veggieryan
Mambo vs. Xoops... version 2.0...
  • 2005/8/13 18:37

• veggieryan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/19

So I wanted to continue this discussion... the other thread went off on a good tangent... yeah for the script forge!

...last i was here we were talking about a CRM module...
..someone mentioned SugarCRM was a great standalone app..
..indeed it is...
..then i found in their forge that it is already a component for mambo!
.. so, with the superior mambo-phpshop, sugarCRM, the java drag and drop enabled gallery2, the wysiwyg editor with easy to use image manager...
.. it was too much in favor of mambo..
.. so im switching all my sites one by one...

in XOOPS favor we have the easier to manage blocks and user groups.... that is cool..
but.. placement of blocks is more custom looking in mambo...
looks less like a common cms...
...also.. XOOPS has better blocks built in to the modules.. in mambo the blocks are called modules and the modules are called components... you usually need to download them seperately which is counter intuitive... but usuable...
.. i will always swing by xoops.org to see if anyone has released the ecommerce mod i was looking for.. or if the wysiwyg framework ever gets implemented at the core level..
... but im tired of hacking mods to get wysiwyg with poor image managers and buggy output...
.. mambo was just too easy...
.. XOOPS really needs the install modules by uploading the zip files feature... very cool way to maintain file integrity! there is even an app that will download the mambo files directly to your server.. cool..
.. and the built in file browser.. mamboxplorer rocks!

anyways.. some of my sites will inevitably stay on XOOPS so ill be around!!!
thanks guys!
ryan...

JMorris
Re: Mambo vs. Xoops... version 2.0...
  • 2005/8/13 20:22

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

And this is constructive for XOOPS in what way? Did you really need to start a new thread for this?

Sorry, but I don't see any suggestions for improvement. I just see you saying Mambo is better so I'm switching. Ok, in your humble opinion Mambo is better. In my humble opinion it's different, not necessarily better.
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Mithrandir

Now now, Ryan does say why he favours Mambo and which areas he find good in XOOPS, so although I also have trouble finding much use personally for the comments, I don't see why it cannot be a starting point for a discussion among the XOOPSers.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

JMorris
  • 2005/8/13 20:57

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Ok, I'm sorry.

::slinks back to his corner::
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

veggieryan
  • 2005/8/13 23:13

• veggieryan

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/19

JMorris...
... no worries mate, you were the one who turned me onto SugarCRM... can't believe its already mambo integrated.. it is literally changing my life and business.
i love xoops.. ive been here for years learning it... i just find that mambo has the key modules ready right now that i need to get things done.. it is critical for me that the media gallery be drag and drop compatible... my user base has mac users in it and drag n drop is all they will use.... it means more media for my sites...
the ecommerce is the real kicker.. mambo-phpshop is a really tight package... it sets a high standard... but im sure that if there ever is a xoops-zencart it will be just as good... (hint hint.. is anyone still doing this?)
... i hope some module devs are reading this and realize where XOOPS is lacking...
.. ecommerce, core wysiwyg, java uploader media gallery, CRM, etc...

there are modules for XOOPS that mambo doesnt have but for what i need its usually the other way around..
edit: wanted to be fair... XOOPS has the better wiki it seems... there is nothing like wiwi for mambo yet...
try searching mamboforge.net...

anyways..
xoopson!
ryan.

phppp
  • 2005/8/14 3:53

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Ryan, you are a user not a developer.
So, just go on with the CMS that has already had features you need.

BTW: except blocks and SugarCRM, your knowledges about XOOPS and Mambo are almost wrong. For one example, Mambo has a better wiki than XOOPS. You see, how lucky you are.
Since you have made your decision, no need more words.
Best wishes.

Login

Who's Online

152 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 152

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits