tim1980
Hosting Xoops site > static IP address
  • 2005/9/3 6:07

• tim1980

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/11/5

Hi everyone, I've just found out that my ISP is going to start offering static IP address's on their DSL services so I assume this means if I got the static IP that I could start hosting my websites on my own computer.

What I want to know is how to go about doing this?

Does anyone know how to best setup a Web Server to host XOOPS sites, and also how to migrate existing sites to it?

Any information or advise you could give is welcomed and many Thanks in advance...

adrock
Re: Hosting Xoops site > static IP address
  • 2005/9/3 6:27

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

Well...you'll need to set up a web server and minimally have MySQL and PHP installed on it...
IIS is a popular web server app...and there are windows and apache flavors

here's a link to a how to set one up site:
http://www.webmasterstop.com/cid_11.html

As for migrating the site....check the FAQ's for specifics, but you just need to dump your database, and copy that over to the new server...and then edit your mainfile.php to reflect the new servers information for root path, and database info.

Hopefully you have good 'upload' speed on your DSL connection, as your site will be slower than molasses in the winter on the standard 128k up rate most DSL providers offer (approximately twice as fast as a 56k modem, spread out amongst ALL of your users)

FYI: Good upload speeds can be purchased, but are costly. I pay close to $60/month on top of the regular monthly fee for guaranteed 512k minimum, and a max of 'up to' 1.5Mbps
Affordable Web Hosting - Family - Fun!...and not always in that order!

Arowana
  • 2005/9/3 6:42

• Arowana

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/8/6 2

I dont know if this holds up but you have to set your permissions all over again and dont forget to set /public_html/cache/adminmenu.php to I believe 644.
Arowana

tim1980
  • 2005/9/3 13:13

• tim1980

• Not too shy to talk

So you think it will be too slow on a 128k upload connection.

Has anyone ever done it before?

I was thinking of running it on Xandros Desktop OS with a standard 512/128k DSL connection.

Is it just because of how XOOPS works with PHP & MySQL that makes it require more bandwidth then a HTML site?

Dave_L
  • 2005/9/3 13:30

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Quote:
Is it just because of how XOOPS works with PHP & MySQL that makes it require more bandwidth then a HTML site?

No.

Bandwidth is determined by the pages that get sent to clients' browsers, regardless of whether the pages are static HTML, or generated by PHP/MySQL.

But if your XOOPS site has a lot of "features", the site may tend to be more complicated than a plain HTML site, which means the pages have more content, and users spend more time going from page to page, which results in more bandwidth usage.

dean_collins

I host my own XOOPS server www.aussienymeetup.net

It's a small site with a max of 40 users and not a lot of traffic. The site just went live this week and is served via a 6mb/384kbs cable modem, but this link is also being shared with me sbs 2003 server (2 users) and an asterisk ip-pbx (if you guys dont know about asterisk you have to check it out www.asterisk.org - it rocks).

I currently have a random ip address (hasn't changed in 12 months at least) but my domains are delivered via a www.no-ip.com redirection service.

Cheers,
Dean
My Xoops site
www.aussienymeetup.net

m0nty
  • 2005/9/3 16:27

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

and don't forget that it will also be sharing the same bandwidth for you.. so when ur browsing the net and downloading stuff, uploading stuff, sending emails etc.. it's also gonna use the same bandwidth, so in effect it's gonna be slow. (and u have to consider how many visitors you're expecting to the site)

personally i think you'd be better using a web host.. surpass hosting offer excellent packages for as little as $5 a month and would far exceed your dsl capabilities and is more cost worthy.

tim1980
  • 2005/9/4 5:07

• tim1980

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks guys, I already have Spry.com as my web host, I was just wondering about setting up my own server so I could learn how to as I think it would be fun.

I've just found out the T&C's of the DSL connection do not allow us to host web servers anyway...

dean_collins

so why are they even bothering to give you a fixed ip address??

besides these days almost every second application is a server (often port 80 too).

it would be a very brave isp to shut down a user for hosting a server these days. as long as you aren't blasting out to hunreds of users what do you care?

cheers,
Dean
My Xoops site
www.aussienymeetup.net

tim1980
  • 2005/9/4 12:51

• tim1980

• Not too shy to talk

I found out that the static IP address is only for Small Business customers too, it's so the customers can use the connections to connect to work VPN's and things like that.

hehe I work for the ISP I've been talking about and I also found out that I could not get a staff discount on a Small Business account.

Login

Who's Online

157 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 157

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits