ahkileez
"How do I....?" Layout and Content Questions
  • 2005/8/22 22:44

• ahkileez

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/12

Hello there!

I'm looking for a little assistance with some things on the new site I'm working out. I want to set the site out real nice with a fair amount of information available on the first page.

At the moment I'm looking to add in a few features but I don't know how to do them so I figured I'd ask here.

1) 'Welcome' Block - I've noticed on some sites there's a static sort of 'welcome' block with info on the site etc etc that does not change as, say, blocks like news and so forth would get updated. How do I make this?

2) Cookie'd Login - I was wondering if there was any way to save at least the login name of a user to the site or perhaps both so they don't have to login every time they visit? I know for me it can sometimes get quite annoying. The theme I'm using has a 'remember me' checkbox but that doesn't seem to do anything, and I set something in my user profile about caching my login name for a year and that doesn't seem to do anything either. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this just not possible with Xoops?

3) 'News Blurbs' - I've seen this on some XOOPS sites (for instance www.secondsquare.com that I found on the links section of this site) where news or perhaps articles ('m not sure which) is displayed in a long form on the front page with an option to read the full story. When I try news, all I get is a link with the headline, no blurb. I also notice that in some of those formats, it keeps the picture of the Topic like "game news' or 'world new's that the article is filed under. How do I set this up?

4) Side Banners - I'm looking to utilize large side banners on my site, put in to one of the side blocks, nice and big to use. I don't really care too much for where the theme I'm using places the regular 4x6 banners. Is there any way to set up the side banners to use the same storage and management system the regular banners use? I realize I'd probably have to put some custom code in a block or something.

5) Application Form - This is seperate from the signup form for the site itself. Now to be honest I haven't actually looked for a solution for this here, but I might as well ask. What I'd like to have is a sign up form for something seperate. The user fills in stuff like name, email address, etc etc. An ordinary sort of web form. Can XOOPS handle this (or is there a module available to do this) and then send the info to the webmaster (or maybe store it somewhere that it can be views/notified)?

6) Thumbnail Size - In the Website Info and Top Poster and so forth blocks, the system uses whatever avatar you upload and reduces the size of it to display there. Is there any way to adjust the size of it to something a little less cramped?

Anyway, these are all the questions I have for now. Thanks in advance for any help with them. If I have any further questions, I'll post them in this thread.

Lance_
Re: "How do I....?" Layout and Content Questions
  • 2005/8/22 23:15

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

1- Custom Block, position where you want and type anything in.

2- There is a field in User account to save username in a cookie for a year, and take a look athttp://www.peak.ne.jp/xoops/ for autologin hack

3-In the news block, choose Spotlight feature.

4-If all your banners are vertical you can put them in the side with the <?xoops_banner>

5- Liaise module

6- Not sure.

These are the quick and dirty answers
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

ahkileez
  • 2005/8/25 3:31

• ahkileez

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/7/12

Thanks for your response Lance :) I got this stuff the next day and have been trying to work on them since - hence the late reply (to your reply) here.

Lessee...

1- Worked! Thanks a lot :) I think I'll toss an image in there to make it fancy shmancy. Or not. Dunno.

2- I looked at the Autologin hack... it looks daunting to me. I'm not very code literate and I don't want to screw something up. ::sigh:: Why does XOOPS disallow remembering logins when pretty much every BB system does? (no idea about other CMSes)

3- Spotlight only allows one story (or no?) Currently I only have one news post in there as a testdrive thing. If I want to have a nice healthy bit of news stories do I have to like duplicate the module over and over?

4- That <?xoops_banner> thing didn't work for me so I tried a php code solution found elsewhere on this site and it works like a charm :)

5- Liaise works beautifully! Thanks man.

6- Guess I'll have to wait on a mod or somebody who knows the core stuff for an answer on that.

==================== New Things ==================

7- I could've sworn I've seen an option to "Duplicate" modules in my admin area before, when I mouse over a module or something. I had no need to do so so I never tried, but when I went to try tonight, I couldn't find any such option anywhere. Is there something in there for that or am I just crazy?

8- Is there anyway to set up the 'favicon' thing for your site with xoops?

LazyBadger

Quote:
Why does XOOPS disallow remembering logins when pretty much every BB system does?

A/ If somebody do it, why we must repeat it?
B/ XOOPS isn't just forum
C/ Current autologin was unsafe under some condition and allow some amount of hacker's successful attacks

Quote:
3- Spotlight only allows one story (or no?)

No, almost no... You can see filled News spotlight block here ("Recent News" block), or use separate Spotlight module (see "News Spotlight" block here), or another module and another presentation (only one of possible types, usable for me) here (4 top CC-blocks)... but in last case you can use one block with N latest news, select only needed topics for spotighting, don't use "block per topic" idea...
Quote:
6) Thumbnail Size

AFAIK, you have to edit block's templates - they have hardcoded sizes, at least I saw it for SiteInfo block

7. There aren't possiblities to duplicate modules (at least in admin's interface). Some blocks in some modules can be cloneable, nothing more (for XOOPS 2.0)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

Login

Who's Online

155 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 155

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits