PierreWerner
A few questions about Xoops

I dont know much about web design, so XOOPS was an easy way to get me started, but now I have a few questions about this

whole system.

First off, When people go to my website, after the url it displays /modules/news/. I've noticed on the XOOPS main page

it does not do this. I'd like to know how to fix this.

Also, I do not like the default news modual at all. I dont want it to display the category infront of the title of the

news post, but I do want to be able to use custom icons.

Another Gripe I have is the way the date is displayed. I'd like it to be a little simpler. Instead of 2005/8/15 17:00:00
I'd like August 15th, 2005, 5:00 PM

I have several others, but they concern making the site similar to www.cannabisnews.com.

This is my site link:

http://medicalmarijuanareferrals.com/modules/news/

I belive what I ask will need a new news modual, so I ask, where I can get some of them, or who can make me some, or

even, if it's easy enough, how I can make my own.

Thanks for listening,

Pierre Werner

brash
Re: A few questions about Xoops
  • 2005/8/17 4:11

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

You can set you default module to "none" in your XOOPS general preferences. This will remove the redirect.

You can edit the News template so that only the news item title is displayed. That is most certainly not a biggy.

You should be able to set custom images on a topic level. Not sure about per article level though, as I use AMS. You can use the built in XOOPS image manager to do this at any rate.

Not sure where to edit the date & time stamp format, never felt the need. I'm sure it is not too hard though.

Don't see there being too much of an issue to get the News module to display in a similar way to the site you linked to. It WILL take some effort on your behalf though to learn and work with the XOOPS system.
IT Headquarters
Innovative IT Solutions

PierreWerner

Thanks for Replying to my questions brash,

Hopefully you can help with this new problem that happened. When I set the default to "none", the opening page displayed everything except the news article. So my question is, How do I get the articles to pop back up?

Also, is there a way to get rid of how many "reads" and bytes more?

I'm not quite there to edit the News template just yet, its a biggy to me. My younger brother helped me with most of this site.

Thank You for all help,
Pierre Werner

jjcmoney
  • 2005/8/17 6:11

• jjcmoney

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/5/10

Don't know if you've found the answer to this yet...

You can adjust the time / date format for the news module by going to admin, then preferences>news>module preferences (I'm assuming you're using XOOPS 2.2).

There you'll be able to enter the appropriate php format for the look you're trying to achieve.

I think the following would work for you:

F j, Y g:i a

That would read as "August 17, 2005 5:00 pm" or so on...

If you set the start module as "none", then you'll have nothing displayed in the middle of your pages until you add a block to the center column. If you're using XOOPS 2.2, go to admin, then blocks>list all blocks. Then right under the words "blocks administration" you'll see a drop down list from which you can add the appropriate block under the "news" section in the drop down. Make sure you set it to "visible" and that you select the appropriate groups that you want to see the module, and set it so that it appears in the "center block - center" column.

(Unless you have made heavy modifications, Module content is displayed in the center of your XOOPS site. Block content can be positioned either in the left column, right column, or in three different positions in the center column.)

If all goes correctly, you'll have your news block visible in the top page (or any other page) of your site.

As far as the reads and bytes info, you would need to "comment out" the appropriate code in the template. That's not too big of a deal either. Let me know if you want to tackle that one...

JC
JC

PierreWerner

Thank You for asking jjcmoney about which XOOPS I am using, it is 2.0. I am asuming I need to upgrade to 2.2 pronto. So my question is I download and then upload to my site, no problems?

When I tried following your advise in 2.0 it isn't the same so I have to download 2.2. I am hoping I can fix all of the problems.

Thank You jjcmoney,
Pierre Werner

MadFish
  • 2005/8/17 7:11

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Take a look at the XOOPS FAQ for how to change the time/date format.

You don't *need* to upgrade to 2.2, some of the kinks are still being worked out. At the moment 2.0.13.1 is the more stable release (but without the latest and greatest features).

jjcmoney
  • 2005/8/17 16:54

• jjcmoney

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/5/10

I agree with MadFish. I would avoid upgrading to 2.2 unless you're really confident. 2.0.13.1 is the latest release of 2.0. There are some modules that have issues with 2.2, which is why I'm recommending you stay with 2.0 for now.

If I get time later today, I'll look at one of my sites that's done with 2.0 and try to revise my instructions.

The essence of my post remains the same, although the instructions would need to be ammended since you're using 2.0. You can still do everything I mentioned without upgrading.

JC
JC

PierreWerner

As far as the reads and bytes info, you would need to "comment out" the appropriate code in the template. That's not too big of a deal either. Let me know if you want to tackle that one...

Well, I've got the date thing down, and I understand how it works should I want to change it again. Thanks for your help

I looked around for the templates, but couldn't find the line to comment out. For the record, I want to take out the bytes and views out of the bottom bar, and the topic name out of the top. Could you tell me where to look? Thanks again for your help.

-Pierre Werner

stefan88
  • 2005/8/21 6:53

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

Quote:
I looked around for the templates, but couldn't find the line to comment out. For the record, I want to take out the bytes and views out of the bottom bar, and the topic name out of the top. Could you tell me where to look?

I don't think the pytes part is in a template. If I remember it is in 'class.newsstory.php' file.

PierreWerner

I'm new at xoops, and searched the class folder in root, and in the modules folder, but I coulnd't find the line I needed, could you be more specific?

Login

Who's Online

132 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 132

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits