new_bie
Xoops new version-too complicated?
  • 2005/8/15 8:57

• new_bie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

Hi Fellows!

I am very dissapointed with the XOOPS new version,it has been more complicated than ever,before the old version was much easier to configurate a module..
I recently installed the survey modxoops2_mod_survey_v0.6_mithrandir

and it's not working, I got this message in the front page:
No Forms Are Active

Dunno what 2 do?

Why has to be so complicated?
is there any personal XOOPS version with pre installed;poll,forum,chat and news- for people who wants to create a personal site..

Anyone who can give some tips to start a new portal in XOOPS in about 1 hour?

Thanks!

davidl2
Re: Xoops new version-too complicated?
  • 2005/8/15 9:01

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I actually managed to set a basic XOOPS 2.2 site up in about 30 mins (excluding upload time of course...!) with CBB 2.2 and WF-Downloads... It is possible, but it does take a lot of getting used to.

Check out JDseymours flash demos on his site.. he has some good ones for 2.2

Off topic - have you had much luck with Swedish language files? I notice you coming from that region, and I am currently working on a XOOPS 2.0.13 site for a new group for a Swedish friend.

metropolis
  • 2005/8/15 10:09

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/15

Quote:

new_bie wrote:
Anyone who can give some tips to start a new portal in XOOPS in about 1 hour?

Yes! Do not use XOOPS 2.2 if you wish to have a stable version with a lot of working modules which is easy to set up.

To my mind, XOOPS 2.2(.1) is an experimental version with numerous bugs but without any useful packaged modules.

Use 2.0.13 instead - in fact, I haven't seem anything new in 2.2 yet. OK, the admin page looks different, but not better.

JMorris
  • 2005/8/15 10:31

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:
To my mind, XOOPS 2.2(.1) is an experimental version with numerous bugs but without any useful packaged modules.

XOOPS 2.2.x is not an experimental version. Granted, it has a few bugs still left to be worked out, but in and of itself it is quite stable. The problem is that most module developers have not upgraded their modules to work with the new core.

XOOPS 2.2.x is suppose to be a new generation of XOOPS in which it is truly modular, much like Mambo, Typo3 and other powerful systems.

I will agree that it's release was, perhaps, a little premature (yes, I know it was delayed several times), but none-the-less, it's here. The core team and more notable module developers are working hard to get everything working correctly. We as a community must be patient and give these people time to do their work... Work that they are not even being paid to do. Let's be grateful, not greedy.

With any major version change of any software, there is always going to be an adjustment period. This is to be expected.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

tedsmith
  • 2005/8/15 10:38

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Seconded. These things always take a little time to get ironed out once first released, and we all help by letting each other know what the problems are.

davidl2
  • 2005/8/15 11:22

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

By all means - use 2.0.13 ... I have used it myself on a couple of new sites which need to go live immediately..

.. But 2.2.x will be ideal for sites shortly, when all the initial teething troubles have been sorted... and more modules work... and again, on sites which only require a couple of modules (which do work) I am using x2.2.1 :)

phppp
  • 2005/8/15 11:57

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

"XOOPS 2.2 is complicated" -- wrong, but you need get used to the new way, as David said.

"XOOPS 2.2 is buggy" -- true in some sense, but it is the nature of a new release. And the debug procedure will for sure be speed up if we all give our hands instead of just waiting for a bug-free stable XOOPS.

"without any useful packaged modules" -- yes, modules will not be packaged in the core release any more, except the system, profile and pm

davidl2
  • 2005/8/15 12:29

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

In the very near future - there will be module packs released to go alongside the almost-module-free XOOPS releases, which will replace having many different modules packaged with Xoops.

I would imagine that this will be left until all the major issues have been dealt with in regards to the current release... but a number of modules have been selected I suspect, and others are waiting for 2.2.x compatibility

new_bie
  • 2005/8/15 13:31

• new_bie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/29

I managed to install other poll named XOOPS blind, I just want to read some flash tutorials how to customise a exempel site like this for example:
http://myxoops.org/

How to create a portal with different blocks and how to customise them.
A flash tutorial about tiny content..am I asking too much?

thanks!

still new_bie

davidl2
  • 2005/8/15 13:38

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

Although it is possible to add an amount of Flash to XOOPS ... www.myxoops.com has developed some clever code to allow Flash menus and so on...

Login

Who's Online

154 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 154

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits