Grover
Adding a right column to a theme
  • 2005/9/4 17:50

• Grover

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/13

I'm using a fixed width theme that has had the right column removed. I'm just wondering how simple would it be to add that column back in. Of course it depends on the theme and lots of other stuff but generally speaking how onerous a task is it likely to be? I'm a little bit afraid of tinkering at that level lest I really foul something up. Is there some standard boilerplate code that can be dropped in to theme.html to make the right column appear magically? I've already read through the faqs but I don't really have a sense of how monumental an undertaking this could be. Should I just leave well enough alone?

This is the site here: Hima Ari Online Portal
www.whisky-jack.com
www.neko.ca
www.hima-ari.com

terrion
Re: Adding a right column to a theme
  • 2005/9/4 18:15

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/19

Has the right column actually been removed? Or is it that you simply don't have any "visible" blocks in the right column?
Terrion
Purchase, renew, or transfer your domain name to Ultranet Domains and get a FREE 10GB hosting account. Virtual Dedicated Servers around $35/monthly, no contract. FREE 24/7 telephone ...

adrock
  • 2005/9/4 20:22

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

The right column is a nested table set inside the main theme...just like the left column.

Look at the code used for the left column, and determine if it is calling other html files or not.

Copy the code and use the default theme or the phpkaox theme as a visual for how the right column is nested into the main table.

Nest your copied left column code into the correct place of your theme, and be sure to name the variables correctly to 'right' instead of 'left'.

if you PM me your theme.html file I'd be happy to add a right column to it for you.

(15 minutes worth of work....maybe)

Happy Xoopsing!
Affordable Web Hosting - Family - Fun!...and not always in that order!

Grover
  • 2005/9/4 22:05

• Grover

• Just popping in

Thanks for the offer Adrock. You make it sound so easy I'm going to take the plunge myself, sink or swim! No better way to learn than get the old feet wet, eh? If I start to flounder, maybe you could throw me a line. Will keep you posted....
www.whisky-jack.com
www.neko.ca
www.hima-ari.com

adrock
  • 2005/9/4 22:08

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

That's how I did it the first time

(do it once, and it becomes like riding a bike...you'll never forget!)

Have fun doing it! and let us see it when you finish!
Affordable Web Hosting - Family - Fun!...and not always in that order!

Grover
  • 2005/9/6 3:20

• Grover

• Just popping in

I managed to get the right menu added but it appears floating over the grey background rather than within the white main area. I hacked around the style.css but somehow can't get it to appear as I want it to. Aynway, I've given up for the time being. It's not crucial right now though it would be nice to reduce some of the clutter in the left menu. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
www.whisky-jack.com
www.neko.ca
www.hima-ari.com

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits