sbcglobal.net)

I'm still of the opinion that it is a PayPal issue of some sort.

Have you tried entering anyone else's paypal account e-mail into your block's config options to see if it works?

Tried uninstalling the module and all files and database entries from the site that isn't working and copying the files and database entries from the site that works to it?

I've done all of those things... and the bottom line is that this customers PayPal account just won't play

Anyone have any luck finding a donation module that works with another service besides PayPal?

intel352
  • 2005/9/6 17:21

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

okay fellas (long time absence, considering a return...), i see you're having issues?

I dug up a working copy of 1.9 Beta 1b (btw, I'm the module author) from a working url, installed it on a XOOPS 2.2.3 test site, and after some tweaking of the settings, it's working great with Paypal Sandbox (paypal area to test IPN and whatnot without using real money). So, I can verify the module still works, even with XOOPS 2.2.3

There's a few issues though:
1. make sure your mainfile.php shows the COMPLETE url for your website (I noticed the installer just picked up the /xoops22 testsite directory of the url, without the actual domain), which caused errors in the donations module, preventing Paypal from finding your site

2. make sure you are using the PRIMARY email account for your paypal id. if not, the paypal transaction will not be recorded by the donation module (I need to check paypal dev docs to see if this has changed yet)

3. make sure your account is Verified with Paypal

Those are the 3 biggest solutions I can think of at the moment. If you want to use the paypal sandbox for testing, you must register athttps://developer.paypal.com/, create a Business acct with a fake email address and a Personal acct with a fake email address. Enter the Business email into xDonations, change the Paypal IPN url to the Sandbox url (it's a dropdown option in the Configuration), save.

Make a donation using your fake personal acct, you should see the IPN transaction completely process.

Post if you have issues/questions

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits