technigrafa
Administrator assign other member's avatars?

I am working with a client that has a fairly "technology illiterate" user base and they want to be able to put their avatar into their profile for each user, but logged in as a webmaster, and not have to log in as each user individually.

You can edit all of the other user's info in the "edit user" section of the admin section, but avatars are not there.

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks for your help!

adrock
Re: Administrator assign other member's avatars?
  • 2005/8/31 17:11

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

Unfortunately, there is no 'easy' way to do it.

I use the backpack module from bluemoon and dump out the avatar database info, and then dump out the user avatar info, and manually alter the tables to change users avatars.

Needless to say, this is something that is not 'newbie' or 'novice' friendly.

Maybe a future version of XOOPS will actually let the admin account administer EVERYTHING in the site!
Affordable Web Hosting - Family - Fun!...and not always in that order!

technigrafa

Aww, I was hoping that wasn't the case. We would be willing to pay someone to alter the admin edit user page to allow for admins to edit user's avatars.

Any "coders-for-hire" interested out there? If so, email or AIM me.

Thanks!

adrock
  • 2005/8/31 17:44

• adrock

• Quite a regular

you could of course edit the registration submition parameters to auto assign a specific AVATAR to everyone that registers. (obviously when XOOPS creates the user account it leaves that field of the DB entry blank...so simply hard coding the specific AVATAR id from the DB into the submission string could be done.)

I've noticed that once they have an avatar, they figure out how to change it real quick...it's just the initial part of assigning one that seems to boggle the newbie mind.

EDIT/ADDITION

on line 183 of register.php you'll find this line;
Quote:

$newuser->setVar('user_avatar','blank.gif', true);

Change the blank.gif to whatever default avatar file you want. Be sure to put the file in the /uploads directory of your XOOPS root.

and there it is....auto avatar!

Happy Xoopsing!

technigrafa

I'll have to check with the client, but I think they want to go ahead and put in the individual photos of the members. The users are doctors that use the site to collaborate on research projects, so they won't be interested in messing with their photos or playing with XOOPS "because it's cool." They will log in when they HAVE to and post what they have to and get off. They are being required to use the site for grant funding purposes, so they will use it begrudingly, like paying taxes, and won't go the extra mile for anything. So my client wants everything as user friendly and automatic as possible, even if it means paying to hire a programmer to make it do this.

Thank you very much for your help, though.

WarDick
  • 2005/8/31 23:35

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

What module are you using for the collobration?

Some of them have flexible image choices.
Urging XOOPS to be the Best It Can Be.
Richard......

technigrafa

They are using several modules, actually: newbb2, xoopsgallery, xoopsmembers, pd-downloads, and news, to name a few. So we need the member's avatar to show up in all the main areas, like the XOOPS user profiles, newbb and xoopsmembers modules.

Thanks!

WarDick
  • 2005/9/1 1:52

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

A webmaster could assign the avatars through phpMyAdmin.
Urging XOOPS to be the Best It Can Be.
Richard......

adrock
  • 2005/9/2 17:42

• adrock

• Quite a regular

okay...here's another possible solution...

look at this link for the member photo 'hack'.

Once you have that installed, you could go through all of the templates for the forums and what not and add the smarty call for the member photo to the location where the avatar smarty call is. This would then replace all occurances of the avatar with the users photo, and the user can submit the photo when they register.

I realize that this is not exactly what you were looking for, but it's closer than the first suggestion and would only require messing around with the backend/database once, and things would be good going forward.

Good luck with it all...and don't forget to share whatever your final solution is with the rest of us Might be that others are looking for the same thing but just haven't asked.

Happy Xoopsing!

technigrafa

Thank you very much for your help! For now I think I am just going to edit people's profiles using phpmyadmin. I did about 20 so far and it was fairly painless.

Login

Who's Online

162 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 162

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits